GDT: Rd1 G2: caPs @ caTs 7:30ish

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The only two goalies that probably could have worked were Reimer and Jake Allen but both were injured around the deadline and I think only one ended up coming back anyway. Tough spot.
John Gibson was available as the Ducks GM said at the time he would listen to any offers. It still possible Gibson could be available during the off-season when teams don't have to be so concerned about the salary cap(teams can be up to 10% over the cap until the day before the opening night roster to start the new season).

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm not going to lie. I'm hate the fact the game tomorrow is a afternoon game. Maybe Backstrom will score the GWG.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That can be looked at 2 ways. Does the coach get credit for lifting vanny to where he is or blamed for not making him better
That’s bassakwards….

because he probably isn't. he started ahead of his time but he wasn't dead in the water as a prospect and is arguably right where he's expected to be no matter what.

if anything when you look at his tools and what he gives up it makes you think another coach could maybe solidify and create a decent backup out of the guy, because he's flashed some quality here and there
Dude….he was expected to platoon in the A and played capably in the NHL. That’s a massive leap that’s just brushed off for dislike. You guys can shit on and whine about whatever coach….it’s what fans do. I think you’re all chasing magic beans with the Korn infatuation angle.

i think at best he would marginally improve Sammy/Vanny, but not into to a top tier goalie.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That’s bassakwards….

Dude….he was expected to platoon in the A and played capably in the NHL. That’s a massive leap that’s just brushed off for dislike. You guys can shit on and whine about whatever coach….it’s what fans do. I think you’re all chasing magic beans with the Korn infatuation angle.

i think at best he would marginally improve Sammy/Vanny, but not into to a top tier goalie.
Nobody’s saying anything else though, you kind of manufactured the rest yourself.

I don’t actually dislike Vanecek, you just don’t get to ignore zero development from zero goalies over multiple years. When Vanecek jumped up to the NHL he also showed potential and didn’t completely drown so at a certain point you get to ask him to be an NHL goalie without being unreasonable.

We’re not even talking zero positive development, I don’t even see adjustments. When Holtby made adjustments to his play and positioning they were usually so obvious that you could see them or have the commentary team point them out as color pieces. These guys operate about the same as they ever have

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
That’s bassakwards….

I gave two equally opposite possibilities. How can they both be "bassakwards"?

Confused on your stance now. So you agree neither are/can be a number 1 but your upset at other posters saying that?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I gave two equally opposite possibilities. How can they both be "bassakwards"?

Confused on your stance now. So you agree neither are/can be a number 1 but your upset at other posters saying that?
Bassakwards is thinking anything other than he deserves some credit IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody’s saying anything else though, you kind of manufactured the rest yourself.

I don’t actually dislike Vanecek, you just don’t get to ignore zero development from zero goalies over multiple years. When Vanecek jumped up to the NHL he also showed potential and didn’t completely drown so at a certain point you get to ask him to be an NHL goalie without being unreasonable.

We’re not even talking zero positive development, I don’t even see adjustments. When Holtby made adjustments to his play and positioning they were usually so obvious that you could see them or have the commentary team point them out as color pieces. These guys operate about the same as they ever have
I manufactured nothing, but thx for jumping in late. This isn’t about Vanecek, it’s the credit or lack thereof for the Caps coaching staff for coaching him up, but getting shit for Sammy being pretty embarrassing sometimes.

you can only do so much as a coach, a teacher, a leader, etc….if you’re working with limited resources, should we really be expecting miracles?

Which is why I think they are as close to what they probably will be ever….decent to pretty OK, magic goalie coach beans or not.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
VV is a great back up goalie. He was never projected to be a starter. I’m not mad at him. I’m more irritated with management for putting him in this situation. And Sammy...well Sammy has been a mess for awhile but they doubled down on him because he was a first round pick. Hopefully this summer they get real about their goaltending situation.

Reactions: Caps8112

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I feel that both goalies have progressed little or not at all since entering the league. In Samsonov's case, I think he outright regressed.

It's entirely possible that they could use better coaching.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I manufactured nothing, but thx for jumping in late. This isn’t about Vanecek, it’s the credit or lack thereof for the Caps coaching staff for coaching him up, but getting shit for Sammy being pretty embarrassing sometimes.

you can only do so much as a coach, a teacher, a leader, etc….if you’re working with limited resources, should we really be expecting miracles?

Which is why I think they are as close to what they probably will be ever….decent to pretty OK, magic goalie coach beans or not.
I guess I'm missing the people who suggest either of them would be Vezina candidates or even top tier goalies? Maybe there was hope for Samsonov a few years ago but like... I'm not really seeing that suggested when it comes to the conversation of goalie coaches and it doesn't really have to be that drastic to suggest that a better coach could, you know, do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino