Rumor: Re-signings of Flip and Cleary

RedWingsNow*

So... some of you think Franzen will be bought out. A lot of you think $4.5m is too pricey and Flip should just be let go.

How's that Samuelsson signing working out ahead of keeping Hudler?

Regardless of whether or not someone thinks the Wings should pay Hudler $4M...I can't see too many people justifying $3M a year to Sammy.

Some people like say he can do things that Hudler can't, because he's bigger and faster. But he was never more than a good skater. And that speed has betrayed him over time. And I'm sure this latest injury didn't help

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So... some of you think Franzen will be bought out. A lot of you think $4.5m is too pricey and Flip should just be let go.

How's that Samuelsson signing working out ahead of keeping Hudler?

I think Brunner has filled his roster spot more than adequately.

Sammy wasn't a good signing at all, but whether he was signed or not the Wings weren't going to give Hudler 16 million for 4 years.

Glad to see he's playing well in Calgary though. Never disliked him.

4.5 for last years Flip isn't a bad deal, but this years Flip hasn't earned that kind of contract at all. I'm interested to see how much of his poor play has to do with injury hopefully when he comes back its at last years level of play.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
This forum sure is a hoot. At LGW, people accepted immediately that these were nothing more than unreliable rumors. Over here, people immediately began raving about how terrible a GM Holland is.

Well done, folks.

CloneHakanPlease*

This forum sure is a hoot. At LGW, people accepted immediately that these were nothing more than unreliable rumors. Over here, people immediately began raving about how terrible a GM Holland is.

Well done, folks.

This is speculation not rumors. Author seems to make it pretty clear that this is what he just thinks is probable.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Well done, folks.

I think most of the posters get scared of a thought that Holland will sign Cleary and knowing Holland it is a very good chance he will. This is regardless of the article.
Holland's signings of Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and now possibly Cleary are bad/very bad.

CloneHakanPlease*

I think most of the posters get scared of a thought that Holland will sign Cleary and knowing Holland it is a very good chance he will. This is regardless of the article.
Holland's signings of Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and now possibly Cleary are bad/very bad.

Call me crazy but I honestly think Abdelkader's is up there for worst just because unlike Bert and Sammy, he isn't better than the GR guys he is keeping a roster spot from.

IDK though, I think this whole second line fiasco is starting to make me turn on him unfairly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Let Cleary walk. He was a great story with us, so I'd prefer no tryout that has all the writing on the wall nonsense.

Re-up with Fil. 4.5 is worth it for him.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I don't want Flip back at $4.5M, as he's a replaceable guy in the lineup. Let some other team fixate on his career year last year and overpay for him, but again, outside of the "breakout" season he's a 35-45 point guy. And he's back to being passive Flip again, not shooting and not driving the net while circling back on most rushes and looking to dump the puck back to the D instead of making a play.

Flip is decent defensively, but it's not like he's taking the burden off of D and Z in being a main PK guy. Basically, I think letting him walk and replacing him with a guy with more grit would be the way to go (especially if the Wings are moving to the EC), but I can see KH giving him a longer term at $4-4.25 and talking about what a great value the deal is.

Re-signing Cleary would only make sense if we didn't already have Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. Even then it's better to let him walk.

Of the many reasons to not bring back Cleary (and there's no lack of them), this is on the list.

Well done, folks.

It may be a rumor, but you know that bringing Cleary back is right in Kenny's wheelhouse. He has a track record of keeping vets around past their best-by date, and the last year and a half have shown that Cleary's days as an effective player are behind him.

I'm not saying that Holland is terrible just because there are rumors of a re-signing for Cleary, but if it happens (and I think it will :shakehead), it would be another bad move by him for the team.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Except Brunner wasn't signed to replace Hudler, Samuelsson was.

Nobody can coherently argue that the Wings would be worse this year with a $4m Hudler.

Brunner was absolutely signed to replace Hudler. He was put in Hudler's spot on a line with Zetterberg before he ever set foot in Detroit.

Sammy was signed to add depth. He wasn't even a top 6 forward until injuries came along.

Some of Hudler's salary was used to add Samuelsson but he was never meant to play in Hudler's spot.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Brunner was absolutely signed to replace Hudler. He was put in Hudler's spot on a line with Zetterberg before he ever set foot in Detroit.

Sammy was signed to add depth. He wasn't even a top 6 forward until injuries came along.

Some of Hudler's salary was used to add Samuelsson but he was never meant to play in Hudler's spot.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded portion, the original lineup was the DBZ line and then Mule-Filp-Sammy on the 2nd. So technically he was meant to be a top 6er, but still Brunner was Hudler's replacement and I for one couldn't be happier with him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Except Brunner wasn't signed to replace Hudler, Samuelsson was.

Nobody can coherently argue that the Wings would be worse this year with a $4m Hudler.

When they signed Brunner he was said to have a top six spot. One part of Hudler's game was for Sammy and that was point on the PP and Sammy is better at that. Sammy was going to be given time in the top 6, but it was thought he could slide around with Cleary and Bertuzzi. Sammy had the leg up because of a good history with Filppula and Franzen. They didn't seem as married to that in the press as the PP point.

Nobody can coherently argue they would be better either, that is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

This entire premise is hilarious, based as it is upon the ridiculous idea that Holland should have been able to predict two freak injuries to Samuelsson.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
If Hudler was one or two years, I'd be a lot more open to him. Four years doesn't interest me at all.

I thought I remembered reading that Hudler was only asking for like, $3.5m or something, and Holland wouldn't bite on that. Would you have done 3 years at $3.5m?

Some of Hudler's salary was used to add Samuelsson but he was
never meant to play in Hudler's spot.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded portion, the original lineup was the DBZ line and then Mule-Filp-Sammy on the 2nd. So technically he was meant to be a top 6er, but still Brunner was Hudler's replacement and I for one couldn't be happier with him.

This is a repost of a The Hockey Writers column, but here's what I'm talking about:

Samuelsson is a replacement for Jiri Hudler. He's an older but better skating option that can be just as effective as Hudler if given the right environment, and his $3 million a year price tag is likely at least $1 million cheaper than what Hudler will go for.

:dunno:

When they signed Brunner he was said to have a top six spot. One part of Hudler's game was for Sammy and that was point on the PP and Sammy is better at that. Sammy was going to be given time in the top 6, but it was thought he could slide around with Cleary and Bertuzzi. Sammy had the leg up because of a good history with Filppula and Franzen. They didn't seem as married to that in the press as the PP point.

Nobody can coherently argue they would be better either, that is impossible to prove one way or the other.

You're right, it's impossible to prove.

However, Hudler is sitting at 15 points in 17 games with Calgary; he's tied for 4th on the Flames (and 2 points behind the lead), and would be 5th in scoring with the Wings (1 behind Brunner).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought I remembered reading that Hudler was only asking for like, $3.5m or something, and Holland wouldn't bite on that. Would you have done 3 years at $3.5m

I thought we were supposed to have offered $3.3m? Anyway, I probably wouldn't have bit on that. I'd have been more okay with 2 years at $4m, or one year at $5m (or even more, really, for just a stop gap measure).

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I thought we were supposed to have offered $3.3m? Anyway, I probably wouldn't have bit on that. I'd have been more okay with 2 years at $4m, or one year at $5m (or even more, really, for just a stop gap measure).

Yeah, it seems to me the difference was REALLY tiny (.... lol?), but it is what it is.

Like I said before, in a season or so, Holland will trade for him. ;)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To get back on track about Flip a bit, I'm one the fence on bringing him back. If we're going to sign a guy like Flip, I'd be tempted just to wait for free agency to start and take whoever's cheapest among Flip, Weiss, and Derek Roy.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, it seems to me the difference was REALLY tiny (.... lol?), but it is what it is.

Like I said before, in a season or so, Holland will trade for him. ;)

Yeah, and everyone will hate him and wonder why we didn't spend our pick on player X instead. :p:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
To get back on track about Flip a bit, I'm one the fence on bringing him back. If we're going to sign a guy like Flip, I'd be tempted just to wait for free agency to start and take whoever's cheapest among Flip, Weiss, and Derek Roy.

I'm on the fence about bringing him back as well but if we wait until FA and then decide to sign Flip it will probably cost us a lot more than if we just did it now.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

With Weiss's injury he will probably be cheapest. I like that hes actually a center where as flip is limited to a wing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not overly attached to Filppula, but his value is being hurt by injuries this year. He's never been healthy since the start of the season.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Flip is a complementary (am i using the right version.:sarcasm:) player. He doesnt deserve 4.5 million just like Hudler didnt deserve four million.

3.5 is what he deserves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->