RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I am just wary of swedish D talent in AHL. Cant think of many that developed well. Brannstrom hasnt had a great development in AHL, neither have liljegren or sandin. Almost feeld like all our talent is going to waste. Worried for soderstrom.
Brännström had great development in the AHL, he went over when he should have. Should have gotten called up in Vegas, but that isn't McPhee's style, he got injured by goons which is the only negative.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Can you dive into that a little more? What did you see out of him in Brynas? What needs the most work? What areas are you hoping to see him progress in?

As a huge Brynäs fan since over 30 years I watch all their games each season, hence I've seen every game Söderström's done since he came up from the juniors. His defense absolutely needs more work, sometimes he takes really uneccessary risks instead of the playing it safe. I also think he needs to improve his shot quality in the offensive zone. I saw a lot of good in him this past season, it was just obvious that he was a junior. Sometimes insecure, major risk taking.. Him transporting the puck and his vision and IQ is already top quality though. Just need to mature.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why would he attend the Coyotes training camp? He’s not going to make the team. Missing the first two months of Brynas season won’t be good for his development.

Reactions: CLW

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Any info yet on why he was replaced by Cronholm on the Swedish roster for the WJSS?
YES! Some one help us understand this please!
Why would he attend the Coyotes training camp? He’s not going to make the team. Missing the first two months of Brynas season won’t be good for his development.
He might make the team. Or might at least get a 9 game. That exposure to the NHL. To the speed and quality of the game. To the schedule and lifestyle is invaluable. It will continue to feed the desire when he goes back.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He might make the team. Or might at least get a 9 game. That exposure to the NHL. To the speed and quality of the game. To the schedule and lifestyle is invaluable. It will continue to feed the desire when he goes back.
To be honest, I think keeping guys up for 9 games is usually a detriment to their season. They generally have trouble getting back into the swing of things when they get back and tend to be playing catch-up. For example, I thought it really hurt Dylan Strome for the 2017 WJC.

rt

May 13, 2004
To be honest, I think keeping guys up for 9 games is usually a detriment to their season. They generally have trouble getting back into the swing of things when they get back and tend to be playing catch-up. For example, I thought it really hurt Dylan Strome for the 2017 WJC.
How much of that was pouting? Did he think he had a spot and got the rug pulled out? Maybe communication is the key to these things.

Who knows?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How much of that was pouting? Did he think he had a spot and got the rug pulled out? Maybe communication is the key to these things.

Who knows?
I think it happens with a lot of players. If you have no intention of keeping them up past the 9 games, you should just send them back at the end of camp. I feel it helps players adjust better to their surroundings and get going on the season. I don't think players tend to really learn much in those 9 games. Better to work out a plan with your development staff, give the kid the plan, and then get him going in junior. I remember with Marner the Leafs sent him down fairly quickly compared to some other 2015 guys, I think he benefitted by quickly being able to get back into the OHL routine and work on the development plan the Leafs gave him. He easily had the skill to get the 9 game taste.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
In Söderström's case I think it's fine, his position with Brynäs is good enough so he'll be a top-4 once (or if) he comes back anyway. Might be worse for other guys in similar spots like Björnfot who would really benefit from fighting for a good role in Sweden instead of having spent May-October going back and forth between Europe and North America.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Some teams have decided that it's better for Euros who really aren't ready to just stay in Europe and do training camp with their team. Having them go to NHL camp, then go back to a team that prepared without them can set them back. For example, the Canadiens have explicitly said they think they've made that mistake with a couple of prospects and feel the continuity and comfort during a season of development is worth more than "getting used to North American hockey".... especially when training camp isn't really North American hockey.

I'm not saying those teams have the right philosophy, only that the "Hey let him come to America for a month, if he doesn't make it, nothing lost" isn't universally held by some of the people who do this for a living... right or wrong.

Reactions: CLW

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Some teams have decided that it's better for Euros who really aren't ready to just stay in Europe and do training camp with their team. Having them go to NHL camp, then go back to a team that prepared without them can set them back. For example, the Canadiens have explicitly said they think they've made that mistake with a couple of prospects and feel the continuity and comfort during a season of development is worth more than "getting used to North American hockey".... especially when training camp isn't really North American hockey.

I'm not saying those teams have the right philosophy, only that the "Hey let him come to America for a month, if he doesn't make it, nothing lost" isn't universally held by some of the people who do this for a living... right or wrong.
The Canadiens have said that? When?

Reactions: Gravity

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Super smooth looking out there. Has poise beyond his years...along with guys like Harley, Heinola and Bjornfot - among 2019 draftees playing well above his experience level in pre-season. Not sure he’s a full time NHLer this year but good enough to get a cup of coffee.

There may not be a Dahlin/Heiskinen/Makar level guy in the 2019 draft blueline crop but it sure looks like the first round is going to be loaded with future top 4 defenders and at least a handful will end up being even better than that - although it’s far too early to tell who. Sometimes the immediate post-draft camp is easier to shine in and surpass expectations in than the second go around. Ty Smith is a very current example of this.

rt

May 13, 2004
He looked better than any of our dmen last night. Really big fan of his game.
Yeah, I would say he was the best D for either team last night. Kid is so smooth and so poised with the puck. Just really cool under pressure and makes good decisions and executes them effectively. He’s not super flashy. But he’s very efficient. So much so that you actually notice it.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Number of current Swedish D's in the NHL who scored more than 5(!) points in their U18 SHL season: 2. There are a pretty large amount of Swedish D's in the NHL, far more than the Finnish. Numbers there are not important, at all.

Secondly, Boqvist was the last man cut from the Chicago training camp. Would have been the youngest Swedish player to ever play an NHL game had he made it. Jokiharju was an early cut last year and Boqvist will likely beat his WHL numbers.

D+1:
Boqvist 1.11ppg
Jokiharju 1.127ppg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Soderstrom will probably get a 9 game look and then assessed from there, but he is already playing at an NHL level. I had pretty low expectations but from the moment the puck dropped in his first prospect game he was all business. Eerily calm, smart and quick decisions with the puck. His biggest problem has actually been the play of his defensive partners.

He is much more technically sound than when Chychrun made the team. I wouldn't be shocked if he sticks all year, or if they just move him up and down between Tucson and the big club based on the lineup for a given night. Going back to Sweden doesn't seem necessary at this point.

OEL has been mentoring Soderstrom and letting him live at his house.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Soderstrom will probably get a 9 game look and then assessed from there, but he is already playing at an NHL level. I had pretty low expectations but from the moment the puck dropped in his first prospect game he was all business. Eerily calm, smart and quick decisions with the puck. His biggest problem has actually been the play of his defensive partners.

He is much more technically sound than when Chychrun made the team. I wouldn't be shocked if he sticks all year, or if they just move him up and down between Tucson and the big club based on the lineup for a given night. Going back to Sweden doesn't seem necessary at this point.

OEL has been mentoring Soderstrom and letting him live at his house.
I was high on this kid going into the draft, and didn't understand why many had him rated in the 17-25 range. "Not enough upside" "feet not good enough"(said to me in a tweet by one noted prospect "expert"). Teen D in their draft year just don't put up pts in the SHL. Put him in the OHL or USHL last year and the hype would've been a lot bigger I think.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I was not high on him

I was dead wrong

Very impressed with his preseason play, I think the Coyotes picked a great one here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad