OT: Re-signing Wideman?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If they dont sign him they are even more stupid than i thought.

He's a modern player that can actually retain the puck and get out of the zone controlled. The sens also have no right shot d men.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Wideman is a bit like campoli was. 2nd tier skill guy who won't break the bank. And wideman is better on defence. Brings more than Freddie right now at least.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Which is frustrating because he showed so much potential at the end of the 16-17 season + playoffs.
Yep. I think it would be a mistake to give up on claesson or Wideman at this point. I just wish we could put Freddy back in the a for a little while.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Where I come from most people just say "he's 25".

When talking about the future, you generally try to be consistent in both your tense, as well as the subject at hand.

When discussing Claesson's projected 2018/19 season, it makes sense to refer to him as a 26 year old, since that is the age he will be for the vast majority of that season.

For example: If we were talking about his projected 2022/23 season, we would be discussing Claesson within the context of him being a 30 year old.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'd give Claesson another year to figure it out, since he wouldn't really be blocking anyone else worthwhile from coming up.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
When talking about the future, you generally try to be consistent in both your tense, as well as the subject at hand.

When discussing Claesson's projected 2018/19 season, it makes sense to refer to him as a 26 year old, since that is the age he will be for the vast majority of that season.

For example: If we were talking about his projected 2022/23 season, we would be discussing Claesson within the context of him being a 30 year old.
Fair enough

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

A players contract year age is their age on June 30.
A rookies contract year age is their age on Sept 15 due to the ELC system.

This is Claesson's 25 y.o season. Next year is his 26 y.o season. The year after that is his 27 y.o season, and his first UFA year since players become UFA at their 27 y.o season unless they have accrued 7 seasons prior which is rare for non-star players.

I understand you're saying he is turning 26 this season so his development is probably near it's end. But it's really his 25 y.o season, if that makes any difference, probably not.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa has some very good defencemen coming in Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros, Harpur, Englund & Lajoie & could probably afford to give up both Claesson & Wideman. However, if EK leaves than it doesn't hurt to have an experienced right shot as a backup & Wideman being a RD was the AHL defenceman of the yr one yr which might not mean much, but it shows he has the experience to run a PP & put up some pts at the least. Of course, a Chabot/Wideman pairing might be terrible & a Chabot/Ceci pairing might not be much better, I would be tempted to go out & sign Mike Green RD.

They might also draft a right shot D this draft but I doubt he would be NHL ready right out of the gate next yr. If Ottawa's defensive prospects pan out they could have a very good defensive corps someday but they are inexperienced now & it could take a few yrs before they play as a good solid set of three pair units in the NHL.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Ottawa has some very good defencemen coming in Chabot, Wolanin, Jaros, Harpur, Englund & Lajoie & could probably afford to give up both Claesson & Wideman. However, if EK leaves than it doesn't hurt to have an experienced right shot as a backup & Wideman being a RD was the AHL defenceman of the yr one yr which might not mean much, but it shows he has the experience to run a PP & put up some pts at the least. Of course, a Chabot/Wideman pairing might be terrible & a Chabot/Ceci pairing might not be much better, I would be tempted to go out & sign Mike Green RD.

They might also draft a right shot D this draft but I doubt he would be NHL ready right out of the gate next yr. If Ottawa's defensive prospects pan out they could have a very good defensive corps someday but they are inexperienced now & it could take a few yrs before they play as a good solid set of three pair units in the NHL.

Can't wait for Jaros! I have him ahead of White as a prospect.

Englund and Harpur are nothing to me.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
A players contract year age is their age on June 30.
A rookies contract year age is their age on Sept 15 due to the ELC system.

This is Claesson's 25 y.o season. Next year is his 26 y.o season. The year after that is his 27 y.o season, and his first UFA year since players become UFA at their 27 y.o season unless they have accrued 7 seasons prior which is rare for non-star players.

I understand you're saying he is turning 26 this season so his development is probably near it's end. But it's really his 25 y.o season, if that makes any difference, probably not.

He'll be 26 years old for like 75% of the 2018/19 season.

This isn't even an important debate. I don't understand why arguing about the minutae on this is worth the effort.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lost in this is the fact that a player, and an American at that, clearly wants to stay in Ottawa even when approaching UFA status. So much for the whole, "Everyone wants out of Ottawa" narrative...

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
He'll be 26 years old for like 75% of the 2018/19 season.

This isn't even an important debate. I don't understand why arguing about the minutae on this is worth the effort.
I agree there is no debate in that I agreed with your general argument at the end of my post.

And can I not just have a discussion without it being called a debate? I was simply explaining why he is constantly referred to as a 25 year old. It’s because this is his 25 year old season. That is how the NHL defines a players age on that year. It’s not even up for debate. Why explain your argument for how you’re defining a players age if it’s not worth discussion anyway. You went into such depth for your definition you even made a 2022-23 example. Jesus.

...I think it’s time I take a rest from HF, this place is toxic.

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Good news. Can we stop with the "nobody would ever sign here" stuff now?

Lost in this is the fact that a player, and an American at that, clearly wants to stay in Ottawa even when approaching UFA status. So much for the whole, "Everyone wants out of Ottawa" narrative...

I don't necessarily agree with that narrative, but how does one depth player wanting to stay (who's been in our organization his entire career) disprove it? Seems a bit goofy, almost grasping at straws, to bring that up when discussing Chris freakin Wideman.

Reactions: Bean Drown

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree there is no debate in that I agreed with your general argument at the end of my post.

And can I not just have a discussion without it being called a debate? I was simply explaining why he is constantly referred to as a 25 year old. It’s because this is his 25 year old season. That is how the NHL defines a players age on that year. It’s not even up for debate. Why explain your argument for how you’re defining a players age if it’s not worth discussion anyway. You went into such depth for your definition you even made a 2022-23 example. Jesus.

...I think it’s time I take a rest from HF, this place is toxic.

A "debate" isn't a pejorative term. In fact, it's usually the opposite - debates are formal and encouraged in promoting healthy discourse.

Chill out man, jeez.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I would imagine getting rid of Claesson would just piss off Karlsson even more.

I'd re-sign wideman to a 1 or 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->