Re-do the 2009 Draft

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Quite and impressive top 10 in this draft, all except for Glennie have played in the NHL already.

Also, it's insane how similar Tavares and Duchene's are:

Tavares GP159 52G 66A 118PTS
Duchene GP158 51G 67A 118PTS

Duchene added a couple of assists against Dallas last night, so he has moved ahead of Tavares by a couple of points.

Although, really Duchene's assists were the byproduct of all-star talents like Brandon Yip and Mark Olver converting on Duchene's playmaking. If Tavares had that kind of talent around him, who knows how many points he could produce.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because he was not considered a top 25 prospect in his draft year

He had troubles in the playoffs and U-18s in his draft year because he was injured. That's why he dropped.

, has done nothing to suggest he was materially under-rated,

He would've made the Pens this year if not for a logjam on the blueline, improved his production every year in the Q, made Team Canada for the WJCs, and just won the Emile Bouchard Trophy for best Q defenseman.

I'd say that suggests several things he's done to improve his stock.

and has been passed by a couple guys who have?

Not several guys on the lists given.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
People say Toronto and Montreal fans overhype their prospects but Edmonton fans seem to be there aswell. MPS in this thread and Eberle in the other above Schenn, Bogosian and Carlson. :facepalm:

I'm sorry but WOW...
Says the guy that ranked his prospect ahead of MPS. What has Kadri done to be ranked ahead of Paajarvi?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Because he was not considered a top 25 prospect in his draft year, has done nothing to suggest he was materially under-rated, and has been passed by a couple guys who have?

Yep he did nothing special this year. Its not like he won any awards for being the best defenseman in his league. :shakehead

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Says the guy that ranked his prospect ahead of MPS. What has Kadri done to be ranked ahead of Paajarvi?

Has the higher ceiling, has good vision, amazing hands, decent shot, great passing ability, and the only knock on him is his lack of strength which will improve a lot in the off-season.

Since being called up the second time he has 3 goals and 3 assists in a short time playing with AHLers Boyce and Crabb rofl. He has also worked on his defensive game.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
1) Tavares
2[3]) Duchene
3[2]) Hedman
4) Kane
5) OEL
6[7]) Kulikov
7[6]) Schenn
8[9]) Paajarvi-Svensson
9[8]) Kadri
10) Rundblad
11) O'Reilly
12) Cowen
13) De Haan
14) Kreider
15) Johansson

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Has the higher ceiling, has good vision, amazing hands, decent shot, great passing ability, and the only knock on him is his lack of strength which will improve a lot in the off-season.

Since being called up the second time he has 3 goals and 3 assists in a short time playing with AHLers Boyce and Crabb rofl. He has also worked on his defensive game.

Okay, so what do you know about MPS? Because you kind of described him there. Except he's bigger and stronger than Kadri, faster than Kadri and much better defensively than Kadri.

parineum

Jun 5, 2009
Clifford is a 4th liner and don't see him becoming more than a serviceable third with good fighting skills. Seems to be quite high on some people's lists. He just seems like a case of reaching his potential earlier than expected. Doesn't make him top-end.

Fact is Clifford is an NHLer right now.

His rookie campaign has been startlingly similar to Wayne Simmonds, whom seems to be working out to be a 15/25, 20/20 40pt player. That's a third line player who can be moved up to the second in case of injury. He's been decent defensively and it's not like the sky's the limit but he is not quite to his potential just yet.

Many of those first rounders will not make the NHL.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
People say Toronto and Montreal fans overhype their prospects but Edmonton fans seem to be there as well. MPS in this thread and Eberle in the other above Schenn, Bogosian and Carlson. :facepalm:

I'm sorry but WOW...

How many Oilers games have you watched this year? I have a feeling that the average non-Oiler fan would not watch any Oilers game unless it was against their team (why would you?). Based on your opinions in this and the 2008 thread I would estimate you've seem MPS and Eberle play in maybe 1 or 2 games.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Okay, so what do you know about MPS? Because you kind of described him there. Except he's bigger and stronger than Kadri, faster than Kadri and much better defensively than Kadri.

MPS is a pretty smart player, uses his body well, also reads the play well. I just think Kadri has more offensive ability and has more offensive potential. If his game comes together he can be a PPG winger or centre. MPS has done more in the NHL though.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I think this play from a couple nights ago sums up every Paajarvi scouting report.

- Good defensive play when he intercepts a pass.
- Out skates JayBo(one of the best skaters in the league).
- Shows his strength and makes driving the net look easy.
- Crashes the net and gets a good scoring chance
- Smart enough to not abandon the play and scores a goal

Here's another one(also against the Flames)

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006

I'm just going to say 1 thing about that video: the announcers can't pronounce "Pääjärvi" at all. Peejavri?

And Tavares will win every poll between him and Duchene because he plays in the East.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tavares
Hedman
Duchene
Kane
Kulikov
Scheen
Oel
Msp
Cowen
Kadri
Runblad
Kassian
Leddy
Ellis
Johansson
Erixson
De hann

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
OEL

Schenn
MPS

I've got a small problem with this, I'd have Schenn/MPS higher. I like OEL, I got him on my keeper league last year but he does play for Phx. Dave Tippett chose Schlemko over OEL who was sent to the minors which says all that you need to know about Tippett. OEL did play better than Schlemko but his ice-time might be limited.

Brayden Schenn is considered the best prospect not in the NHL atm, he'd be higher than OEL and MPS would be too for short-term keeper league value. Might take a few more years for OEL to get to even a 40 point scoring level and play top 2 or 3 minutes.

I also think that some of the Swedish dmen are really overrated and they seem to struggle with the North American game. Maybe it's the aggressive forecheck and smaller ice. With that said, I'd still include Tim Erixon in the top 30 and I think these guys will make it, I'd just rather have MPS or Brayden Schenn and some of the other forwards though.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
Kulikov is top 5, him and Hedman are close. He plays 20 minutes a night and when I watched him this year he was always the best D man on Florida.

JimmyStart*

Good looking ten or so players huh? Few in the 5-10 I'd move back but some good players there. Think I still leave Tavares at the top but I can't argue much with Duchene there either.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Most of the list after 10 is incredibly close and my list could change big time in a short amount of time depending on how some prospects play. Honestly I don't see that much of a difference between Erixon at 14 and Ekholm at 30. That's how close it is.

1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Kane
4. Schenn
5. Hedman
6. Kadri
7. Kulikov
8. OEL
9. Johansson
10. Rundblad
11. Cowen
12. MSP
13. Ellis
14. Erixon
15. Leddy
16. Caron
17. Josefson
18. Kassian
19. Glennie
20. Palmieri
21. Schroeder
22. Shore
23. Barrie
24. DeHaan
25. Lehner
26. Depres
27. Chiasson
28. Elliott
29. Moore
30. Ekholm

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I wish there were more players to compare Paajarvi's rookie season with. Unfortunately, Mats Sundin is the only other Swedish forward in history to play a full season in the NHL at the age of 19. I guess one could argue that is an accomplishment in itself that Magnus has made the league at this age.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Most of the list after 10 is incredibly close and my list could change big time in a short amount of time depending on how some prospects play. Honestly I don't see that much of a difference between Erixon at 14 and Ekholm at 30. That's how close it is.

1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Kane
4. Schenn
5. Hedman
6. Kadri
7. Kulikov
8. OEL
9. Johansson
10. Rundblad
11. Cowen
12. MSP
13. Ellis
14. Erixon
15. Leddy
16. Caron
17. Josefson
18. Kassian
19. Glennie
20. Palmieri
21. Schroeder
22. Shore
23. Barrie
24. DeHaan
25. Lehner
26. Depres
27. Chiasson
28. Elliott
29. Moore
30. Ekholm

Wow. Ive never seen kadri so high.

Kulikov and OEL should both be higher than Kadri
Pajaarvi should be over Johansson and Cowen
Dont see what Leblanc has done to be out of the 1st round
Morin should be in the 1st round too

And I just realized you had Schenn and Kane above Hedman :help:

That being said you do have some things I like:
Barrie and Elliot in the 1st round
Kulikov above OEL

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
Duchene
Tavares
Hedman
Kane
Kulikov
Schenn
Kadri
Rundblad
Paajarvi
Cowen
OEL
Ellis
Leblanc
Caron
Kassian
Glennie
Schroeder

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1 - Tavares
2 - Duchene (TB still takes Hedman though)
3 - Hedman
4 - Kane
5 - Kulikov
6 - Schenn
7 - Ekman-Larsson
8 - Paajarvi-Svensson
9 - Kadri
10 - Cowen
11 - Ellis
12 - Johansson
13 - Josefson
14 - Caron
15 - Rundblad
16 - Erixon
17 - Leddy
18 - Kreider
19 - de Hann
20 - Kassian
21 - O'Reilly
22 - Holland
23 - Glennie
24 - Morin
25 - Tatar
26 - Despres
27 - Dumoulin
28 - Lehner
29 - Ashton
30 - Leblanc

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Hedman
4. Schenn
5. Kane
6. Kadri
7. Ekman-Larsson
8. Paajarvi-Svensson
9. Kulikov
10. O'Reilly
11. Ellis
12. Kassian
13. Johansson
14. De Haan
15. Kreider

Side note: I think when all these players are developed, this will be seen as truly one of the all time great draft years..

Also, what an incredible drafting job by the Avalanche. Duchene, O'Reilly, Elliot, and Barrie all this year. Talk about stocking your prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad