RD Simon Edvinsson - Grand Rapids Griffins., AHL (2021, 6th, DET)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
High level IQ on this kid. The more I watch of him the higher I keep putting him. In my top 5 for sure at this stage.
I liked him a lot the first few times I looked into him, but the "bad passing" section of his Scouching video (2:45-4:00 video posted above), has me really concerned and questioning his hockey IQ. What makes you not concerned about that?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Man if he could learn to pass he would be infinitely better. He's way too casual in his passes. I don't know if it's nonchalant or panic, but he turns the puck over way too much. Fix that and he's got a great game worth investing in-- I just think it's hard to fix brainfarts. He just doesn't have the IQ or vision to complete a higher percentage of passes and not turn the puck over from the multiple footages I've seen.

That's what I noticed as well. His passes are too damn soft. And when he does try to put something behind them they flutter. If he could clean that part of his game up then you're talking about a guy that's a top 4 pick in just about any draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I liked him a lot the first few times I looked into him, but the "bad passing" section of his Scouching video (2:45-4:00 video posted above), has me really concerned and questioning his hockey IQ. What makes you not concerned about that?
To me he looks like a head down player, who struggles if he doesn’t have the puck.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015

You are going to find flaws in all these kids, especially in a 1 minute cherry picking exercise. Exactly why I stopped watching Scouching a long time ago.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
You are going to find flaws in all these kids, especially in a 1 minute cherry picking exercise. Exactly why I stopped watching Scouching a long time ago.
Best is to watch an entire game yourself and get an idea of the kids shift to shift tendencies. However I just saw that scouching video and even though he’s showing his audience a short snippet, he does present that he’s seen multiple game footages and bases his opinion on that. I wouldn’t use his video to scout actual footage of the players but instead to get reads on what footages he has seen.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
The guy watches many full games on all of these prospects. What makes you think it's 1-minute cherry-picking?

I have a host of reasons that I treat his data and output with a massive grain of salt. Would not be cool for me to publicly tear apart his stuff in the detail you want. He is a content creator trying to make a buck.

When Blackbook is out in a few weeks I am willing to bet Edvinsson is near the top. For a guy that moves pucks a lot, he is going to have his fair share of bad passes.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
I have a host of reasons that I treat his data and output with a massive grain of salt. Would not be cool for me to publicly tear apart his stuff in the detail you want. He is a content creator trying to make a buck.

When Blackbook is out in a few weeks I am willing to bet Edvinsson is near the top. For a guy that moves pucks a lot, he is going to have his fair share of bad passes.
He will, i like their work a lot

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Well I feel free to say it - that kind of data collection doesn't give you a firm picture until you've got a lot more games recorded. A seven game sample, with players playing in multiple leagues, where you have no frame of reference for how they are doing relative to their teammates, is simply put not worth a whole lot. The data is maybe slightly better than nothing but it shouldn't be taken seriously.

Now Edvinsson in particular makes a ton of passes so I think Scouch maybe did come up with a meaningful sample there. And he's talking about a percentage of passes that are bad, not just a count of bad passes. My objection would be that that is probably in the fixable category, so perhaps not as big of a deal as he made it out to be.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Are there really any defenseman that have the kind of toolkit that Edvinsson does. Like what defenseman in the NHL has a comparable level of size, skating, and stick handling. I feel like that is a mix of elite traits that isnt necessarily present in the NHL as of now, that’s probably why it is kinda hard to find a good comparison (I’ve always just said I could see him being like a Hampus Lindholm in terms of impact, maybe even a bit better if all goes well) And with those three traits you gotta think he can have some seriously elite puck protection skills in a few years.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Are there really any defenseman that have the kind of toolkit that Edvinsson does. Like what defenseman in the NHL has a comparable level of size, skating, and stick handling. I feel like that is a mix of elite traits that isnt necessarily present in the NHL as of now, that’s probably why it is kinda hard to find a good comparison (I’ve always just said I could see him being like a Hampus Lindholm in terms of impact, maybe even a bit better if all goes well) And with those three traits you gotta think he can have some seriously elite puck protection skills in a few years.

Definitely agree, he's a very unique player and that makes it rather difficult to try and project how his game will translate to the NHL. I really have no idea as of right now what to make of him. Some aspects of his game remind me of Rasmus Dahlin, but Edvinsson is not nearly as good and Dahlin hasn't had the kind of impact in the NHL that I thought he would so far, so that further complicates things. Think Edvinsson is a guy you need to watch a ton of footage on to really get a grip on what he is and what kind of role he can have in the NHL in a couple of years.

Reactions: Swedenheim

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I honestly don't see the IQ issues.

In terms of the number of bad/intercepted passes he makes, I think it's more a result of poor passing technique than a lack of smarts. He did have a tendency to panic when under pressure, but I didn't see nearly as much of that in my viewings of his SHL games.

I still don't think he has the offensive game to become a top pairing defensemen, but I think he's a solid bet to become a steady 2nd pairing guy.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015

In terms of the number of bad/intercepted passes he makes, I think it's more a result of poor passing technique than a lack of smarts. He did have a tendency to panic when under pressure, but I didn't see nearly as much of that in my viewings of his SHL games.

I still don't think he has the offensive game to become a top pairing defensemen, but I think he's a solid bet to become a steady 2nd pairing guy.

In my viewings, I would argue many times he is sending the puck where he thinking there will be open ice or catching a teammate in a much later stride, before the play exists. He will need to working on the timing and accuracy, but to me it's actually the epitome of high IQ passing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Hedman.

I'd say safely 2nd pair but more likely a #2D or a #1 that produces less offense than you'd like from a #1. My concern with picking Edvinsson is that I feel like he's going to need 5+ years to get to that level.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I think there's 2 things about his passing that need to be noted.

1. Power and accuracy. He's not sending saucer passes over guys sticks or crisp stretch passes up center ice like Drysdale, Seider, Byram and some other high end defense prospects of the last few years. A lot of times his passes are knucklers that are hard to handle. In the offensive zone that can be the difference between your shooter getting a one timer off or whiffing on the puck when they get it.

2. Pass placement. He tries to send his passes where guys are currently but not where they are going. Edvinsson is great at skating the puck out of trouble in his own zone but he is bad at hitting his man in stride on structured breakouts, often underpassing the puck and creating a turnover or a puck battle as a result. That anticipation, or lack thereof is why I don't think he has great offensive acumen.

That to me ultimately limits his value. If he really cleans up his passing game then I could see him as a complementary top pairing, 21-22 minute a night guy but maybe not THE number 1. If it doesn't improve then maybe he's just a middling 2nd pair guy.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
In my viewings, I would argue many times he is sending the puck where he thinking there will be open ice or catching a teammate in a much later stride, before the play exists. He will need to working on the timing and accuracy, but to me it's actually the epitome of high IQ passing.
I don’t know… I saw games where he thought he was making a good pass but failed to account for defending players in the lane and throwing soft interceptable passes that in fact were intercepted often. To me it looks like brain farts and not seeing the ice well enough under pressure.

Reactions: thefeebster

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Watching him again, I think most of his “bad” transitional passing is partly due to their system or just bad puck support by the fwds. He’ll have his head up looking to make the right plays but he’ll double clutch on half his passes due to an opponents stick in the lane or a tight gap on the guy he’s trying to hit.
I think he’ll only be better with higher end smarter players at the next level that actually support the puck. This kids a stud in my eyes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad