OT: Re-signing Wideman?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Has there been any news on this? He had a good start this season but injuries obviously killed it early. Where do people stand on this deal? I think he's a big upgrade on Harpur and nobody else is exactly kicking down the door. I'm hoping for another 2 year extension at low dollars. Anyone else think he might get a few other offers if he goes to open market?

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that they may be expecting Jaros to eventually take that 3rd pairing right D spot. They also have a couple of left shots who can play the right side in Boro & Harpur. There may not be a need for Wideman since I also think a prospect may be slightly cheaper than Wideman.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Has there been any news on this? He had a good start this season but injuries obviously killed it early. Where do people stand on this deal? I think he's a big upgrade on Harpur and nobody else is exactly kicking down the door. I'm hoping for another 2 year extension at low dollars. Anyone else think he might get a few other offers if he goes to open market?
No rush. See how more important matters play out and then decide.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The defence currently is as follows:

Chabot - Karlsson
??????? - Ceci
Borowiecki - Harpur
???????

The candidates for the open spots include:
Claesson, Wideman, Jaros, Englund, Wolanin

I liked the play of Wolanin last year when he was given a few games. I suspect Wolanin and Jaros will compete for the 7th spot and one of Claesson and Wideman, but not both, will be signed for the other spot. Harpur seems to be AHL level with some potential upside due to his size. He might get allocated to the 7th D role if Jaros or Wolanin show more.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The defence currently is as follows:

Chabot - Karlsson
??????? - Ceci
Borowiecki - Harpur
???????

The candidates for the open spots include:
Claesson, Wideman, Jaros, Englund, Wolanin

I liked the play of Wolanin last year when he was given a few games. I suspect Wolanin and Jaros will compete for the 7th spot and one of Claesson and Wideman, but not both, will be signed for the other spot. Harpur seems to be AHL level with some potential upside due to his size. He might get allocated to the 7th D role if Jaros or Wolanin show more.
Yeah. That Harpur deal still irks me. I hope we find a way to keep Freddie and Wideman. Both have the potential to be quite good players. I wonder about Englund and his breed of player these days. I hope I'm wrong but I see him as a long shot now.

Reactions: Cosmix

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Sign who? Wideman I guess (sheepishly).

I doubt that he could adapt but he does have some speed.

I thought he looked alright for the ~6-7 games he played on the wing last year. For a minimum contract I'd give him a shot since we Gaborik and/or Burrows could be gone on the RW.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Part of me feels like a wealthier team would have never signed these guys to roster spots. It sucks feeling like you're still evaluating prospects afteratheyve signed deals at the nhl level.

Reactions: NB613

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I thought he looked alright for the ~6-7 games he played on the wing last year. For a minimum contract I'd give him a shot since we Gaborik and/or Burrows could be gone on the RW.

4th Line winger. Might be a decent role player there and be available for spot D duties if a D gets injured or penalized. Might be OK.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I believe at one point since the end of the season, Dorion mentioned that the Senators would offer Wideman (and I believe he mentioned Paajarvi as well at the time) a contract to stay, but they wouldn't do anything crazy.

Wideman is a RHD who can be used on the powerplay. He probably lost significant marketability as a free agent due to the injury, but I still think he'll have enough options that playing in Ottawa won't make sense. I guess there's an argument that if Karlsson leaves, he could end up on the top PP unit, but at the same time Boucher was using him as a forward around when he got injured. I can't imagine a UFA with options who'll be auditioning for a bigger payday down the line would want to stay on a team with a coach who used him that way.

Reactions: NB613

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Someone will give him low-end 2nd pairing D money because he's a RD (the hardest position in hockey to fill), and probably regret it a bit. We obviously won't come close to matching it.

He won't be back.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Someone will give him low-end 2nd pairing D money because he's a RD (the hardest position in hockey to fill), and probably regret it a bit. We obviously won't come close to matching it.

He won't be back.

This is a really good point I forgot to consider. Can't discount the fact teams will overpay for RHD. The fancy stats love him too, could see Arizona taking a chance on him. Sucks cause I really like him.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Before Wideman got injured he was our best defenceman after Karlsson.
Although I doubt he returns, would love him to be back and run one of the PP units.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Karlsson is gone signing Wideman would be necessary. If Karlsson stays It still might be a good signing. I would take him over Harpur any day.

You're right that Wideman would be an asset to use if Karlsson leaves because of his ability to run a PP, but I still can't imagine he'd stay unless him and the team were on the same page about what his role would be under Boucher.

Because of the injury, whether he signs a 1 year deal somewhere, or a 2 year deal hoping to extend a year from now, his upcoming contract will be an audition for #4-5 RD money like this season should have been for him. So from his perspective, I think it makes the most sense to go somewhere that presents him with the best opportunity.

A positive for the Senators is that Chabot looked excellent running the PP when given the opportunity. If Karlsson and Wideman both leave, Chabot might be able to fill that role of PP QB.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I want Wideman back, but only if he's used to his full potential, meaning more time on the PP, and some time 3v3 in OT (instead of, say, Ceci). Boucher should have given him more ice time while Karlsson was playing very subpar hockey.

He's not great, but he's not expensive either for a 3rd RD.

Reactions: derriko

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
He has a great first pass when he uses it wisely but overall I am not much of a fan.

Given the disaster our defence has been I'd rather use the money/roster spot on someone different to try and shake things up. Folin (UFA) for example or someone internal like Jaros if he's ready for that role.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If Dorion can sign him for 1-2 years @ 1 - 1.3 that might just be the best signing he’s made as a GM. Wideman was one of our best defenders last year before the injury and is in the prime of his career.

Personal story, a bunch of the sens were playing shinny in stittsville with 11yr old kids, wideman was far and away the best with the kids and you could tell both the kids and the other players loved him, a guy with skills that is liked in the room we need badly right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad