Online Series: Reacher (season 2 Dec 15 2023)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I like the fact while it does not take it self seriously they atleast try with a straight face.

I thought the Sarah Connor thing was too on the nose even for them. It was funny but too wall breaking

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see what you guys were talking about. Ritchson looks like he swallowed Tom Cruise in between seasons. He's massive now.

They really sped through a lot in that first episode. In fact, they covered nearly the first quarter of the book in it. They could've gone a little more slowly, IMO.

Speaking of the book, I'm a little disappointed that they changed the setting from the West Coast to the East Coast, due to it being cheaper to film in Toronto. I understand it, but this is also the studio that blew nearly $1B on The Rings of Power.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAngryHank

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I see what you guys were talking about. Ritchson looks like he swallowed Tom Cruise in between seasons. He's positively massive now.

They really sped through a lot in that first episode. In fact, they covered nearly the first quarter of the book in it. They could've gone a little more slowly, IMO.

Speaking of the book, I'm a little disappointed that they changed the setting from the West Coast to the East Coast because it was cheaper to film in Toronto. Amazon will blow $1B on The Rings of Power, but chase $20M tax credits for their cheaper, more successful shows.
Ya there is an article about how he put on another 10 lbs of muscle for the role here is his workouts. Reacher Season 2: What Is Alan Ritchson’s Workout Routine & Plan?.

He was supposedly 205 before he got the role and bulked up to close to 230 first season 1 and now is closer to 240.

Personally only got to watch the first episode so far but I like what I see.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
To be honest, I do prefer Tom Cruise's version a little better. That Reacher, you could take home to your mom, take him to Church (of Scientology kaching!) on Sundays. This one seems like a complete meathead, dumb jock vibe, all he does is punch faces vibe.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To be honest, I do prefer Tom Cruise's version a little better. That Reacher, you could take home to your mom, take him to Church (of Scientology kaching!) on Sundays. This one seems like a complete meathead, dumb jock vibe, all he does is punch faces vibe.
Assuming you're serious, I don't get how you can watch and listen to Ritchson and see a dumb jock. He's as analytical as he is physical, which perfectly reflects the character in the book. I read all of Lee Child's work and, much to my surprise, Ritchson nails Reacher in a way Tom Cruise never could. Not only is Ritchson an almost perfect physical match for Reacher, he carries himself with the right degree of serene calmness, a very different vibe than Cruise.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Assuming you're serious, I don't get how you can watch and listen to Ritchson and see a dumb jock. He's as analytical as he is physical, which perfectly reflects the character in the book. I read all of Lee Child's work and, much to my surprise, Ritchson nails Reacher in a way Tom Cruise never could. Not only is Ritchson an almost perfect physical match for Reacher, he carries himself with the right degree of serene calmness, a very different vibe than Cruise.
Reacher is basically a TE/DE in the NFL. Think TJ Watt, Gronk, Nick Bosa all in the 6'4 - 6'6 and 250-265 lbs. He would have that kind of prescence.

With camera angles, they can make Alan look much bigger than others. He's somewhere in between 6'2-6'3 which is close enough. Also does not need to weight 250, just needs to look like he's think.

He's doing a fine job in the role. A streaming platform works best for the Reacher books vs a 2 hour movie. 8 episodes at 40 minutes each gives them 320 minutes, thus like 5.5 hours of storytelling, which is enough time to develop the supporting characters like Finley and Roscoe from S1.

Reactions: Lshap

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I like the show. I like the Reacher character and the guy who's playing him. Can't say I've cared much for the supporting cast yet this season but maybe they'll grow on me. Seems like he's written as a lone wolf one man against the world with a mysterious backstory type so find it a little strange they put him immediately into a whole team of people with a massive backstory.

I just mean I've seen ensemble investigative cop thriller/drama before. Many times. Thought the 1st season offered something different and hope the 2nd can build on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaheh and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I like the show. I like the Reacher character and the guy who's playing him. Can't say I've cared much for the supporting cast yet this season but maybe they'll grow on me. Seems like he's written as a lone wolf one man against the world with a mysterious backstory type so find it a little strange they put him immediately into a whole team of people with a massive backstory.

I just mean I've seen ensemble investigative cop thriller/drama before. Many times. Thought the 1st season offered a something different and hope the 2nd can build on it.
I agree. It isn't the book that I would've adapted. A typical Reacher story involves him drifting through an area (often outside of big cities), helping a stranger, getting caught up in something that's no business of his, eventually taking it personally and acting mostly like a one-man army to make things right. The first season (based on the first book) was a good example of that. This season is the opposite in every way. Perhaps that's partly why the producers chose this book to adapt, to make sure that Season 2 didn't feel like a re-hash of Season 1. Like you said, though, it's made it feel like many other ensemble investigative thrillers that we've seen before. I hope that they go back to the "lone wolf" drifter do-gooder formula for Season 3, since those are the Reacher stories that I find more appealing and different from other TV/streaming shows.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saw episode 4 on Friday. Interesting how the antagonist is looking to put a stop to Reacher. And how his team is putting the clues together on what the antagonist is planning to do.

I get Reacher being this big tough guy who can take on multiple attackers, but his entire team as well?

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
This season has started to get a bit boring and repetitive.

"Oh look, let's go on a wild goose chase and find some clues that minimally moves the plot forward"

"Oh look, some baddies are trying to kill us again, I guess we just have to easily kill/beat the shit out of all of them"

Reactions: Vaheh and kihei

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This season has started to get a bit boring and repetitive.

"Oh look, let's go on a wild goose chase and find some clues that minimally moves the plot forward"

"Oh look, some baddies are trying to kill us again, I guess we just have to easily kill/beat the shit out of all of them"
I'm not saying you're wrong, but... that was pretty much the formula for the first season too.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My biggest annoyance? They CGI bullet wounds instead of using squibs. When did that become a thing? How is that cheaper? And it looks like shit.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was that fun? A grumpy Reacher is one thing, a belligerently charmless Reacher is something else.

And so we have four guys with automatic weapons who need to knock two women off in a car? And fail. I know you could pick this nit with countless movies, but it doesn't make this mindless trope any less a tired cliche when this series gets lazy enough to do it.

When does the funny guy actually get to be funny?

Reactions: Osprey

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
They ruined Reacher. Should have stuck with Lone Wolf Reacher. Season 2 is absolute garbage.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I'm surprised with the level of vitriol on here. Reacher is as enjoyable as ever, my only nitpick is I wish they gave him a little more time for the random misadventures like him rescuing the dog in Season 1.

He also has the same number of "teammates" this season as last season. Three this time around, and Neagley, Findlay, and Roscoe last time. Yes it's fun when he's a lone wolf but I think we will still get plenty of that.

Seems pretty obvious the shorter guy on the team is going to bite the bullet. So much time has been spent building his connection with his family.

And lastly, yes, every episode is more or less the same. But the books are all pretty much the same thing repackaged with a different setting and supporting cast and the fans haven't seemed to mind that over the past 30 years.

Eagerly looking forward to the next episode

Reactions: I am not exposed

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I'm surprised with the level of vitriol on here. Reacher is as enjoyable as ever, my only nitpick is I wish they gave him a little more time for the random misadventures like him rescuing the dog in Season 1.

He also has the same number of "teammates" this season as last season. Three this time around, and Neagley, Findlay, and Roscoe last time. Yes it's fun when he's a lone wolf but I think we will still get plenty of that.

Seems pretty obvious the shorter guy on the team is going to bite the bullet. So much time has been spent building his connection with his family.

And lastly, yes, every episode is more or less the same. But the books are all pretty much the same thing repackaged with a different setting and supporting cast and the fans haven't seemed to mind that over the past 30 years.

Eagerly looking forward to the next episode
Season 2 is complete garbage compared to Season 1. The best episodes of season 1 were all of them but the last one. This entire season is like the last episode of season 1 over and over. Stupid action scenes: tell me why, late at night, a construction site had wet cement? Or why a guy climbed up after watching Reacher climb up the building, like, Go kill Reachers; partner with your partners. The villains in this season are mentally disabled, and it's playing like an action B-movie. Reacher in the books is a lone wolf detective; he's not some action superhero. Season 2 is garbage; if you like it, you like it, but I think it's straight trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad