RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I keep hearing Clarke getting compared to Mike Green. If that's true, I don't want him on my team. Edvinsson sounds like a Brett Pesce. I know who I'd take 11 times out of 10 between the two. I know fans love points but your forwards should be on the wing not on the blue line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I keep hearing Clarke getting compared to Mike Green. If that's true, I don't want him on my team. Edvinsson sounds like a Brett Pesce. I know who I'd take 11 times out of 10 between the two. I know fans love points but your forwards should be on the wing not on the blue line.

Clarke is more similar to Klingberg.

Reactions: Fatass

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Mike Green used to be one of the premier defensemen in the league before injuries hampered his abilities. The dude potted 30 goals one season, man.

Reactions: gbdet

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Edvinson is a good pick. D Insane upside. Benning really liked him and he wasn't wrong, because he wouldn't have dropped to us. I've said I wouldn't mind him at all if he was there at 9 of course we traded our pick. My point is, he is a good pick because his is a puck controlled exit dman and a puck controlled offensive entry dman that has size and speed. He's also very good at generating shots on goal and goal scoring chances for his team. Of course there are times where he does make questionable passing plays, but overall because he can fly up and down the ice with the puck shows he can be a valuable asset to the Detroit Redwings.

Great pick.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Do people only remember 30+ Mike Green? The guy was ridiculously good in his prime.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Detroit with two headscratchers in this draft. You had the opportunity to draft Eklund and Wallstedt but instead chose Edvinson and Cossa??? It's bizarre. A perfect example of a GM trying to outsmart himself.

I’m with you on Edvinsson, Cossa may be better than Wallstedt. Too soon to say, and goalies are tough to project in general.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
i wouldn't just blindly trust yzerman. he just loves picking big defensemen sometimes it works sometimes not

I will say, his track record with high picks in Tampa is downright bad. Did an amazing job getting steals out of later picks + found money from undrafted free agents, but Brett Connolly? Jonathan Drouin? Slater Koekkoek? Those are bad picks.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Detroit with two headscratchers in this draft. You had the opportunity to draft Eklund and Wallstedt but instead chose Edvinson and Cossa??? It's bizarre. A perfect example of a GM trying to outsmart himself.

Gee maybe since they already took a 5-10 winger last year they wanted to go a different direction this year. And maybe they think Cossa has higher upside than wallstedt.

It’s hilarious when people who have done a fraction of the research NHL scouting departments have done on these kids think they know better. Edvinsson wasn’t who I wanted Wings to take but I’m not gonna pretend like I know more because I saw a few clips and some public draft rankings lmao

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Gee maybe since they already took a 5-10 winger last year they wanted to go a different direction this year. And maybe they think Cossa has higher upside than wallstedt.

It’s hilarious when people who have done a fraction of the research NHL scouting departments have done on these kids think they know better. Edvinsson wasn’t who I wanted Wings to take but I’m not gonna pretend like I know more because I saw a few clips and some public draft rankings lmao
And it isn't like Edvinsson was some huge reach. Bob McKenzie's consensus list had him at 3, and most others had him at around 7-8. Not exactly a bad spot to take him, even with Eklund on the board still. There was a lot of talk about 2-8 being really close calls, and we saw that play out last night.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Completely agree. He tried to outsmart himself back in 2019 with the Seider pick as well and look how that turned out.

No. Seider was a good pick. A surprising pick to some but I judged it as a good pick when it was made.
There were better players ahead of Edvinsson. And Wallstedt has been consistently rated as the top goalie in the draft by pretty much everyone. Cossa had a late first/early second round grade. Eye test don't lie either when you watch both goalies play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad