Online Series: Reacher (season 2 Dec 15 2023)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The consensus is season 2 took a wrong turn trying to turn Reacher into another teenaged Marvel Comics superhero. I'm okay with minor plausibility gaps; I'm not okay with treating this well developed character like a cartoon.

However, for me, a wrong turn doesn't equal a bad series, which is why I'll watch season 3. Reacher will be on his own and, hopefully, adhering just a bit closer to human physics.

The rest of you planning to keep watching, or is this thread going to become me talking to myself?
Not a reader of the book, but a lot of the action sequences in season 2 make you scratch your head. The shootout in Denver, the helicopter scenes, are a bit too over the top.

With a team, the feel for season 2 was going to be different, which I guess is why the picked it. Maybe this book could have waited til season 3 instead vs season 2 to get a bit more in depth with Reacher.

Will watch season 3. Hopefully, they get back to being more reality driven vs. making Reacher seem like Captain America. He's the size of an NFL TE or DE, at 6'5 and 250 lbs. But the human body can only take so much punishment and lift so much. 1 arm to hold roughly 200 lbs in the helicopter while absorbing attacks is just too much....

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Well said. The entire copter scene was ridiculous, made worse by ignoring the original source material that was far less juvenile. I don't think the book series was aimed at 16-year olds, so why in the world is the TV series catering to them?

You have an almost perfect lead actor playing Reacher, an interesting backstory, a decent mystery to unravel, and a strong villain in Robert Patrick. A shame they had to dumb it down so much.
Would have been a good opportunity for a cat-n-mouse action sequence a la the house fight from S1 that the bus yard fight failed at.

I did like the subversive anti-climax with AM.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I tapped out after episode 5 or 6.

I've read about 90% of the Reacher books, including this one, and I don't know... the season was just completely uninteresting. I'm not compelled to watch any more of it.

Side gripe with Hollywood in general.... I wish more movies and shows would just drop the score entirely. The best movies and shows I've watched have basically zero score. No haunting strings. No triumphant nonsense music. No EDM keys cueing you to feel a certain way. Just a solid story, solid dialog, and solid acting.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I tapped out after episode 5 or 6.

I've read about 90% of the Reacher books, including this one, and I don't know... the season was just completely uninteresting. I'm not compelled to watch any more of it.

Side gripe with Hollywood in general.... I wish more movies and shows would just drop the score entirely. The best movies and shows I've watched have basically zero score. No haunting strings. No triumphant nonsense music. No EDM keys cueing you to feel a certain way. Just a solid story, solid dialog, and solid acting.
To me, it felt too much like a generic network show and not enough like the premium cable show that it should've been. I didn't get the feeling that what I was watching was special or that money was well spent on it. Also, it seems like a serious misstep when most of the appeal is in the lead character and you take the focus off of him in order to spread it around to characters that are less interesting.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
To me, it felt too much like a generic network show and not enough like the premium cable show that it should've been. I didn't get the feeling that what I was watching was special or that money was well spent on it. Also, it seems like a serious misstep when most of the appeal is in the lead character and you take the focus off of him in order to spread it around to characters that are less interesting.

Yeah I know what you mean. The production and execution felt very vanilla and cliche, like they mailed it in.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I know what you mean. The production and execution felt very vanilla and cliche, like they mailed it in.
Said it earlier, but this book adaptation, probably should have waited til season 3 or 4 after getting to know Reacher a bit. But, for these shows, probably unknown how many seasons they go so they opted for something very different from the original. Which I get.

But, the execution didn't seem as good as season 1.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
oh man this season was terrible lol. such cookie cutting writing for the story. that being said i did watch it all. the action was very entertaining and well done but the story and how everything always falls in place for reacher was a reach lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad