RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
As of now Simon Edvinsson should be considered the top Swedish player for the 2021 draft. Smooth 6'3 defenseman with fantastic mobility in all directions. High end puck skills for a big guy as well. Tough to rate his hockey sense and decision making at this point as he's rarely challenged playing on dominant teams in lower level leagues.

Simon Edvinsson at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was impressed. I didn't find the defensive errors to be as bas as the reports, although I don't doubt the reports of those who've seen more. He can obviously skate and has a good amount of offensive ability. He didn't stand out as bad defensively. A few bad decisions, but he also made some nice plays defending.

Ethansavestheday

Nov 18, 2019
For those who’ve been able to watch him lately, how does he compare to Anton Olsson who is also 2021 draft eligible and has already seen playing time in the SHL? Playing styles, potential wise, etc.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm seeing him mocked as high as 5 on some sites, but there doesn't seem to be much talk about Edvinsson. Can someone tell me more about him?

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Good size, great skater, great puck skills. More of a Broberg type of puck-rusher than a creative puck moving guy? That is the impression I got so far.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I ranked him 3rd in March 2020. But a Swedish defender of his age has to make his way in SHL to hope to be selected top 10.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Cliffnotes version of the article: Very good hands and skating, ok to good defensively, sometimes gets caught up ice gambling a bit, muffin shot.
Compared to Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

The kid looks really good in the clips and highlights I've been able to snag. Edvinsson looks like he could be a top pair minute muncher at some point.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very surprised he didn't make the WJC team

I'm glad Edvinsson didn't make the team. He's better than a few players who made it but his role would have been very minor. He's better off training/playing with Frölunda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad