Speculation: Realistically how many teams can add at the deadline

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars have two contracts that combine for $7.1 Million they can put on LTIR when they need to. Some of that money will be used when the Stars have to call extra up if needed ( only 12 healthy forwards on the roster right now ) and the bonus money for Perry , Sekera and potentially bonus for Heiskanen and maybe Gurianov but whatever is left will be used for reeinforcements if there's something interesting out there that makes sense.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Either one of those adds would be huge for TB but, I think the ask would be too rich even on expiring contracts.
Hall maybe. Rentals aren't going for the prices they used to. We got McDonagh with a year left at a price we'll never miss, and recouped two picks with Miller.

JBB specifically said he wanted to have some space to accrue for the TDL. Maybe somebody major gets injured and plans change, but, right now, size in the top-six seems to be our weakness. We have assets to spend.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Stars have two contracts that combine for $7.1 Million they can put on LTIR when they need to. Some of that money will be used when the Stars have to call extra up if needed ( only 12 healthy forwards on the roster right now ) and the bonus money for Perry , Sekera and potentially bonus for Heiskanen and maybe Gurianov but whatever is left will be used for reeinforcements if there's something interesting out there that makes sense.

Can't use LTIR for performance bonus money. If the Stars use LTIR and Perry/Sekera/Heiskanen hit their bonuses then those bonus cap hits roll over to next season.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Imagine if Marner took a fair deal for his skill set, the Leafs could've been able to add Taylor Hall at the deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As was already pointed out... a team with 1.5M in cap space now will actually have close to 4M by deadline time.

So lots of teams will be in a position to add pieces, just like every season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can't use LTIR for performance bonus money. If the Stars use LTIR and Perry/Sekera/Heiskanen hit their bonuses then those bonus cap hits roll over to next season.

Sure about that ? Pretty much all the Stars writers talked about keeping some of the LTIR money back for performance bonuses . The way the team is structured and the performance bonuses i have my doubts the capguys would voluntarily just have the bonus money roll over into next year by default. The team has known for almost a year now that Hanzal will not ever be returning for example and his contract by himself covers pretty much all the bonus money the Stars could had out combined. I mean big chunks of the bonuses for Sekera or Perry aren't even that hard to hit. Just play 10-20-30 etc games and something is added.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sure about that ? Pretty much all the Stars writers talked about keeping some of the LTIR money back for performance bonuses . The way the team is structured and the performance bonuses i have my doubts the capguys would voluntarily just have the bonus money roll over into next year by default. The team has known for almost a year now that Hanzal will not ever be returning for example and his contract by himself covers pretty much all the bonus money the Stars could had out combined. I mean big chunks of the bonuses for Sekera or Perry aren't even that hard to hit. Just play 10-20-30 etc games and something is added.

Quite confident. We see 6-10 teams have to roll over bonuses every year because of LTIR, even though many would have theoretically had LTIR space to fit the bonuses.

I’m not familiar with the specifics of what the Stars may have been planning capwise with the Perry/Sekera bonuses.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So from what i've read is that the CBA allows teams to have a cushion for bonuses of 7.5% of the Cap . That would be $6.1125 Million. The maximum amount of money that could be paid out is $5.6 Million ( well in theory slightly more because players in the AHL but those are not going to get any and its still unter the cushion ) . So i guess the bonuses are not a problem afterall ? Hope i'm not wrong here.

Well we'll see what happens. At least 1-1.5 Million of the bonus money the Stars hand out to Perry and Sekera seem like a guarantee unless they just can't stay healthy at all.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So from what i've read is that the CBA allows teams to have a cushion for bonuses of 7.5% of the Cap . That would be $6.1125 Million. The maximum amount of money that could be paid out is $5.6 Million ( well in theory slightly more because players in the AHL but those are not going to get any and its still unter the cushion ) . So i guess the bonuses are not a problem afterall ? Hope i'm not wrong here.

Well we'll see what happens. At least 1-1.5 Million of the bonus money the Stars hand out to Perry and Sekera seem like a guarantee unless they just can't stay healthy at all.

The 7.5% cushion allows teams to temporarily exceed the cap. At the end of the season all the performance bonuses actually earned are tallied up. If those bonuses would cause the team to finish the season over the cap then that overage amount rolls over to the next year.

When teams are operating in LTIR space all performance bonuses earned roll over to the next year—the team has no spare payroll space to fit the bonuses in.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The 7.5% cushion allows teams to temporarily exceed the cap. At the end of the season all the performance bonuses actually earned are tallied up. If those bonuses would cause the team to finish the season over the cap then that overage amount rolls over to the next year.

When teams are operating in LTIR space all performance bonuses earned roll over to the next year—the team has no spare payroll space to fit the bonuses in.

Right now the team isn't operating in LTIR space though and will try to avoid it if possible at all and only make use of it if there's no other choice. How it exactly plays out in the end ? Wait and see i guess

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Right now the team isn't operating in LTIR space though and will try to avoid it if possible at all and only make use of it if there's no other choice. How it exactly plays out in the end ? Wait and see i guess

Yeah. I’m more pointing out that if they keep their current cap space of $75k then potentially $5.6m - $75k = $5.525m in performance bonus overage could carry over to next year.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Ottawa could add a lot idk there's something other teams want from us but that would be the basis us making a deadline trade of a player out and could take back non long term salary and picks.

We have 49 contracts I think though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah. I’m more pointing out that if they keep their current cap space of $75k then potentially $5.6m - $75k = $5.525m in performance bonus overage could carry over to next year.

For that to happen i'm fairly certain Heiskanen has to win Norris and maybe even the Heart Trophy though :laugh: . Also the Stars won the cup in that case :thumbu:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Teams will get creative I’m sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if teams ship off expiring contracts and use retention in order to move these guys at the deadline.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it's something that will have to be watched in the New Year, but if there are a lot of teams with guys to sell you might not want to hold onto your guy for too long.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Pretty sure there is no cap restraints in the playoffs. Kane got injured in 2015 and they added Vermette at the deadline. Then Kane came back for the playoffs which would have pit them over the cap

There are no constraints once the playoffs start, but there are constraints at the trade deadline. It’s not common for teams to have players out on LTIR at the deadline who will be recovered for the playoffs.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
If I remember correctly, in 2015 the Hawks left Kane on LTIR until the end of the regular season to stay cap compliant. He then came back for the playoffs. Thought was if they wouldn't have been using LTIR he could have comeback a couple of games earlier to get in a couple of games before the playoffs but they had acquired Timonen, Vermette and Desjardains at the deadline after Kane went on LTIR and him coming back early would have put them over the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad