8. Paajarvi-Svensson
9. Kulikov
10. O'Reilly
11. Ellis
12. Kassian
13. Johansson
14. De Haan
15. Kreider

Side note: I think when all these players are developed, this will be seen as truly one of the all time great draft years..

Also, what an incredible drafting job by the Avalanche. Duchene, O'Reilly, Elliot, and Barrie all this year. Talk about stocking your prospect pool.

O'Reily is a little high dont ya think?

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
As of right this moment?

1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Kane
4. Schenn
5. Hedman
6. Rundblad
7. Kulikov
8. OEL
9. Johansson
10. Cowen

No Paajarvi? If it is a list for "right this moment" then wouldn't you have to include the player who is 14th in rookie scoring and the 3rd youngest after Skinner, Hall, and Fowler (in the top 15)?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Hedman
4. Schenn
5. Kane
6. Kadri
7. Ekman-Larsson
8. Paajarvi-Svensson
9. Kulikov
10. O'Reilly
11. Ellis
12. Kassian
13. Johansson
14. De Haan
15. Kreider

Side note: I think when all these players are developed, this will be seen as truly one of the all time great draft years..

Also, what an incredible drafting job by the Avalanche. Duchene, O'Reilly, Elliot, and Barrie all this year. Talk about stocking your prospect pool.

I don't see how Rundblad is not here. He won MVP in the SEL.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
I should've noted that I left Rundblad out of my list only because I've hardly seen him play at all. Don't know anything about him, and can't say anything good/bad about him.

I also haven't seen Cowen play in about a year. I've heard he's improved his skating a bunch, but just based on what I've seen from him the year after he was drafted, I can't put him in the top prospects here.

And I'll defend why I put O'Reilly at 10.. He's already an NHLer, the top shutdown forward on his team, and has not shown signs of peaking anytime soon. If he's already a good NHL player, and is still developing at a rate comparable to the rest of the guys in the draft, I think he's in the top 10.

Parise09*

1 - Tavares
2 - Duchene
3 - Hedman
4 - Kane
5 - Kulikov
6 - Paajarvi-Svensson
7 - Ekman-Larsson
8 - Schenn
9 - Johansson
10 - Rundblad

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Wow. Ive never seen kadri so high.

Kulikov and OEL should both be higher than Kadri
Pajaarvi should be over Johansson and Cowen
Dont see what Leblanc has done to be out of the 1st round
Morin should be in the 1st round too

And I just realized you had Schenn and Kane above Hedman :help:

A Sens fan defending Kadri while a Leafs fan puts him down :laugh:

After his draft year Kadri dominated the OHL, now this year he has close to a PPG in the AHL and solid stats in the NHL (12P in 28GP). He has scored at every level, no reason to think it wont continue at the NHL level. I see 70+ point potential, which would make him a 1st line center.

I am not in love with big speedy prospects like the rest of HF. IMO Paajarvi is a 50-60P two-way winger at best. Leblanc hasnt impressed me at any level, potential 3rd line winger. Morin would have been an honourable mention. Im not a fan of Hedman at all. I liken him to a bigger Jay Bouwmeester. It may look stupid down the road if Hedman suddenly starts producing offensively, but I just dont see it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
1. Tavares
2. Duchene
3. Hedman
4. Schenn
5. Kane
6. Kadri
7. Ekman-Larsson
8. Paajarvi-Svensson
9. Kulikov
10. O'Reilly
11. Ellis
12. Kassian
13. Johansson
14. De Haan
15. Kreider

So why'd you bump Schenn above Kane?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I should've noted that I left Rundblad out of my list only because I've hardly seen him play at all. Don't know anything about him, and can't say anything good/bad about him.

I also haven't seen Cowen play in about a year. I've heard he's improved his skating a bunch, but just based on what I've seen from him the year after he was drafted, I can't put him in the top prospects here.

And I'll defend why I put O'Reilly at 10.. He's already an NHLer, the top shutdown forward on his team, and has not shown signs of peaking anytime soon. If he's already a good NHL player, and is still developing at a rate comparable to the rest of the guys in the draft, I think he's in the top 10.

As valuable as they may be top shutdown forwards don't get drafted top 10. And can you explain the "shows no sign of peaking anytime soon". If he is already a top shutdown forward on his team he must be already fairly developed in that area and he hasn't progressed offensively (stat wise) and I don't really see him being that offensive type of player. I have no problem with the kid and in a re draft i agree he would be a first rounder just tenth seems a little high.

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
Schenn and Kane are pretty much equal in my opinion. Just put Schenn ahead because I think he has a slightly higher ceiling.

O'Reilly will be a great 2-way forward. I'm saying his defensive game is already excellent and still improving. His stats don't show it, but he's becoming more creative in the offensive end, has started to get faster while carrying the puck on the rush, and is getting more chances as the season has progressed. I could easily be wrong. There might be 10-15 players from this draft that will become better than O'Reilly, but right now, the kid's amazing.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Schenn and Kane are pretty much equal in my opinion. Just put Schenn ahead because I think he has a slightly higher ceiling.

O'Reilly will be a great 2-way forward. I'm saying his defensive game is already excellent and still improving. His stats don't show it, but he's becoming more creative in the offensive end, has started to get faster while carrying the puck on the rush, and is getting more chances as the season has progressed. I could easily be wrong. There might be 10-15 players from this draft that will become better than O'Reilly, but right now, the kid's amazing.

The fact that he is seriously being thrown around with other names for the Avs captaincy has to say a lot too.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
People say Toronto and Montreal fans overhype their prospects but Edmonton fans seem to be there aswell. MPS in this thread and Eberle in the other above Schenn, Bogosian and Carlson. :facepalm:

I'm sorry but WOW...

Wait, you don't think Eberle should be getting ranked ahead of Bogosian and Schenn?

..... :laugh:

As for MPS, not sure why you think he's being hyped up in this thread. Every Oilers' fan has ranked him where he should be.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Wait, you don't think Eberle should be getting ranked ahead of Bogosian and Schenn?

..... :laugh:

As for MPS, not sure why you think he's being hyped up in this thread. Every Oilers' fan has ranked him where he should be.

Better than Brayden Schenn?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

Oh the year he played in the WJC on one leg, I remember. Gotta respect ya coming back to explain though. I do think the valuations of Cowen at around 10-12 to be fair for sure though, I think he becomes a top match up guy, a big 6'5 250 guy that can skate alongside the best...but to be rated higher he needs offense. Those developments happen, but they aren't common, can't bank on every big Dman developing like Weber did.

Going to be hard for him to show offense with Karlsson and Rundblad taking the point. I don't know what to think of Rundblad though...I don't think many really do. I think his adjustment may be uglier than Karlsson's for the first little while.

The Perfect Human*

Wow.... omfg. Get your homer head checked.

How can you say anything about this when they've only been on the same stage once...the 2010 WJHC.

In that tournament, Paajarvi was near-dominant, especially for an 18-year old. He finished top-10 in scoring while Schenn was nowhere close.

I'm not going to use MPS actually playing in the NHL against Schenn in this argument because Schenn got cut from a far superior team, but his 0.25 p/g production was also lower than Paajarvi's 0.42 p/g.

A 19-year old dominating a tournament featuring the best 19-and-under players in the world can't be extrapolated into greatness. He did what most top-10 picks do in that tournament if they're still not in the NHL at that point...his WHL production is the same case - and that's totally tailed off (relative to his season production) in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->