Rumor: Re-signings of Flip and Cleary

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Both teams could use a shakeup, that's for sure.

I'd be completely fine with this. As long as Kenny keeps his hands off our 1st round pick.

According the the Trade Board, that's no good, but Franzen and Quincey for Campbell seems to be okay.

:dunno:

Maybe drop Filppula and Gustavsson off to Calgary after that for a pick and prospect or something.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
According the the Trade Board, that's no good, but Franzen and Quincey for Campbell seems to be okay.

:dunno:

Maybe drop Filppula and Gustavsson off to Calgary after that for a pick and prospect or something.

Trade board is good for amusement, but it's rarely accurate to what NHL GMs are thinking. All it takes is one GM to be really high on Filppula and you've got yourself a stew.

All it took was one GM to be high on Quincey. ;)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Fil might be(or more than likely is) worth north of $5M on the market, but not to the Wings. Also, his signing should have nothing to do with whether Pavel stays or not imo.

I get it, if Pavel leaves and Fil leaves we are looking at trouble down the middle. BUT, Pavel can't be replaced with anything we currently have, while Fil can be. Tatar or Nyquist have a good chance to replace Filppula's services on the wing, Jarnkrok or Sheahan have a good chance to replace his services at center. Maybe not right away, but in a near future.

So.. If he's looking for more than $4.5M, put him on the market and see what's there. I'd look for a 1st round pick in return as the main piece coming back. 1st & 3rd, or 1st & mid prospect would seem fair to me.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Fil might be(or more than likely is) worth north of $5M on the market, but not to the Wings. Also, his signing should have nothing to do with whether Pavel stays or not imo.

I get it, if Pavel leaves and Fil leaves we are looking at trouble down the middle. BUT, Pavel can't be replaced with anything we currently have, while Fil can be. Tatar or Nyquist have a good chance to replace Filppula's services on the wing, Jarnkrok or Sheahan have a good chance to replace his services at center. Maybe not right away, but in a near future.

So.. If he's looking for more than $4.5M, put him on the market and see what's there. I'd look for a 1st round pick in return as the main piece coming back. 1st & 3rd, or 1st & mid prospect would seem fair to me.

This is my thought process as well. It's going to suck to lose Flipper but he can be replaced so we should move him while his stock is high. Cleary needs to be let go. Don't get me wrong, I'm not Cleary hater but it's time. Give him a hug and some thanks, and maybe offer him a new job as a skate sharpener.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
I really don't think Cleary gets any more than a tryout like Draper and Maltby got before they were forced to retire.

I'd be surprised if he ends up back here. Someone else will beat us, if even by $100k. And if the rumors about him hating Babcock are true, I doubt he'd re-up anyway.

Why would Cleary hate Babcock? Babcock is the only one left in the league who has any faith in him.

r7carlson24

Mar 15, 2013
I'm in no way a Filppula supporter. I think he's been a decent player for us, but he certainly hasn't reached that next level that the Wings have been waiting for. The idea of paying him anything more than $4 million a year is frightening. He's a solid player, but I'd like to see the Wings move him and perhaps a prospect at the trade deadline to help out this team.

As for Cleary, I think it only makes sense to keep him or Bertuzzi, but not both. They are both decent Power Forwards who are reaching the end of their careers and have struggled with injuries. There's really no need to have both of them on the team.

The Wings can be too loyal sometimes. We have a lot of younger talent who seem ready for their shot in the NHL and it's time to let them get the playing time with Datsyuk and Zetterberg before it's too late.

RedWingsNow*

Pavel's age/contract/russia is a key factor in any decisions to resign Flip and it makes Flip more valuable to the Wings.

If Jarkrok or Sheahan prove capable, you can bounce Flip to Zetterberg's wing or one of the kids' leftwing.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I'm in no way a Filppula supporter. I think he's been a decent player for us, but he certainly hasn't reached that next level that the Wings have been waiting for. The idea of paying him anything more than $4 million a year is frightening. He's a solid player, but I'd like to see the Wings move him and perhaps a prospect at the trade deadline to help out this team.

As for Cleary, I think it only makes sense to keep him or Bertuzzi, but not both. They are both decent Power Forwards who are reaching the end of their careers and have struggled with injuries. There's really no need to have both of them on the team.

The Wings can be too loyal sometimes. We have a lot of younger talent who seem ready for their shot in the NHL and it's time to let them get the playing time with Datsyuk and Zetterberg before it's too late.

There is nothing Power Forward left to either of their games and the fact that both have been struggling with injuries for a while now is exactly the need that both of them should be gone.

And Filppula at $4 mil + is just not worth it. His decent 2-way game and tendency of playing on the outside, pass-first-shoot-as-an-absolute-worse-case-scenario game is easily replaced.

r7carlson24

Mar 15, 2013
There is nothing Power Forward left to either of their games and the fact that both have been struggling with injuries for a while now is exactly the need that both of them should be gone.

Agreed, I would not be upset if both were gone. With Bert under contract for another year I imagine he will be back unless he decides he's had enough and retires.

I'm ready for a youth movement of sorts. We're seeing it on our defense and the results aren't as bad as I feared. If management is truly high on all of the prospects they talk about then it's time to give them a shot or part ways with them in a trade. There's potentially a log jam of forward prospects if you believe the hype, but there's not enough spots for all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad