Online Series: Reacher (season 2 Dec 15 2023)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I’ve enjoyed both seasons for different reasons, but Season One was more the Reacher I love.

As we’re on pet peeves, nothing bothers me more as a trauma counsellor than seeing ordinary people who’ve never been shot at/ kidnapped/ threatened before show no trauma response whatsoever, and instead respond like seasoned combat vets.
As someone who has worked in construction, my pet peeve is how they found a pool of wet cement at 3am to put bodies in. Season 2 is straight trash and complete garbage.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
That’s an excellent observation.
Not to mention how the two girls survived the assault rifles shooting up the car. Not only did they survive, but they somehow managed to sneak into the trunk from the front seats inside the car while driving in reverse and while being shot at by three guys with assault rifles. I also didn't know car rental places rented bullet-proof cars; the last time I rented a car, Hertz never gave me that option.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Last episode was much better. When he's with the guy in the hospital, "the last thought that goes through your head will be 'holy shit he really did it.'" Got a good chuckle out of me.

Reactions: Primary Assist

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Not to mention how the two girls survived the assault rifles shooting up the car. Not only did they survive, but they somehow managed to sneak into the trunk from the front seats inside the car while driving in reverse and while being shot at by three guys with assault rifles. I also didn't know car rental places rented bullet-proof cars; the last time I rented a car, Hertz never gave me that option.

You,my friend, are hilarious. Get out of construction and go into acting!!

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
You,my friend, are hilarious. Get out of construction and go into acting!!
I am actually a professional poker player now and invested early into Bitcoin. I recently got back into acting. I did a ton of stage acting in my teens till early 20s till I developed a bad anxiety disorder. Hopefully one day I can be in a terribly written show like season two of Reacher.

Reactions: Primary Assist

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I’ve enjoyed both seasons for different reasons, but Season One was more the Reacher I love.

As we’re on pet peeves, nothing bothers me more as a trauma counsellor than seeing ordinary people who’ve never been shot at/ kidnapped/ threatened before show no trauma response whatsoever, and instead respond like seasoned combat vets.

In fairness, the characters are American.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah, I have a pretty high threshold for dumb in my action shows, but this really pushes it.
Ya, I am usually ok with letting stuff go, but this is just cringe-worthy, imo. The construction site scene, the terrible car chase scene, the awful biker gang scene, the car shoot-up where the girls got in the trunk, and the blind assassins that someone paid money to who could not hit a shot at the funeral.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally watched Episode 7. Hardly anything in it was from the book. The main events that would've been in the episode and made for exciting TV were left out and replaced with ones that didn't have much to do with the plot. I don't mind if there's good reason to make changes in adaptations, but it feels like the writers just did it here for the sake of it or because they thought that they could improve upon the book. One of the few things that they kept in was the boss offering to let Reacher and his friends live if he turned himself in... but Reacher in the book doesn't even consider it and, instead, sneaks into the compound and takes out the guards one by one. I can't think of why the writers wouldn't keep that unless they thought that Reacher giving himself up would make for a good cliffhanger. By doing so, though, they arguably altered the character to suit themselves.

Last edited:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
That helicopter scene was painful to watch..
Totally. All I could think of was Schwarzenegger and Stallone level over the top cheese.
At least make it plausible.
I liked the ending, as it sets up a more canonical
Season Three, but the whole episode would rush you to the hospital if you were lactose intolerant.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
High tech facility that requires eye and finger scanning doesn't have cameras. Bad guys could just lift Reachers legs and send him out of the chopper but for some reason kick him and waste like 10 minutes. Why not just kill them when you have then tied up and in handcuffs. These are the dumbest bad guys ever.

If you liked this garbage season i honestly do not know what to say. What a waste, season one was great what a massive drop off imo.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, that was dumb. Dixon and the gurney, combined, weigh about the same as Reacher and that plus momentum and gravity should've pulled him over the edge, since he wasn't braced in any way. Then, the lowly pilot knew details of the operation that he probably wouldn't have (and didn't in the book). Finally, the Homeland Security guy asked Reacher where the money was when he could plainly see him holding an extra large briefcase, and then just let him go. Speaking of the helicopter scene, in the book, after sneaking onto the property (i.e. not turning himself in), Reacher hid in the back of the helicopter (which was small and for business travel, not a big army transport) and surprised them in flight. The show writers made it less realistic and more like a Mission: Impossible movie.

Overall, this season changed as much from the book as it kept, and all of the changes were not for the better, IMO. It just amazes me that these writers had a story from a writer a lot more talented than them, who researched everything to make it as realistic as possible, and they rejected and re-wrote half of it. What hubris to think that they could improve it. I think that it would've been a better season if they had just done a straighter adaptation (though it still would've been an ensemble show and quite a bit different than Season 1).

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Overall, this season changed as much from the book as it kept, and all of the changes were not for the better, IMO. It just amazes me that these writers had a story from a writer a lot more talented than them, who researched everything to make it as realistic as possible, and they rejected and re-wrote half of it to try to improve it. What hubris. If they had just done a straighter adaptation of the book, it would've been a better season (though it still would've been an ensemble show and quite a bit different than Season 1).
Have not read the Reacher books, so thanks for the comparison between book and show.

Do wish they stuck more to the book from the sounds of things. When you have 5.5 hours to tell the book, that seems like enough time to get it closer to the books vs the standard sub 2 hour movie adaptation of most books.

Reactions: Osprey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well, that was dumb. Dixon and the gurney weigh about the same as Reacher and those plus gravity should've pulled him over the edge, since he wasn't braced in any way. Then, the lowly pilot knew details of the operation that he probably wouldn't have (and didn't in the book). Finally, the Homeland Security guy asked Reacher where the money was when he could plainly see him holding an extra large briefcase, and then just let him go. Speaking of the helicopter scene, in the book, after sneaking onto the property (i.e. not turning himself in), Reacher hid in the back of the helicopter (which was small and for business travel, not a big army transport) and surprised them in flight. The show writers made it less realistic and more like a Mission: Impossible movie.

Overall, this season changed as much from the book as it kept, and all of the changes were not for the better, IMO. It just amazes me that these writers had a story from a writer a lot more talented than them, who researched everything to make it as realistic as possible, and they rejected and re-wrote half of it. What hubris to think that they could improve it. I think that it would've been a better season if they had just done a straighter adaptation (though it still would've been an ensemble show and quite a bit different than Season 1).
Well said. The entire copter scene was ridiculous, made worse by ignoring the original source material that was far less juvenile. I don't think the book series was aimed at 16-year olds, so why in the world is the TV series catering to them?

You have an almost perfect lead actor playing Reacher, an interesting backstory, a decent mystery to unravel, and a strong villain in Robert Patrick. A shame they had to dumb it down so much.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My favorite part is how Reacher got a 4 inch blade jammed into his forearm while the other dude got shot in the leg and all they did was put a dressing with some tape over it like that'll fix it. Reacher is a likeable character so I can suspend my belief a bit to enjoy the show even how far fetched it got. I liked the backstory so having his friends around made sense. Obviously lone wolf Reacher is the better version and it seems like season 3 will go that way. Season 1 was better but I still enjoyed Season 2.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty stupid. Especially how in the helicopter with the pilot at knife point and a bullet hole in the shield that the whole time it maintained perfectly level altitude and the characters were able to have a calm conversation. That's just poor attention to detail, and poor attention to detail makes for poor TV. Amazon cuts you a cheque and I think you should do better.

Season 2 was definitely a letdown. What's annoying is the wasted potential, a lot of good ingredients but they were just not assembled very well.

Reactions: Lshap and Osprey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The consensus is season 2 took a wrong turn trying to turn Reacher into another teenaged Marvel Comics superhero. I'm okay with minor plausibility gaps; I'm not okay with treating this well developed character like a cartoon.

However, for me, a wrong turn doesn't equal a bad series, which is why I'll watch season 3. Reacher will be on his own and, hopefully, adhering just a bit closer to human physics.

The rest of you planning to keep watching, or is this thread going to become me talking to myself?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad