Speculation: Re: Ripping 4th line players, etc. Was it worth it?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
All season long some fans on this board ripped 4th line players like Martin, Moore, and Komarov. As well as Polak as the number 6 D. Was it worth it? All three above 4th liners didn't even play in the playoffs. Polak played as well as expected in the playoffs

Why spend so much time focusing on depth / role players when it's our key players the have warts and fell flat?

I actually think some fans credit themselves for getting Komarov moved out of the top 6.

What gives?

Don't you think that hating depth players is futile? They generally don't matter in the end to most teams.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Being critical of a player’s performance isn’t hating them. Kapanen, Johnsson were both likely better than guys like Komarov all season long and should have been up sooner.

Yes a 4th liner isn’t as important as a core player, but they’re still on the ice for about 10 minutes a game - and a game can be won or lost during their icetime. I think we can pay attention to both core players and depth guys; it’s not a one or the other scenario.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes, it was worth it. The team became a lot better when we replaced Martin with Kapanen.

Komarov was a 2nd liner for the first half of the season and he dragged that line down big time. We improved greatly when Babcock finally moved Komarov down to the 4th line like most of here had wanted to do for many months. Johnsson was also a huge upgrade on Komarov.

Not really sure anyone had a huge problem with Moore considering we didn't have too many better options. I didn't have a big problem with him at least.

I wouldn't have minded a 4th line with Komarov and Martin on it in general... but I do mind when we have guys like Kapanen, Johnsson, and Leivo on the bench. Gotta put our best 12 forwards on the ice and Komarov and Martin are not in our top 12.

In terms of Polak... ya, he played alright. Our defense overall still wasn't good. Might have been better off using Borgman who I thought looked pretty good in the first half of the year (Rielly could have gone to the right). Holl didn't get a fair look either.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What's wrong with ripping you lesser skilled players for being lesser skilled players?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
All season long some fans on this board ripped 4th line players like Martin, Moore, and Komarov. As well as Polak as the number 6 D. Was it worth it? All three above 4th liners didn't even play in the playoffs. Polak played as well as expected in the playoffs

Why spend so much time focusing on depth / role players when it's our key players the have warts and fell flat?

I actually think some fans credit themselves for getting Komarov moved out of the top 6.

What gives?

Don't you think that hating depth players is futile? They generally don't matter in the end to most teams.

Martin moore and komarov barely even played at a 4th line level this season, so ripping them for being employed as 4th liners when they weren't good enough. Why do they escape cristisim because they are only 4th liners? we were a far better team without Moore and Martin, even komarov to a lesser extent. If you can rip on Matthews for not scoring, why cant you rip on martin for not being NHL calibre?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

What gives?

Well, what fans think on these boards has no effect on what the team does, so our bellyaching is just for shits and giggles.

That being said, Komarov, Martin, and Moore didn’t play in the playoffs for the same reason most fans didn’t want them playing throughout the year- we had better players we could have been using.

If Kapanen and Johnsson are in the line up from game one, maybe they have more of a chance to develop chemistry with other players on the team, and are more effective come playoff time. Hell, maybe we win more games because of them in the regular season, and wind up with home ice advantage.

Whining here about lineups doesn’t have any point, other than to kill boredom, but at the end of the day, it looks like the people who wanted more skill in the lineup had it right.

Not that I blame Babcock. It’s easy to pencil in line changes when you have no real responsibility for how the team plays. You don’t just scratch veterans to test out kids, right off the bat. Those guys had to earn their way up, and Komarov and Moore had to be given their chances as well.

I will blame Babcock if those two are left off the starting roster in favour of a knuckle dragged next season, though.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Our fans act like spoiled babies. Cry and whine, flood threads with pure garbage, acting like these players plugged their moms and sisters.

I'll never really get it. If you want to say that they aren't up to par, that's fine, but the personal hatred for people on your own team is busch league and childish. They're Maple Leafs, and while we may think that there are better options, get behind your ****ing team, and the players on it. This is the team. YOU have no control, so support the guys. And when a guy's time is done with your club, you thank them for their service to the logo and its fans, and move on.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A lot of fans feel it is their duty to complain about everything they see as wrong with the team, as though looking for consensus, or perhaps even searching for knowledge that the issue isn't really that bad. Or because they genuinely are getting irritated every time they see a player they don't like playing too high up the lineup so they slag they player and the coach as well. Some people just like to complain, and that's probably how they are away from the board as well. When the whining gets too much I just tune them out and avoid reading those posts. I haven't found a complainer so bad that I had to put them on ignore though, because not every post is negative, usually just about one or two things.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

What gives?

playing komarov may have cost us the series, tbh.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

What gives?

Why discuss the Leafs on a Leafs board? Is this a serious thread?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Johnson would have scored 4 goals in each of those first two games? or was it komarov who allowed 7 goals. wtf
Well Komarov was a big part of our PK which crapped the bed in the first 2 games and a goal in the second period of Game 1 makes that a much different game. Not sure if/how many goals he was on for though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Our fans act like spoiled babies. Cry and whine, flood threads with pure garbage, acting like these players plugged their moms and sisters.

I'll never really get it. If you want to say that they aren't up to par, that's fine, but the personal hatred for people on your own team is busch league and childish. They're Maple Leafs, and while we may think that there are better options, get behind your ****ing team, and the players on it. This is the team. YOU have no control, so support the guys. And when a guy's time is done with your club, you thank them for their service to the logo and its fans, and move on.
we're fans, not cheerleaders. blind support isn't a requirement

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Yes it wasn't worth trading for them.

It was totally worth it because Babcock wouldn't have made the changes if we didn't complain enough.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Interesting to see this post while the Lightning's top line has been doing nothing (finally showed up yesterday) and they have been winning with their role players.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No, thank god there's other people around here who don't blindly accept incredibly stupid lineup decisions. The fact that it took our coach as long as he did to figure out Komarov is useless and done as a player (let alone play him on the f***ing PP?) should be pretty alarming. The Martin choice is pretty meh - but the overall picture still stands. You even saw Pittsburgh give Ryan Reeves a chance but they eventually gave up on that idea because they realized he just doesn't fit the identity of their team. Was just as obvious that Martin doesn't fit our team identity.

We could have spent all year developing Kapanen and Johnsson, but instead our coach was obsessed with working in useless plugs.

And depth players don't mattter?! What planet are you living on buddy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad