RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Personally don't care which league is better. Players at that age should not be moved around like that unless they are in a terrible spot developmental wise. Söderström was in the perfect spot, hard to think of a better situation for an 18 year old D than to play big minutes in the SHL.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Personally don't care which league is better. Players at that age should not be moved around like that unless they are in a terrible spot developmental wise. Söderström was in the perfect spot, hard to think of a better situation for an 18 year old D than to play big minutes in the SHL.
He’ll be in Tucson where they can watch him closely and anytime they want

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What do you mean, “best his WHL numbers?” He already failed to do that this year, Jokiharju put up a better draft+1 season than Boqvist did. His draft+2 year was split between AHL/NHL.

How so? Boqvist had a higher PPG average in a better(?) league while missing stretches with injury. Boqvist looked like the far superior player at the WJC in my eyes as well.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

This. It's not like he was an afterthought on his team like maybe Liljegren was. He'd be a top-4 guy and playing power play developing his game in his hometown on the pro level.

The whole controlling the development thing is strange when guys are in a good spot with a good track record. Jury's still out obviously on guys like Liljegren, Alexander Nylander, Lias Andersson, Isac Lundeström but I think most can agree being moved around a lot between 18-20 and not being in spots where they can be calm and confident has not pushed their development ahead in an expected manner.

Reactions: rt

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
How so? Boqvist had a higher PPG average in a better(?) league while missing stretches with injury. Boqvist looked like the far superior player at the WJC in my eyes as well.
That’s incorrect.

Boqvist in his D+1 was at a 1.11ppg rate, Jokiharju was at 1.126

The rest of it is subjective except the injury part. Boqvist is indeed racking up quite the injury history.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Could not agree more.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sounds like he will play with Brynäs in the coming season unless he's ready for the NHL which is unlikely.
That's good news. As others have said, teams have a good track record with leaving Swedish players to develop out in Sweden. especially D-Men. He'll be in good hands in Brynas.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He’ll be in Tucson where they can watch him closely and anytime they want
I wonder how content the Coyotes are with Tuscon in terms of developing their prospects. That often comes into play when deciding where to put a player (whenever you have control over that). I mean,would Tucson be better for Victor, or Brynas?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd keep in Sweden for at least one more year. If he seems to be mature both physically and character wise, and is up for the NA lifestyle, then put him in the AHL, but he can mature just fine in Sweden.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It appears the plan is that he’s going to come to the NHL camp to attempt to make earn an NHL spot. If he fails to stick in the NHL, he will likely return to Brynas.

It’s very possible that he will play 9/12 games for the Coyotes in October, being scratched for the other three. Then be sent back to Brynas when November comes. WJC time after Christmas. Then next season, perhaps he’s going to stick in the NHL or maybe give the AHL a shot at that time.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I wonder how content the Coyotes are with Tuscon in terms of developing their prospects. That often comes into play when deciding where to put a player (whenever you have control over that). I mean,would Tucson be better for Victor, or Brynas?

In order to accelerate him being accustomed to the speed size and his gap control needed for the NHL, Tucson is the better option.

He’s not going to get more minutes in Brynas than he did last year , is he?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
In order to accelerate him being accustomed to the speed size and his gap control needed for the NHL, Tucson is the better option.

He’s not going to get more minutes in Brynas than he did last year , is he?

He, like all players his age, should not focus on adapting to anything. Just become a quality player first, it has worked for many before him. And yes, he will play more minutes next season according to his coach. No Bertilsson or Gunderson on their blueline next season.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Playing top minutes in SHL would benefit him, hopefully he wont chose the talent graveyard that is AHL.
I don’t think that would be the plan for this season. I expect they want to get him as much exposure to the NHL life as they can without burning a year of ELC and then send him back to the SHL. Next year, he probably needs to be in North America one way or the other. If he can’t make the NHL squad, it probably makes sense for him to play in the AHL.

At least I hope this is the plan. I also hope he’s made to earn his 9 games and isn’t just handed the audition. The Coyotes are trying to make the playoffs and points earned in the first 10 games of a season count the same as points earned in the last 10 games of the season. Söderström’s development is important but not more than the team’s success.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I don’t think that would be the plan for this season. I expect they want to get him as much exposure to the NHL life as they can without burning a year of ELC and then send him back to the SHL. Next year, he probably needs to be in North America one way or the other. If he can’t make the NHL squad, it probably makes sense for him to play in the AHL.

At least I hope this is the plan. I also hope he’s made to earn his 9 games and isn’t just handed the audition. The Coyotes are trying to make the playoffs and points earned in the first 10 games of a season count the same as points earned in the last 10 games of the season. Söderström’s development is important but not more than the team’s success.
I am just wary of swedish D talent in AHL. Cant think of many that developed well. Brannstrom hasnt had a great development in AHL, neither have liljegren or sandin. Almost feeld like all our talent is going to waste. Worried for soderstrom.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I'd keep in Sweden for at least one more year. If he seems to be mature both physically and character wise, and is up for the NA lifestyle, then put him in the AHL, but he can mature just fine in Sweden.

He's got a long way to go before he could fit in the NHL, based on how he performed last season in Brynäs. Like you mention, his game needs to mature a lot before he should take the big step over.

rt

May 13, 2004
He's got a long way to go before he could fit in the NHL, based on how he performed last season in Brynäs. Like you mention, his game needs to mature a lot before he should take the big step over.
Can you dive into that a little more? What did you see out of him in Brynas? What needs the most work? What areas are you hoping to see him progress in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad