RD Rasmus Andersson (2015, 53rd, CGY)

Bo Jangles

Dec 25, 2014
White Rock, B.C.
I think there are some concerns about his upside. He hasn't really developed that much since he was 16 and is already filled out physically.

What do you think his cap will be? 30-35 points while being fairly responsible defensively? Sort of like a Alex Edler ceiling?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I think there are some concerns about his upside. He hasn't really developed that much since he was 16 and is already filled out physically.

Most kids his age that are something like 6'00 and 210 aren't necessarily filled out, they're most likely a little fluffy. Just saying.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Most kids his age that are something like 6'00 and 210 aren't necessarily filled out, they're most likely a little fluffy. Just saying.

When he was 15-16 I think he was, but I'm not so sure he is now. He's basically kept the same weight for three years. Both his father and his older brother are/were thick too.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Where is everyone?! PPG in the OHL right now, 4th in defencemen points, and yet no talk of him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Liked what I saw of him last year in europa, but haven't seen him much this year except the top prospect game. Hope the Sabres get him in the second.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Not sure why he's so low everywhere. He's producing A LOT.

He has to have some enormous flaws in his game? What is it?

ZeroPT*

I can't really think of many. He's good offensively and he's a brilliant skater. I haven't really noticed him making any big mistakes so i dunno

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Being European. He should be a first rounder imo. He's talented enough and has the numbers to back it up. A flaw in his game I notice is decision making as in sometimes he doesn't properly evaluate risk and reward and can be burned by that on the occasion. Solid prospect thiugh.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For some reason, he's never impressed me when I watched him. Slow decision making, maybe. I can't put my finger on it.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
For some reason, he's never impressed me when I watched him. Slow decision making, maybe. I can't put my finger on it.

From some scouting reports I've read and Colts games I've been to. (I live in Barrie when not in University) Decision making is a concern in both speed and quality. From what I understand his skating is fine, skill is first round calibre, size and strength are good, but he has a lower end hockey IQ.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Haven't seen him this season but there are two things I know does exceptionally well: His breakout pass & his ability to always get his shots through traffic. I'm guessing this is how he's gotten most of his points this year. He could probably work on his mobility although it isn't terrible and he's not as solid defensively as he is offensively.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
From some scouting reports I've read and Colts games I've been to. (I live in Barrie when not in University) Decision making is a concern in both speed and quality. From what I understand his skating is fine, skill is first round calibre, size and strength are good, but he has a lower end hockey IQ.
I agree with this. While he has some really nice tools, his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. I personally have him in the 2nd round and even still I would not want my team drafting him there either.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I can't really think of many. He's good offensively and he's a brilliant skater. I haven't really noticed him making any big mistakes so i dunno

He's definitely not a brilliant skater. That's one of the reasons he's ranked a bit lower.

Basically, there are a few reasons why scouts are a bit iffy on him.

1) Skating and Size. His straight ahead speed is OK, but his agility (backwards and lateral mobility) is only average. Because he's not huge, he can't rely on a long reach to keep forwards in front of him on the rush. He has to keep up with them and that's something that he's had some issues with.

2) Conditioning. I've had several people mention this as a concern to me.

3) Wavering defensive intensity.

4) Decision making on pinches and in holding off the forecheck.

Overall, he's a nice prospect. Once he's out of his zone, he has great vision with the puck and I've been very impressed with his presence on the powerplay. There's certainly offensive potential there. And there is also potential defensively. I've seen both the good and bad in his own end. But with his size and some of his deficiencies, there are enough red flags to keep him as a 50-90 guy IMO.

If you compare him to some of the other undersized OHL defenders available, I'd definitely take Vande Sompel and Travis Dermott ahead of him. And Vince Dunn would be a toss up (better skater).

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for the info, but you make him sound small and I thought he had pretty good size. One scouting report had him at 6'2 210, and HockeyDB lists him at 6' 200. Are these listings generous?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thanks for the info, but you make him sound small and I thought he had pretty good size. One scouting report had him at 6'2 210, and HockeyDB lists him at 6' 200. Are these listings generous?

6'2 definitely is.

He's officially listed at 6'0 by the OHL and NHL Central Scouting.

And he has good size in terms of weight, but 6'0 for a defenseman in today's NHL isn't big. It's average sized. Not much difference between a 5'11 and 6'0 defender, thus why I lump him with the likes of Dermott, Dunn, and Vande Sompel (who is 5'10)

The issue is that he's not huge vertically which doesn't give him a long reach defensively, and his mobility defensively is hindering him slightly. Defenders who hover around that 6'0 mark need to be fantastic skaters in order to be elite defenders because they don't have the advantage of having 4 or so inches of extra reach to keep forwards in front of them. They need to keep up with them and use their body positioning more. His stockiness will help him with that once his feet improve, and once he's putting himself in better position too.

ZeroPT*

6'2 definitely is.

He's officially listed at 6'0 by the OHL and NHL Central Scouting.

And he has good size in terms of weight, but 6'0 for a defenseman in today's NHL isn't big. It's average sized. Not much difference between a 5'11 and 6'0 defender, thus why I lump him with the likes of Dermott, Dunn, and Vande Sompel (who is 5'10)

The issue is that he's not huge vertically which doesn't give him a long reach defensively, and his mobility defensively is hindering him slightly. Defenders who hover around that 6'0 mark need to be fantastic skaters in order to be elite defenders because they don't have the advantage of having 4 or so inches of extra reach to keep forwards in front of them. They need to keep up with them and use their body positioning more. His stockiness will help him with that once his feet improve, and once he's putting himself in better position too.

I really don't agree with this. His skating has always impressed me, especially in the top prospects game "skills competition". He's really fluid

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I really don't agree with this. His skating has always impressed me, especially in the top prospects game "skills competition". He's really fluid

Nah, i disagree. I share the same thoughts as Brock. Andersson is fine at top speed but his acceleration stride is clunky and not overly efficient. I don't think it's a big enough issue to worry about as he can work that out.

My biggest issue with RA is that he goes through lapses in concentration which directly affects his decision making. He sometimes looks mentally disengaged and isn't always engaged in the play....circling the wrong way, taking long routes, etc.

Just not overly efficient.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He has those short strides that don't really get up the ice. Doesn't quite have the frame you want in an 18 year old either.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
His quickness and acceleration were two things that stick out at me as subpar considering he's supposed to be a good skater. His top-end speed is fine but his quickness and agility and acceleration concern me.

I'd say he's a solid 2nd rounder but if he were BPA with my team on the clock, I'd find a way to convince myself he's not BPA.

ZeroPT*

Nah, i disagree. I share the same thoughts as Brock. Andersson is fine at top speed but his acceleration stride is clunky and not overly efficient. I don't think it's a big enough issue to worry about as he can work that out.

My biggest issue with RA is that he goes through lapses in concentration which directly affects his decision making. He sometimes looks mentally disengaged and isn't always engaged in the play....circling the wrong way, taking long routes, etc.

Just not overly efficient.

This I totally agree with. He seems to be like old Tyler Myers with like 3-4 WTF moments a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad