Re-sign Gonchar?

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
What do you guys think? Sould we re-up Sergei for another year? I mean he's done wonders for Beaulieu and I'd like to see what he could do with Tinordi. He also appears to be a good mother-type figure for our young players(esp. Russian-kids). Whereas Markov is the stern silent dad. I even think remembering that Scherbak said he was a bit scared of him.

Wouldn't mind having him around next year if Scherbak makes it.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Nah.

I like him but there are other priorities like signing Galchenyuk.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This is the type of discussion you have in the offseason, not in January. Lots of hockey left to be played.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
My instinct says "No," but I'd be willing to reevaluate after the season. I suspect his gas tank is going to run out before the playoffs are over, and we can't afford to have players like that on the roster next season.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
What do you guys think? Sould we re-up Sergei for another year? I mean he's done wonders for Beaulieu and I'd like to see what he could do with Tinordi. He also appears to be a good mother-type figure for our young players(esp. Russian-kids). Whereas Markov is the stern silent dad. I even think remembering that Scherbak said he was a bit scared of him.

Wouldn't mind having him around next year if Scherbak makes it.

Markov doesn't seem o be very silent around teammates, just doesn't like talking to the media.

For Gonchar, at this point I'd lean towards yes as long as the price is reasonable(2-3 mil) and the pan is for him to be #5 at 18-19 minutes/game.

Scherbak will be 19 when he turns pro next year, I would be very hesitant to keep him in the NHL unless he is downright a force in camp. AHL for a year makes for a better progression.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't understand the hate for Gonchar. He's played very well.

If he can play at this level next year he should be re-signed. It's worth the risk. At worst, if father time finishes him, he can take on the role Weaver has this year. We've been lucky to avoid injuries but that can't last forever.

Ultimately it depends on how much he wants. I think 3.5 is fair for what he's brought.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't have a problem at all giving him around $2.5-3 million for another year, has been very solid and Beaulieu has been excellent since being paired with him.

Bergevin loves veteran depth on D so wouldn't be surprised to see him back if he keeps up his play.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Too old. He has come in and served more than his purpose and I'm grateful for it. However, after this season his cap comes off the books and the team can transition to the players on the outside looking in. (Yeah yeah yeah, I know same story every year)

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Wait and see how he's holding up at the end of the season.

As of right now, I'd take him back as a #7 next year that comes in when we have injuries.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
He's definitely better than I expected. We win this trade.
I'll sign him again only if we have no better alternative. I doubt that Weaver and Gilbert are better than him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe. There are a lot of better or comparable defencemen currently UFA next season. Beauchemin, Oduya, Methot, Ehrhoff, Martin, Boychuk, Green, Michalek, Franson, Petry, Sekera, Visnovsky, Zidlicky. I don't even think that's all of them.

There is no reason to commit to an over 40 player that has played for less than a season for Montreal. I'd wager that more than half of those guys resign with their current teams, but that would still leave a very solid free agent pool. Wait until you get a better idea what's out there before tying yourself to Gonchar.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
no. He's been good but at 40 and with younger guys in the farm system, Gonchar will and should be a one and done with the Habs.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Maybe. There are a lot of better or comparable defencemen currently UFA next season. Beauchemin, Oduya, Methot, Ehrhoff, Martin, Boychuk, Green, Michalek, Franson, Petry, Sekera, Visnovsky, Zidlicky. I don't even think that's all of them.

There is no reason to commit to an over 40 player that has played for less than a season for Montreal. I'd wager that more than half of those guys resign with their current teams, but that would still leave a very solid free agent pool. Wait until you get a better idea what's out there before tying yourself to Gonchar.
This. He has indeed played very well. Shockingly well. But he still has to be considered a "Plan B", I think. Maybe you come back to him on a 1-year deal for about half his current salary if you utterly fail to land the longer term core guy on the UFA market. I can't imagine other teams will be lining up to sign him. But age is a real factor, and you have to just wait it out. July 10th is about the time I could possibly start to think seriously about re-signing him, not now.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It's amazing that he's basically been on a 30 points pace since joining the Habs. He's basically what I hoped I would have in Gilbert when we signed him. Too bad we couldn't put on hands on him this summer (Bergevin reportedly tried back then), and spent Gilbert's money somewhere else.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Too old. He has come in and served more than his purpose and I'm grateful for it. However, after this season his cap comes off the books and the team can transition to the players on the outside looking in. (Yeah yeah yeah, I know same story every year)

Who can step in and play those minutes and provide the leadership that he does?

You can replace Weaver with Pateryn and maybe Gilbert(trade) with Tinordi. We don't have somebody to replace Gonchar right now.

Why the hell does his age matter? He can obviously still play, he moves pretty well and his hockey sense is very good. I'm not saying he is as good as Lidstrom, but if Lidstrom was willing to sign here at 39 or 40 you would have said "too old" and walked away?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Once half those guys re-sign with current teams you end up overpaying for average players. Just look at what Orpik Niskanen and Stralman cost last summer.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Id keep Gonchar over Gilbert for next year, so if Bergy can move Gilbert in the off season, I'd be willing to sign Gonchar for 1 more season. But I wouldn't sign him until then, not now.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He sure looks good with the younger players like Beaulieu, you can see he actually talk to them and it rubs off. He looks very approachable even when he talks to media he seems very calm with a great personality. Markov is a great player and all but he's not made to teach or be anybody's mentor.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Who can step in and play those minutes and provide the leadership that he does?

You can replace Weaver with Pateryn and maybe Gilbert(trade) with Tinordi. We don't have somebody to replace Gonchar right now.

Why the hell does his age matter? He can obviously still play, he moves pretty well and his hockey sense is very good. I'm not saying he is as good as Lidstrom, but if Lidstrom was willing to sign here at 39 or 40 you would have said "too old" and walked away?

Things go down really fast at this age. He cans till play now but might not be able to pull it next year.

Maybe if he accept a really low 1 year contract. But if he wants 2 millions nah no way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad