Re-sign Gonchar?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Gonchar's margin is bigger because he's a better player and his hockey sense is a huge asset.

Gonchar is a solid #4 right now. If he declines and you have to use him as a #5-6, you still haven't lost your cap space for nothing. Weaver at 1.75 is a bit expensive as #7, but he makes about half the NHL average so it's still peanuts.

What would you call cheap? 2.5-3 mil for 1 year?

Boyle has TWO even strength points in 24 games...Gonchar has 9 in 29 games.

Stalman is a good puck mover but that's it, he is overpaid in my opinion.

Boyle has battled injuries and is a much better skater and puck mover right now compared to Gonchar. I'd call them a wash at best. Stralman's a shutdown and possession beast and might be TBay's best all-around D-man this year. That includes Hedman. He also has 20 points. If he's overpaid, I'd be curious as to who you think is underpaid.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
The way he's playing, it wouldn't hurt to give him 1 year at 2m. I'd wait to see how he handles the full 82 game sched and the playoffs.

That's also what I think... I really, really like his plays on the o-zone, especially on the PP. He knows what he's doing in there, he quickly passes the puck to an open guy, often using the boards (did it at least 3-4 times yesterday on the PP) and when he's out there, I personnally feel quite confident.

But most people are right IMO: considering his age, I wonder if his speed and his skating will cause him to become more of a liability on the ice than anything else. So it's a difficult question to answer...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't get why people assume he'll drop off the cliff in one year. He won't be awful next year if he's good this year.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't get why people assume he'll drop off the cliff in one year. He won't be awful next year if he's good this year.

Remember Mathieu Schneider? He spent his last drop of gaz with us in 2009. The very next season, he went from Vancouver to Phoenix and ended up being scratched more often than not.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I wouldn't assume that he *WILL* drop off a cliff. But you do have to allow for the possibility. Dallas fans (and management too) thought he already had dropped off a cliff. That's a team that needed help on D and were still eager to ditch him. So anyway, you have to at least acknowledge the potential... and if you can land a free agent signing who slots into the top-4 for 4-5 years, say, that's gotta be a higher priority than re-signing Gonchar and just crossing your fingers he can hang in there for another year. You can (probably) come back to Gonchar with fingers crossed if the higher priority options don't pan out.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

It can drop off real quick at his age.

I'm not even looking at next year, I just hope he will still be effective down the stretch, and into the playoffs if the habs make it.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Bring in Jarred Tinordi...

So, Gonchar can mentor him!!

P.S.: it's funny...we finally have a healthy Markov, but it's Gonchar who is doing the mentoring for our young ones!! I thought Markov can do some mentoring for some of our young Ds? If Beaulieu hsa looked very confident recently and it's due to Gonchar's help/advice...let Gonchar mentor Tinordi, as well... while Gonchar is still here (and healthy!). Next season...Tinordi is a #5-6, no doubt (at worst...a #6-7).
I don't want any veterans taking his spot next season. Tinordi is very important to our Habs' future. He needs the green light. That written...I'd take Gonchar for one more season at 3mil.

P.S. II: maybe...Gonchar>>>>>>>>>> Lefebvre
(when it comes to mentoring!).

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Its funny though. A decade ago, gonchar seemed risky and mostly one dimensional as a player. He has really evolved since then. The first time I saw him and thought he has become more well rounded was during his Pittsburgh tenure.

In the end, it turns out that he's a really smart player, otherwise there would have been no way that he could still e playing today, given that some of his main physical attributes, such as speed and mobility are diminished. He doesn't shoot nearly as often either, but that could be for other reasons.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Let the young guys play...

Nobody is suggesting young players shouldn't play. BUT the NHL is not a developmental league, those not ready should be in the AHL, and in the NHL they should be brought along slowly., turning a young player into the next Brisebois(being hung out to dry unfairly by fans) is pure stupidity.

Plus, forcing young players to earn their spot/minutes will make them better in the long term than just having it given to them.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I wouldn't assume that he *WILL* drop off a cliff. But you do have to allow for the possibility. Dallas fans (and management too) thought he already had dropped off a cliff. That's a team that needed help on D and were still eager to ditch him. So anyway, you have to at least acknowledge the potential... and if you can land a free agent signing who slots into the top-4 for 4-5 years, say, that's gotta be a higher priority than re-signing Gonchar and just crossing your fingers he can hang in there for another year. You can (probably) come back to Gonchar with fingers crossed if the higher priority options don't pan out.

Dallas needs a couple of stud d-men that can play big minutes. Daley and Goligoski are their only two top 4 guys and neither is a #1. Gonchar would have been fine as a #4, maybe they had higher expectations due to his cap hit...

Usually UFA's cost an arm and a leg and they want term(5-6 year deals) which can be an issue long term. With a Gonchar, in a your you let him walk once Beaulieu and Tinordi can play bigger minutes.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Bring in Jarred Tinordi...

So, Gonchar can mentor him!!

P.S.: it's funny...we finally have a healthy Markov, but it's Gonchar who is doing the mentoring for our young ones!! I thought Markov can do some mentoring for some of our young Ds? If Beaulieu hsa looked very confident recently and it's due to Gonchar's help/advice...let Gonchar mentor Tinordi, as well... while Gonchar is still here (and healthy!). Next season...Tinordi is a #5-6, no doubt (at worst...a #6-7).
I don't want any veterans taking his spot next season. Tinordi is very important to our Habs' future. He needs the green light. That written...I'd take Gonchar for one more season at 3mil.

P.S. II: maybe...Gonchar>>>>>>>>>> Lefebvre
(when it comes to mentoring!).

All of this talk between signing or not signing Gonchar, comparing him to Markov etc.

Look, we Habs fans have been worshipping Markov for years as our no.1 D, however Gonchar always been the better D out of the two, in their prime and right about now, arguably.

Gonchar has had 808 points in 1282 games, as a D in the clutch and grab era, those are PHENOMENAL numbers. Yes, he played for powerful offensive teams, but nonetheless, he's truly one of those elite, generationnal offensive Dman this league has had in it's history.

On the other hand we have Markov, who's still able to contribute meaningfully, who's had a respectful 464 points in 807 games, and lived through all those years of darkness and injuries on our roster, and I respect him, but he never has been on Gonchar's elite level.

That said, I'd consider keeping him at the right price as experience is grossly underrated around here. Gonchar and Markov are so confident with the puck it makes watching Weaver, Tinordi, Gilbert and Emelin look like they're handling grenades. If the goal is to win NOW, I pick another year of Gonchar over bringing in Tinordi AND another rookie next year (don't get me wrong I like Tinordi, but the rest of our D prospects are pretty raw, including canon Nygren and career AHLer Pateryn, the only other D prospect I'm high on is Dietz but he has some glarious weaknesses, his game is a rollercoaster, and I question his defensive IQ). I don't resign Weaver so our D should look like :

Subban - Markov
Gonchar - Beaulieu
Gilbert - Emelin
ext : Tinordi

You rotate the last pairing on the pressbox and hope Tinordi forces himself up in the lineup with steady and safe play, like Beaulieu is actually doing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The whole point was to bring in an expiring contract to alleviate cap for next season. Obviously his play has been a nice surprise, but come on he's 113 years old and he was atrocious in his last bit in Ottawa and Dallas.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
All of this talk between signing or not signing Gonchar, comparing him to Markov etc.

Look, we Habs fans have been worshipping Markov for years as our no.1 D, however Gonchar always been the better D out of the two, in their prime and right about now, arguably.

Gonchar has had 808 points in 1282 games, as a D in the clutch and grab era, those are PHENOMENAL numbers. Yes, he played for powerful offensive teams, but nonetheless, he's truly one of those elite, generationnal offensive Dman this league has had in it's history.

On the other hand we have Markov, who's still able to contribute meaningfully, who's had a respectful 464 points in 807 games, and lived through all those years of darkness and injuries on our roster, and I respect him, but he never has been on Gonchar's elite level.

That said, I'd consider keeping him at the right price as experience is grossly underrated around here. Gonchar and Markov are so confident with the puck it makes watching Weaver, Tinordi, Gilbert look like they're handling grenades. If the goal is to win NOW, I pick another year of Gonchar over bringing in Tinordi AND another rookie next year (don't get me wrong I like Tinordi, but the rest of our D prospects are pretty raw, including canon Nygren and career AHLer Pateryn, the only other D prospect I'm high on is Dietz but he has some glarious weaknesses, his game is a rollercoaster, and I question his IQ). I don't resign Weaver so our D should look like :

Subban - Markov
Gonchar - Beaulieu
Gilbert - Emelin
ext : Tinordi

You rotate the last pairing on the pressbox and hope Tinordi forces himself up in the lineup with steady and safe play, like Beaulieu is actually doing.

I don't see the point of bringing in Tinordi if he isn't playing evey night.

Markov is a better d-man than Gonchar right now, not even close.

Career wise Gonchar probably had a better career but Markov is closer to his prime. Markov has played a role in PK maturing, suggesting that Markov isn't "mentoring" anybody and Gonchar had to be brought in is BS. MB had a chance to bring in a guy for depth and dump Moen's salary, I'd say Gonchar has worked out as best case scenario so far for MB.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
The whole point was to bring in an expiring contract to alleviate cap for next season. Obviously his play has been a nice surprise, but come on he's 113 years old and he was atrocious in his last bit in Ottawa and Dallas.

Kovalev was atrocious before he came to Montreal.

Gonchar is doing a perfect job right now and if he is better NOW than our prospects, I want him in our upcoming cup(s) run(s), this year and next year.

I too thought Gonchar was done but he was given an oportunity with the Habs, is in a favorable environment (lots of quality Russians (yeah I know Gally is American, but you got my point) on our roster), is put in an important position, anchoring the 2nd pairing and the PP, on a winning team. This guy is thriving right now and feels no pressure, he looks comfortable. None of our rookies would be giving us that type of quality play from the backend. Stop overrating our prospects like they're all going to turn into Subbans / Beaulieus. None of them are dominating the AHL right now.

EDIT : I just checked Hamilton's stats and it seems Nygren is impressing. Hopefully his game can grow to NHL level I hadn't seen him coming.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I don't see the point of bringing in Tinordi if he isn't playing evey night.

Markov is a better d-man than Gonchar right now, not even close.

Career wise Gonchar probably had a better career but Markov is closer to his prime. Markov has played a role in PK maturing, suggesting that Markov isn't "mentoring" anybody and Gonchar had to be brought in is BS. MB had a chance to bring in a guy for depth and dump Moen's salary, I'd say Gonchar has worked out as best case scenario so far for MB.

I'm not the one saying Markov isn't mentoring young players. I think Markov is doing an excellent job so far this season, but I'm just saying I really like what we get from Gonchar. Especially at the price we payed for his services.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If Gonchar is willing to sign for <2M, I'd happily take him on for another season as the 6-7th defenseman. Frankly, it's Gilbert and Emelin I want gone. Not so Gonchar can replace them, but in general.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If Gonchar is willing to sign for <2M, I'd happily take him on for another season as the 6-7th defenseman. Frankly, it's Gilbert and Emelin I want gone. Not so Gonchar can replace them, but in general.

Gilbert I have no issue moving, he's not a great fit. Emelin brings a nastiness and physical element that is needed. Maybe if Tinordi was 2 years further along and could play 18-20 minutes, THEN you move Emelin.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I freaking love Sergei! I knew he could still give us some decent hockey when he came here even after his bad play in Dallas but never expected him to be this good. I'm blown away by his play and really wish that we can keep him. I'm quite surprised that Therrien didn't put him in the press box to rest him yet but it's hard to justify that move the way he's playing.

Obviously we will have to see how he plays during the playoffs but it's certainly one of Bergevins good move.

If he can trade Gilbert, I'm all over this...

YYZviaYUL

Aug 9, 2014
I've been impressed by Gonchar's play.

As long as they don't expect him to a Norris candidate and play him a non-top 6 pairing, he's been great. Pay him 2 million and you have a solid 4-6 d-man who can help out on the PP.

They need to start grooming some of the d-men in Hamilton to fill in and Beaulieu to be the #2 guy as soon as Markov retires in a year or two.

Weaver is probably gone.

Gilbert - Not great, but not as bad as the hate he gets on HF either. I think someone from Hamilton can do what he's doing though.

Emelin - If he doesn't bring a physical presence, what doe he bring? Someone with a smaller price tag can do what he's doing.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013

Gilbert I have no issue moving, he's not a great fit. Emelin brings a nastiness and physical element that is needed. Maybe if Tinordi was 2 years further along and could play 18-20 minutes, THEN you move Emelin.

One year contract.

Sign Gonchar. :handclap:

Play Allen 25+ minutes per game. :sarcasm:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Next season (my prediction):

Markov- PK Subban
Beaulieu - Gonchar??/other dman via trade
Emelin - Gilbert?
Tinordi - Nygren

Emelin (NTC 2016? 2017?):
he has a NO TRADE CLAUSE until 2016? (or 2017?).
$4.1mil/year and a NTC...&*@#$%#$*&*@#$...?!
(he better pick up his game soon, or else...).

Anybody know anything about his NTC?
(which teams can he be traded to?!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad