RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
The 2022 OHL class of defenders is looking fantastic early on.

Sam Dickinson
Anthony Cristoforo
Henry Mews
Parker Von Richter
Zayne Parekh
Ben Danford
Matt Virgillio
Frankie Marelli

have all looked great at one point or another this season.
Looking like a big year for D next season, I could see 4-5 of these guys end up being first round picks, I would expect at least 3 of them to be. Throw in some of these guys:

Aron Kiviharju
Artyom Levshunov
Veeti Väisänen
Cole Hutson
Jakub Chromiak (also playing OHL)
Charlie Elick
Adam Jiricek
Dominik Badinka

Could be a special year for the back end!

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Looking like a big year for D next season, I could see 4-5 of these guys end up being first round picks, I would expect at least 3 of them to be. Throw in some of these guys:

Aron Kiviharju
Artyom Levshunov
Veeti Väisänen
Cole Hutson
Jakub Chromiak (also playing OHL)
Charlie Elick
Adam Jiricek
Dominik Badinka

Could be a special year for the back end!
Will Skahan, John Whipple and Alfons Freij I’d add to this list.

But I agree - 2024 looks like a good year for defensive talent.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
No, he’s not.

Hes at 20 as a 16 year old and he was behind Mintyukov in terms of offensive opportunities for 3/4 of the season this year on a mediocre club. A team that essentially plays positionless hockey in the offensive zone and lets creative offensive players cook.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? With Misa likely going over 100 pts next year and whomever else Saginaw brings in to go on a run the next two seasons helping him fill the net of course.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Hes at 20 as a 16 year old and he was behind Mintyukov in terms of offensive opportunities for 3/4 of the season this year on a mediocre club. A team that essentially plays positionless hockey in the offensive zone and lets creative offensive players cook.

Is it likely? No. Is it possible? With Misa likely going over 100 pts next year and whomever else Saginaw brings in to go on a run the next two seasons helping him fill the net of course.
If he hits 40 goals at any point in junior - i’ll change my PFP to anything of your choosing for one week.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this is the best goal scoring season of his junior career.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
If he hits 40 goals at any point in junior - i’ll change my PFP to anything of your choosing for one week.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if this is the best goal scoring season of his junior career.

I literally said it wasnt likely, just that it was possible. Hes essentially a fwd in Saginaws system after all, possesses a great shot, will play on a stacked team in a conference that will he really down next season. Its possible but not likely. I like his 16 year old season as much as I liked Mintyukovs draft season and thats saying something. Saginaw is a great destination for offensive defensemen.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Haven't seen him play but I know that he has been neck and neck with Mailloux for the OHL goal leaders for D the entire season. Was surprised to see that he wasn't eligible until next year.

Is he looking like legit top-15, or was this more of an everything going right season?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Haven't seen him play but I know that he has been neck and neck with Mailloux for the OHL goal leaders for D the entire season. Was surprised to see that he wasn't eligible until next year.

Is he looking like legit top-15, or was this more of an everything going right season?
I think he could be a first rounder - still needs to add strength, he struggles at times with breakouts and is an outright bad defender but the offensive potential is promising.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Parekh and Misa will be feeding off each other for years to come. Over 23-24 + 24-25 season Saginaw is in with both boots on. DD will have most of the team back and will surround these guys with some more veterans. JMO, Parekh hits 30 goals plus in his career. Possibly next year when he is on the #1 PP and playing with Mancini as top 2-4 D his quality TOI increases and he starts to develop all facets of his game. Selling Mintyukov restocked the cupboard and Saginaw will be 1 of the better teams next season. Zayne will be a top 30 pick 24 NHL Draft. Vision, shot, still growing love to see how much he developes in 5 years.

Reactions: Dominance

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
What's up with this kid and how he scores like crazy as a dman
Offensive defender than plays in a system that us extremely friendly to players like him to have the green light.

Look at Pavel Mintyukov’s numbers with Saginaw vs Ottawa. Still good but nowhere near where they were with Saginaw.

You’re either breeding mini Cale Makar’s, or developing bad habits for these kids. I guess we’ll see in the future.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Offensive defender than plays in a system that us extremely friendly to players like him to have the green light.

Look at Pavel Mintyukov’s numbers with Saginaw vs Ottawa. Still good but nowhere near where they were with Saginaw.

You’re either breeding mini Cale Makar’s, or developing bad habits for these kids. I guess we’ll see in the future.
True, but those numbers for goals as a 17 year-old is pretty damn good

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
No denying that Parekh plays in a very friendly system in Saginaw but he has a really unique and skilled game at the offensive end already. With his smooth skating, offensive zone IQ, and high end shot I think he could develop into an absolute monster PP player at the next level. I'm surprised his assists totals aren't higher as he distributes the puck pretty effectively as well however he has to continue develop his game as a playmaker. And of course his continued development on the defensive end will be what ultimately pushes him to the next level as a prospect.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad