Re-do the 2009 Draft

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Tavares has 2 more points and duchenes linemate have changed a million times this season

I don't think Duchene could ever turn Parentau into a 50+ point player. That is not a knock on Duchene, I feel Duchene will be a better 2 way player, and PPG type of player, but I see Tavares having a decent 2 way game, while contributing 90+ points a year for a long time.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Tavares doesn't go first just because he makes due with a questionable supporting cast. He goes first because he's simply the best hockey player in this draft. Not to knock Duchene in any way shape or form, but Tavares was blessed with a brilliant, brilliant hockey mind.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Tavares doesn't go first just because he makes due with a questionable supporting cast. He goes first because he's simply the best hockey player in this draft. Not to knock Duchene in any way shape or form, but Tavares was blessed with a brilliant, brilliant hockey mind.

I do agree, Tavares might be the smartest player in the entire league. He knows where the puck is going to be a few seconds before it actually gets there, he just has "IT".

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Ellis, Johanssen, Cowen, Rudbland and OEL all above Kadri? :facepalm:

Clifford above Leblanc, Kassian, Glennie :facepalm:

OEL above Kulikov and MPS? :facepalm:

I can understand Johanssen as he's looked outstanding, and Rundblad depending on what you're looking for in a prospect.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
kadris knock is his hockey sense, kid is lacking a lot of it but his skill makes up for it.

The kid has amazing offensive hockey sense. Excellent vision with great creativity. Kadri's knock is his strength/size and defensive game. In his second stint here, anyone that watches Kadri regularly would notice his defensive game has improved a lot, obviously it still needs improvement but its coming along nicely (I'd like to see him back-check more often). He's not getting knocked around as much in his second stint but yeah he still needs to put on some muscle but I don't consider that a big deal. He is 6-6'1 at 185lbs and will fill out his frame soon enough.

Still a top 10 pick in the draft but right now, I'd say its a little too soon to do a re-do.

I'll do a top 10 for fun:
Tavares
Duchene
Hedman
Kane
Schenn
OEL (top 6 is same order is just a coincidence! EDIT: almost)
Kulikov
Kadri
MPS
Cowen (I like Cowen's game more than Rundblad and I think he'll be more valuable than Rundblad unless his defensive game sees a major improvement)

Last edited:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Tavares and Duchene should be consensus 1a and 1b guys... Both are interchangeable at this point.

I'm a Colorado fan, and Duchene is probably my favorite player, but I'd still take Tavares over him if I'm an NHL GM. Duchene is a more well-rounded player and probably a little bit better overall right now, but Tavares' offensive instincts and skills are out of this world. I think that over the courses of their careers, Tavares will emerge as the greater offensive threat and game breaker.

Johansson has thus far been better than Kadri in the NHL, so that ranking is understandable to me. Though I do agree that Kadri has the higher ceiling.

Did you see Rundblad's monster season in the SEL this year? I'm not sure that I would rank him ahead of Kadri, but I can understand someone doing so if they think his success will translate to the NHL.

OEL still looks likely to be the best defenseman from this draft, so I can understand him being ranked above everyone that he was drafted ahead of.

I'll do a top 10 for fun:
Tavares
Duchene
Hedman
Kane
Schenn
OEL (top 6 is same order is just a coincidence!)
Kulikov
Kadri
MPS
Cowen (I like Cowen's game more than Rundblad and I think he'll be more valuable than Rundblad unless his defensive game sees a major improvement)

Almost, but not exactly. Remember that Hedman was taken ahead of Duchene.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I really like what I have seen from Josefson, I think he will start to climb on peoples lists next season. Is it just me that think he just oozes potential? He was injured a big chunk of the season and didn't produce at all his first 10-12 games or so, but now when he have started to make himself at home in NHL, at least I see fantastic potential in him. He so damn skinny and not strong enough along the boards yet, but still looks damn good. When he fills out, he could turn out great.

He is very smart, he got speed, hands and vision. I actually think he could turn out to be the best of that years swedish forwards.

I get that he doesn't get much credit for a redraft at this point though, he still hasn't done much.

How come O'Reilly isn't higher on peoples lists? He is at least quite proven as a NHL-player, which is more than you can say about most of theese kids.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
1) Tavares
2) Duchene
3) Hedman
4) Kane
5) Schenn
6) Ekman-Larsson
7) Paajarvi
8) Rundblad
9) Kulikov
10) Kadri
11) Cowen
12) Ellis
13) Glennie
14) Kreider
15) Leddy
16) de Haan
17) Kassian
18) Moore
19) Johansson
20) Josefson

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
1a. Tavares
1b. Duchene
3. Kane
4. Hedman
5. OEL
6. Rundblad
7a. Paajarvi
7b. Schenn
9. Kulikov
10. Cowen
11. Kadri
12. Johansson
13. Clifford
14. Ellis
15. Kreider
16. Kassian
17. Caron
18. O'Reilly
19. Leblanc
20. Josefson
21. Erixon
22. Leddy
23. de Haan
24. Glennie
25. Moore
26. Palmieri
27. Morin
28. Tatar
29. Ashton
30. Panik

Duchene/Tavares and Paajarvi/Schenn are both ties for me. Can't pick.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I do agree, Tavares might be the smartest player in the entire league. He knows where the puck is going to be a few seconds before it actually gets there, he just has "IT".

to me, that title belongs to either crosby or lidstrom.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
Quite and impressive top 10 in this draft, all except for Glennie have played in the NHL already.

Also, it's insane how similar Tavares and Duchene's are:

Tavares GP159 52G 66A 118PTS
Duchene GP158 51G 67A 118PTS

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Johansson is a future 2nd line C/ 1st line center on some teams and IS playing like it. Cowen will be a top 4 shutdown D, Rundblad is a beast i dont need to explain that one you can look into it on your own, OEL has the talent/skill/vision to be an Erik Karlsson clone.

Clifford is an extremely useful player, Kassian has the potential to be better in the same role but as of right now i stand by that ranking. Leblanc could be above Clifford. Glennie? no chance he is ahead of Clifford.

OEL, Kulikov and MPS are pretty close in ranking

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
People say Toronto and Montreal fans overhype their prospects but Edmonton fans seem to be there aswell. MPS in this thread and Eberle in the other above Schenn, Bogosian and Carlson. :facepalm:

I'm sorry but WOW...

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Clifford is a 4th liner and don't see him becoming more than a serviceable third with good fighting skills. Seems to be quite high on some people's lists. He just seems like a case of reaching his potential earlier than expected. Doesn't make him top-end.

Parise09*

Clifford is a 4th liner and don't see him becoming more than a serviceable third with good fighting skills. Seems to be quite high on some people's lists. He just seems like a case of reaching his potential earlier than expected. Doesn't make him top-end.

This, too.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
But would you trade any of those linemates for PA Parenteau?

Yip, Porter, Winnik, Mauldin... I don't see enough of Parenteau to compare to anyone else, but I would trade those four for the extra skating room their absence would create. Tavares is fantastic at swatting pucks in from the side of the net, and he has good instincts, but he is never going to have the world-class speed that Duchene does. For two players with almost identical stats, I'm always going to take the better skater. Did anybody else watch Grabner make Kaberle look like a complete and utter pylon the other night? Speed kills, Duchene has it, Tavares doesn't.

Even if you consider them on par with one another skill wise, I'm going to take the kid that doesn't talk like he has peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth... :sueme:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You might be right but you think all these prospects are becoming 1st liners or 1st-2nd pairing defensemen or so ?

This is typical around here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad