Rumor: Re-signings of Flip and Cleary

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
While this echoes most of what's been said here already.. Flip gets re-signed, Cleary is told thanks for your time.

In this injury riddled season, we've gotten to see that we've got prospects ready to fill roles on the bottom 6. I'd say some still have room for growth as well. That SHOULD seal Cleary's fate.

Filppula has the skill that we need in a top 6 player. If he decides to test the market, I'd bet someone overpays like Buffalo did w Leino. Hope we lock him up, even at a slight overpayment. Slight overpayment early is better than trying to keep up w a bidding war, that we know Kenny can't or won't do. I'm not going to worry about what Datsyuk may or may not do later on.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Cleary had his moments with the organization, and I'm very glad we had him for the time that we did. But, his time has passed. That is more than apparent now. However, based off his play time he's been receiving this season, I'm worried Ken and Mike see it differently.

As for Fil, 4.5 is a little steep considering his play this season, I hope we can take him down to even 4.0 per, because he is worth keeping, at least short term.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Yeah, no. You don't give garbage a two year five million dollar deal then ask Flip to take a discount.

Giving broken down, aging roleplayers that kind of contract is why we're having the issues we've been having. Liked his game when he was healthy, but it's time to move on. If ouir cupboards were barren, I might think a bit different, but they're not.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
This is Dan Cleary we are talking here...Holland and Babcock's pet. They freakin gave the guy a try-out for Team Canada in 2010.

There's no doubt that he should not be re-signed, but Kenny and Babs will offer him almost the exact same deal that Bert got. It's inevitable.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This is Dan Cleary we are talking here...Holland and Babcock's pet. They freakin gave the guy a try-out for Team Canada in 2010.

There's no doubt that he should not be re-signed, but Kenny and Babs will offer him almost the exact same deal that Bert got. It's inevitable.

And wildly, wildly infuriating. I wonder how Ferraro would be in place of Cleary next year. Right now even.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I really don't think $4.5m is unreasonable for Filppula.

Cleary should be gone but Holland will probably give him a multi-year deal.

Agree with both. And I liked Cleary a lot when he was effective.

It's not a matter of money, either. We need available roster spots.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
I don't even get how they could entertain the thought of re-signing Cleary when they need too make room for Nyquist and Tatar next year (could be sent down when Helm, Filppula and Samuelsson come back). Also, isn't Andersson out of options next year? Plus, talking about a multi year deal when you also have Sheahan/Ferraro for the year after is absolutely stupid.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
With all of the prospects we got plus potential FA signings we should riot if Cleary is re-signed even if it's for the league minimum.

The guy was a solid player for a few years for us but he is just about done and the Wings should have no use for him. I'm sure he could get a job still with someone like Winnipeg, Florida or NYI.

The Wings should also entertain amnestying Bert and/or Sammy, even though they only have one year left after this one. But who else are you gonna save that for? Franzen? It has to be used on someone who was on the roster when the lockout ended.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if Cleary's back next year I think i'll probably literally start sending Ken Holland hate mail

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
If ken holland feels he needs to be loyal to cleary. I have no issue with them resigning him. As long as it is with a pay decrease. And he is used in the proper role. Which in my eyes would be as a 13th or 14th forward. And only plays in the event of an injury and he goes absolutely no where near the top six. Also as long as he isn't taking a roster spot from a younger more effective player.

Flip, I don't know. The datsyuk possibly leaving thing does nothing for me in this argument. So far this season he has done absolutely nothing to prove to me why he deserves a raise over his current pay. Especially when a guy like nyquist or Tatar could step in and be just as if not more effective at a much lower cap hit. Allowing the wings to use that money elsewhere. If it were me. I hope he plays a bit better from now till the deadline. Try and sign him for 4 mil or under. If he doesn't budge off the 4.5. Trade him. That's me.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
I really don't think Cleary gets any more than a tryout like Draper and Maltby got before they were forced to retire.

I'd be surprised if he ends up back here. Someone else will beat us, if even by $100k. And if the rumors about him hating Babcock are true, I doubt he'd re-up anyway.

Why would Cleary hate Babcock? Babcock gives me special treatment, if nothing else. Cleary can do no wrong in his book.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Re-signing Cleary would only make sense if we didn't already have Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. Even then it's better to let him walk.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I've liked Cleary and his drive but enough is enough the guy can't even really do much anymore. If they resign him I will seriously consider following another team lol. I hate seeing one of my favorite players of all time stuck with him and abby. Absolutely no excuses for that.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If Babcock is back I don't want Cleary back no matter the cost, period.

I really don't want Cleary back at. I really appreciate and respect what he has brought to this organization, but it's over.

But if I have to watch another season of Babcock using him like its 2009 I'll lose my mind.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't even get how they could entertain the thought of re-signing Cleary when they need too make room for Nyquist and Tatar next year
Because they're not particularly interested in making room for them. Babcock wants old and defensive. Holland wants old and offensive. At no point do their opinions intersect at young and offensive.

Flip, I don't know. The datsyuk possibly leaving thing does nothing for me in this argument. So far this season he has done absolutely nothing to prove to me why he deserves a raise over his current pay. Especially when a guy like nyquist or Tatar could step in and be just as if not more effective at a much lower cap hit.
They could replace him offensively, but not defensively. Unfortunately, team defense is the concern that's holding Tatar and Nyquist down. I think it will continue to.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
So... some of you think Franzen will be bought out. A lot of you think $4.5m is too pricey and Flip should just be let go.

How's that Samuelsson signing working out ahead of keeping Hudler?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad