Speculation: Realistically how many teams can add at the deadline

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
With everyone so cap tight this year, how many teams can realistically add significant players even with salary retention. For instance Hall fully retained is still 3 mill, which unless someone is placed on the LTIR mid season, salary will also have to transfer back to the seller..

The top paid 18 teams have approximately 1.5 mill in space or less, in the bottom 13 teams there are only 4 teams that are projected to make the playoffs... seems like this years tradcentre will be the most boring yet

What are you opinions?

Last edited:
Reactions: JackFr

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Cap space accrues over the season, so more than you think (but injuries will still make things interesting). Retention might drive prices up or require the teams flush in cap-space (Ottawa, Columbus, Colorado, Montreal, New Jersey, etc.) to act as 3rd parties to facilitate trades.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
If Buff retires, then the Jet's would have room for a really good player at the deadline (or before)

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Cap space accrues over the season, so more than you think (but injuries will still make things interesting). Retention might drive prices up or require the teams flush in cap-space (Ottawa, Columbus, Colorado, Montreal, New Jersey, etc.) to act as 3rd parties to facilitate trades.

Good point you can take the avs out as they are contenders

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
I'm pretty skeptical they're at the level of contenders yet, but they'll be in a position to add and facilitate if they wanted to.

Fair enough. I'm bias because that's my team, but as long as Grubauer can continue his good play, no reason they arent in the conversation

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Don’t forget that cap space is calculated daily. So a team that has 1.5 million cap space til the deadline actually has somewhere near 4 million available. Except if LTIR is used
On top of that the selling team can also retain 50% of the cap hit essentially doubling the room the buyers have.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Boston should theoretically have some space at the deadline. Currently 150k under with 4 players to go on IR for around 7 mil. Bhlid will be sent down when off IR. Nordstrom will force someone else down or he could be traded along with Moore and Miller when they get off IR.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Toronto can always add as they somehow do not have to abide by the NHL salary cap.

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Just because you lack the ability to understand the salary cap, does not mean that a team isn't abiding by it. The Leafs are actually just over $10,000 under the cap.

----------------------------------

As far as the OP, this will hardly be a concern. If teams are adding, they are also likely subtracting. Part of any such trades, will involve players going back, if necessary for cap reasons.

Jeff Whelbourn

Jun 2, 2018
Just because you lack the ability to understand the salary cap, does not mean that a team isn't abiding by it. The Leafs are actually just over $10,000 under the cap.

----------------------------------

As far as the OP, this will hardly be a concern. If teams are adding, they are also likely subtracting. Part of any such trades, will involve players going back, if necessary for cap reasons.

Fair enough about my OP but what if the team doesnt have any salary player on the team that's expendable?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Fair enough about my OP but what if the team doesnt have any salary player on the team that's expendable?

Season is approx 186 days. Deadline last year was 42 days left in season.

$8 million contract. x 22.58%... is $1.8 million.... As part of the deal, trading team withholds half of salary... so new team has to find $900k room, for this player addition. 17 of 31 teams, can make this deal now... without trading anything back, without injury days lost during the season.

There will be more teams that can do this, than you'd think.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm expecting TB to rent a power forward. Hopefully Kreider. I could see us being in on Hall.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I'm expecting TB to rent a power forward. Hopefully Kreider. I could see us being in on Hall.

Either one of those adds would be huge for TB but, I think the ask would be too rich even on expiring contracts.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Either one of those adds would be huge for TB but, I think the ask would be too rich even on expiring contracts.

I think that they could pull off such a deal. The Conditional 1st pick from Vancouver, and a good prospect would likely do it, if NJ didn't think they could resign him.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Boston will have plenty of space to add Tyler Toffoli for a 2nd, which is exactly what is going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad