RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
In this specific case, do you think Soderstrom is the third best prospect in the draft. If he was the BPA at 3, why didn’t they trade up sooner? I don’t buy it for a second that he was third on their list.

To judge this claim he was the third best player in the draft, you need a time-machine, and look at the redrafts of 2019 in 2029. Or something.

I don't say he is right, because I have no idea, of course. But it's a claim, and it can be judged- just not yet.

If you know the actual third overall is gonna fall to 12, you trade up to 11. It is genious.

If you are right.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I love this kid. He was my 2nd D in the draft personally. Oozes hockey sense, great all around player. He’ll continue to improve as he develops physically, great pick and smart trade up by ARZ IMHO

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Chayka said they tried to take up to like 7 or 8 but teams were not interested.

11 was the highset he could trade up too.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I guess a comment like that boosts a prospects confidence. At the same time, if he fizzles out the whole organization looks incompetent for ranking him 3rd.

No f***ing way Arizona picks him if they had the 3rd pick like cmon man. We are not stupid.

That being said If he did had him ranked 3rd it explains why he hired a member of the Canuck staff.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In this specific case, do you think Soderstrom is the third best prospect in the draft. If he was the BPA at 3, why didn’t they trade up sooner? I don’t buy it for a second that he was third on their list.

Remember that it takes two teams to trade. For all we know, the Coyotes did try and trade up with Chicago to #3. Chicago did not think they would get a player of Dach's potential, even if the package of picks being returned was able to move the needle.

If you have someone graded out as #3 on your overall board, and you know that the earliest that other teams may have him is #8, then the most you would need to trade up to is #7 to guarantee that player.

In a way, I consider this smart asset management. Florida had the following 3 players very high on their list: Soderstrom, Seider, Knight in some order. They could have been 9, 10, and 11 on their list, but that doesn't mean that they have to trade up to those spots so that the pick is justifiable to their board.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He'd be getting lots of minutes in the SHL. Not a fan of this move.
Seems like a mistake to me, too. I feel more comfortable with him continuing to develop with Brynas, where he's already got himself on a great trajectory, in a superior league. Coming to Tucson, he's going to have to start all over again, and this time he's going to be "that Swedish kid" rather than a young leader. Based on some of the things I've read, he's really got Brynas to buy into him a lot, and he's doing some unique things there that I read as good for his development.

His NHL team doesn't have a great development track-record. Especially at the AHL level. I don't know that Tucson Arizona is going to provide him the same level of access to development tools that Brynas would. About all I can say for Tucson is that the playing surface is smaller, and that's good. What else?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
If this means he impresses so much now, OEL and Hjalmarsson agrees to him jumping into NHL, this would be magnificient. Let's see what happens. He is after all just a half year younger than Heiskanen was when he came over. And that was a D everybody seems to agree on actually going third.

He can still get nine games and go back to Sweden for the year, right?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
No ****ing way Arizona picks him if they had the 3rd pick like cmon man. We are not stupid.

That being said If he did had him ranked 3rd it explains why he hired a member of the Canuck staff.
Burke said right after Rielly's draft that they had him number 1 and that would seem crazy at the time. Fast forward to today...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Seems like a mistake to me, too. I feel more comfortable with him continuing to develop with Brynas, where he's already got himself on a great trajectory, in a superior league. Coming to Tucson, he's going to have to start all over again, and this time he's going to be "that Swedish kid" rather than a young leader. Based on some of the things I've read, he's really got Brynas to buy into him a lot, and he's doing some unique things there that I read as good for his development.

His NHL team doesn't have a great development track-record. Especially at the AHL level. I don't know that Tucson Arizona is going to provide him the same level of access to development tools that Brynas would. About all I can say for Tucson is that the playing surface is smaller, and that's good. What else?

Eh, I think Tucson has been fine. Strome, Perlini, Fischer, even Merkley. It's just when they get called up to Glendale that it gets f***ed up.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m not sure how often bringing these European teen defencemen into the AHL works, but it doesn’t seem often. Honka busted hard after playing in the AHL at 18. Liljegren is a question mark, but his offensive game hasn’t grown in the AHL. Sandin has done very well though.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Burke said right after Rielly's draft that they had him number 1 and that would seem crazy at the time. Fast forward to today...
That’s a little different though. He was ranked way higher in mock drafts than Soderstrom. Also, who could’ve foreseen Murray’s injuries.

That being said, besides the Hughes-Kakko arguments, one of the more compelling arguments that kinda went unnoticed was who the best defensive prospect was (after Byram). Saying that they had him as the “3rd best player in the draft” is most likely a bit of an overstatement, but I could see why they might’ve had him at 4 or 5. I definitely think they would’ve picked him at 5. He played 44 games in the SHL for a reason.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That’s a little different though. He was ranked way higher in mock drafts than Soderstrom. Also, who could’ve foreseen Murray’s injuries.

That being said, besides the Hughes-Kakko arguments, one of the more compelling arguments that kinda went unnoticed was who the best defensive prospect was (after Byram). Saying that they had him as the “3rd best player in the draft” is most likely a bit of an overstatement, but I could see why they might’ve had him at 4 or 5. I definitely think they would’ve picked him at 5. He played 44 games in the SHL for a reason.
They had him ranked third.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
They had him ranked third.
If he was so highly regarded than he should be fine in Tucson. As long as he gets a chance to play alot of minutes and get time on special teams than it's not a bad place for him to be. Him being in the SHL allows him to not be rushed but he also misses out on a year of North American hockey. Could be a big challenge trying to make the big club next year hypothetically.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
AHL better than SHL????? WTF? I hope you didn't mean that and i misunderstood you.

Leagues like SHL,SM-Liiga,NLA are superior to the AHL.

They’re completely different leagues, you see lots of guys that can’t cut it in the AHL go over to Europe and be stars, you also see it the other way around too where they’re stars in Europe but can’t cut it in the AHL. To say that the leagues are superior really isn’t that easy. If you look at a lot of guys stats, they’re pretty similar when going from one league to other, I personally don’t see much difference, if any in them. I’m of the opinion that there is some higher end talent in the SHL/SM-Liiga/NLA but the bottoms of their rosters really aren’t as good and it basically equals out to a wash at the end of the day. However, that’s just my opinion from watching each of the leagues.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
They’re completely different leagues, you see lots of guys that can’t cut it in the AHL go over to Europe and be stars, you also see it the other way around too where they’re stars in Europe but can’t cut it in the AHL. To say that the leagues are superior really isn’t that easy. If you look at a lot of guys stats, they’re pretty similar when going from one league to other, I personally don’t see much difference, if any in them. I’m of the opinion that there is some higher end talent in the SHL/SM-Liiga/NLA but the bottoms of their rosters really aren’t as good and it basically equals out to a wash at the end of the day. However, that’s just my opinion from watching each of the leagues.
Yep. Small speed guys do better in Europe where the ice is bigger & the game is softer. Big slow guys from Europe do well in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad