RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Seems more like a 2nd/3rd pair PP1 guy to me, like a better skating Barrie. He's less of a distributor than Barrie, and more of a pick hog, which I don't think will serve him well at the next level.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Am I the only one that was extremely disappointed in his play at the Hlinka? Not a potential top-10 selection like some were saying…

I expected more but I think it was maybe a case of a guy having a hard time fitting in and not being the 1 on his team.

His skating and his offensive ability are clear to me.

I'd probably draft him ahead of Mews because I think Parekh's offensive ceiling is that much higher even if Mews has a better understanding of the game/defensively right now.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Am I the only one that was extremely disappointed in his play at the Hlinka? Not a potential top-10 selection like some were saying…
Not the only one. I thought he wasn’t very sharp.

Seems more like a 2nd/3rd pair PP1 guy to me, like a better skating Barrie. He's less of a distributor than Barrie, and more of a pick hog, which I don't think will serve him well at the next level.
My stylistic comparison for his ceiling is Dumba.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
He’s definitely this years prospect who amateurs love but the actually nhl teams have substantially lower. A lot of holes in his game.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He’s definitely this years prospect who amateurs love but the actually nhl teams have substantially lower. A lot of holes in his game.
That Saginaw offensive system does wonders for kids like this, Mintyukov looked unstoppable in the same system then looked much more normal in Ottawa. Parekh is a very talented player, yes. First round worthy? Probably, top-10? I don’t think so Craig Button.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
That Saginaw offensive system does wonders for kids like this, Mintyukov looked unstoppable in the same system then looked much more normal in Ottawa. Parekh is a very talented player, yes. First round worthy? Probably, top-10? I don’t think so Craig Button.
If he can clean up his defensive game to an even mediocre level he could be a top 10 guy but if for he’ll go much after!

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He is going to fall this year. this is a player internet scouts are going to love but actual nhl teams aren’t.

He is going to have a fantastic offensive year Internet scouts and HF stat followers will go crazy about the stats but in reality this is a player that has a ton of risk attached to him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He is going to fall this year. this is a player internet scouts are going to love but actual nhl teams aren’t.

He is going to have a fantastic offensive year Internet scouts and HF stat followers will go crazy about the stats but in reality this is a player that has a ton of risk attached to him.
Which players, but an exclusive few, have no risk attached to them?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Which players, but an exclusive few, have no risk attached to them?
Where did I say players had no risk? all I said is that this player has a ton of risk attached.

Parekh is a forward that is listed as a defender and has terrible body language on the ice. These players NHL scouts don’t like very much. Look at Dragicevic.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Where did I say players had no risk? all I said is that this player has a ton of risk attached.

Parekh is a forward that is listed as a defender and has terrible body language on the ice. These players NHL scouts don’t like very much. Look at Dragicevic.

What scouts like are pro projectable traits and Parekh is a plus skater with a plus shot. Just on the value of those two alone he's going to get a lot of attention and that's before you factor in his ridiculous statline and that he's a RD. He's also 6'0, 181 lbs so not big but decent size.

A big problem with your Dragicevic comp is that he's a garbage skater while Parekh is very clearly a plus skater with fantastic edgework. I understand that wasn't the part you were comparing between the two but it's a key difference. Dragicevic can at times be a total panicked mess dealing with a strong forecheck while Parekh handles that same strong forecheck with ease.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
What scouts like are pro projectable traits and Parekh is a plus skater with a plus shot. Just on the value of those two alone he's going to get a lot of attention and that's before you factor in his ridiculous statline and that he's a RD. He's also 6'0, 181 lbs so not big but decent size.

A big problem with your Dragicevic comp is that he's a garbage skater while Parekh is very clearly a plus skater with fantastic edgework. I understand that wasn't the part you were comparing between the two but it's a key difference. Dragicevic can at times be a total panicked mess dealing with a strong forecheck while Parekh handles that same strong forecheck with ease.
those traits will get him drafted in the first two rounds, no doubt. They way he plays, or doesn’t play defence and his lack of physicality will give every teams pause, you don’t want the next Erik Brannstrom after all.

then the way he composes himself on the ice many teams won‘t like either, he’s cocky, immature and he plays the game as if he is the only player on the ice at times, this isn’t a great trait as a defender.

Agreed with the Dragecevic comment though although I don’t think his skating is bad

Last edited:

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Parayko, Parekh-o......c'mon hockey gods make this happen for me. The Blues could have a Parayko out there for 45 minutes a game at RD if you just come through with the aligning of stars and such.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

I tend to agree with this line of thinking.

He's a 1 way defenseman at this point, all he thinks is offense. He is a great skater & makes some really good offensive plays, he can even defend the rush, but if you can't play in your own zone you can't play in the league.

Maybe he could get there, but right now I don't think he's a top 10 guy. This profile generally doesn't do well.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I tend to agree with this line of thinking.

He's a 1 way defenseman at this point, all he thinks is offense. He is a great skater & makes some really good offensive plays, he can even defend the rush, but if you can't play in your own zone you can't play in the league.

Maybe he could get there, but right now I don't think he's a top 10 guy. This profile generally doesn't do well.

I don't see Parekh's skating as elite, when he's defending he's not strong on his edges and lacks quickness.

The league has a surplus of one way offensive D that can score okay. You can get Tyson Barrie or Adam Boqvist for cheap.

On the other hand, Saginaw was much better than Ottawa at bringing out Mintyukov's real talent, which is currently dominating in the NHL. Teams would be all over Parekh if he was anything close to as versatile as Mintyukov. The amateur / internet scouts were much more right about Mintyukov and league scouts will be wanting to learn from that mistake. That could help the adventurous Parekh, but I think ultimately he just isn't close enough in talent.

Another point: The Saginaw system shouldn't be misleading. Just look at how a player defends when they're in a defensive position and ignore the amount of time they're caught up ice. Mintyukov was up ice all the time but defended well when he was in defensive position. Parekh does not defend well.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I don't see Parekh's skating as elite, when he's defending he's not strong on his edges and lacks quickness.

The league has a surplus of one way offensive D that can score okay. You can get Tyson Barrie or Adam Boqvist for cheap.

On the other hand, Saginaw was much better than Ottawa at bringing out Mintyukov's real talent, which is currently dominating in the NHL. Teams would be all over Parekh if he was anything close to as versatile as Mintyukov. The amateur / internet scouts were much more right about Mintyukov and league scouts will be wanting to learn from that mistake. That could help the adventurous Parekh, but I think ultimately he just isn't close enough in talent.

Another point: The Saginaw system shouldn't be misleading. Just look at how a player defends when they're in a defensive position and ignore the amount of time they're caught up ice. Mintyukov was up ice all the time but defended well when he was in defensive position. Parekh does not defend well.
nevertheless, he will get drafted pretty high because he is RD and scores lots of goals and points

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
People on here speak about Parekh the same way they spoke about Mateychuk in his draft year. I’ve watched much of Parekh but barely any of Mateychuk that year; so can’t say that they’re super super similar, but regardless of the risk associated with this type of profile, there’s always a team who bites early enough. Seeing him play a few times so far, I can’t see him dropping past 20-25

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
People on here speak about Parekh the same way they spoke about Mateychuk in his draft year. I’ve watched much of Parekh but barely any of Mateychuk that year; so can’t say that they’re super super similar, but regardless of the risk associated with this type of profile, there’s always a team who bites early enough. Seeing him play a few times so far, I can’t see him dropping past 20-25
I watched a ton of Mateychuk in his draft year. I’ve watched a handful of games for Parekh so far this season. I liked Mateychuk at lot more than Parekh. I think Mateychuk was much more well rounded. Parekh is still mostly all offense. Parekh reminds me of Sean Durzi or Shayne Gostisbehere.

I like Parekh, though. I’d have him behind only Dickinson and Yakemchuk in my rankings for CHL D this draft. I like him much more than Mews and Elick at this point. But it’s early still.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
As a Saginaw fan I’ve seen a ton of Parekh and Minty play here. Parekh is far ahead offensively of where Pavel was offensively at the same age. I mean in his draft year Parekh is scoring at a better rate then Pavel did in his d+1 season as a late birthday.

Yeah the defense needs to improve but he’s scoring at an all time rate for a OHL defensemen. Some team is going to see a rd who might score 40+ goals in two OHL seasons and wonder why can’t he run a power play for the next 15 years and they won’t be wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad