RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers hit a home rum with this guy. Size, skating, passing, scording, plays D and throws his body around..

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Myers finished the season really well and is now killing it in the playoffs. 35 pts in 34 regular season including 10 goals. 7 pts 2 absolute blast goals in the playoffs so far.

https://twitter.com/futureofphilly/status/849340365505212416

https://twitter.com/futureofphilly/status/845691000886579200

Tried to embed them but didnt work for some reason.

Even with Morin, Sanheim and Hagg already on the Phantoms I wouldnt be surprised if Myers makes the Flyers right out of camp. Kid is an absolute stud who plays a really clean well rounded game that I think will allow him to make the jump very soon.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers finished the season really well and is now killing it in the playoffs. 35 pts in 34 regular season including 10 goals. 7 pts 2 absolute blast goals in the playoffs so far.

Even with Morin, Sanheim and Hagg already on the Phantoms I wouldnt be surprised if Myers makes the Flyers right out of camp. Kid is an absolute stud who plays a really clean well rounded game that I think will allow him to make the jump very soon.

Can't believe he was left off of the QMJHL All-Star team..

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can't believe he was left off of the QMJHL All-Star team..

I don't have a big issue with it since he only played 34 games. But when you see Chabot only playing 34 and being named to the 1st team, it makes no sense. Neither should have been named IMO....or name both.

After all, he was T 3rd for PPG for Dmen.

But in the end, who cares....we got a steal for free!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't have a big issue with it since he only played 34 games. But when you see Chabot only playing 34 and being named to the 1st team, it makes no sense. Neither should have been named IMO....or name both.

After all, he was T 3rd for PPG for Dmen.

But in the end, who cares....we got a steal for free!

Didn't the guys who finished 1-2 get named though?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He's not ready for the NHL. He's a very good prospect but he's going to need time.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
He's not ready for the NHL. He's a very good prospect but he's going to need time.

I think he'll start in the AHL but think he is very close to NHL ready. Even Bob Mckenzie said during WJC he thought he was NHL ready or at least very close. Myers size and all around game help with him making the jump.

Last edited:

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs

I agree with you.

It's a huge jump from juniors to the NHL. Hell, it's a decent jump from juniors to the AHL. I'd rather he take the path of Sanheim and get some professional experience before being thrown to the wolves.

I like everything I've seen from Myers, but the NHL ain't a bunch of boys. I'd expect a full year in the AHL, at the least, to be quite honest. If he makes it sooner than that, then so be it, but I'm expecting it to take time before he's truly NHL ready.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With older guys like Hagg, Morin and Sanheim being on the verge of NHL ready, and Ghost, Provy and Gudas already in the roster, there is no need to rush Myers.

But in the same breathe, what if he comes to camp and is better than those 3? It will be a dogfight between those 4 for likely 2 open D spots on the roster. With all 4 being waiver exempt next year, you could see guys moving up and down if need be.

But I have no issue if Myers is in the AHL all year or longer as long as he keeps developing. No need to rush anyone. Make them FORCE their way onto the team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
With older guys like Hagg, Morin and Sanheim being on the verge of NHL ready, and Ghost, Provy and Gudas already in the roster, there is no need to rush Myers.

But in the same breathe, what if he comes to camp and is better than those 3? It will be a dogfight between those 4 for likely 2 open D spots on the roster. With all 4 being waiver exempt next year, you could see guys moving up and down if need be.

But I have no issue if Myers is in the AHL all year or longer as long as he keeps developing. No need to rush anyone. Make them FORCE their way onto the team.

I wouldn't doubt if Myers looks to be NHL ready next year but Flyers still keep him in the AHL all season. Like you said, absolutely no need to rush anyone what so ever.

Still cant believe he was a free agent signing

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't doubt if Myers looks to be NHL ready next year but Flyers still keep him in the AHL all season. Like you said, absolutely no need to rush anyone what so ever.

Still cant believe he was a free agent signing

At last years training camp, he was the best looking young D....better than Provy too. Getting him for free was like getting a free top 20 pick. He certainly has exceeded all expectations but the sky seems to be the limit fir him. He just keeps getting better and better.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
I agree with you.

It's a huge jump from juniors to the NHL. Hell, it's a decent jump from juniors to the AHL. I'd rather he take the path of Sanheim and get some professional experience before being thrown to the wolves.

I like everything I've seen from Myers, but the NHL ain't a bunch of boys. I'd expect a full year in the AHL, at the least, to be quite honest. If he makes it sooner than that, then so be it, but I'm expecting it to take time before he's truly NHL ready.

Sanheim and Myers are both very different prospects at this stage in their development. Both are big skilled dmen but Sanheim had a far rawer and less well rounded game. His defense was poor and his offense was very junior esque in the sense he just skated in circles in the O zone until he could dummy his bad competition. Myers is far better defensively at this stage and plays a much more cleaner pro game.

I think Myers starts in the AHL similar to Ghost 2 years ago and if he tears it up to the point he looks like a top 4 dman already then he gets called up.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Sanheim and Myers are both very different prospects at this stage in their development. Both are big skilled dmen but Sanheim had a far rawer and less well rounded game. His defense was poor and his offense was very junior esque in the sense he just skated in circles in the O zone until he could dummy his bad competition. Myers is far better defensively at this stage and plays a much more cleaner pro game.

I think Myers starts in the AHL similar to Ghost 2 years ago and if he tears it up to the point he looks like a top 4 dman already then he gets called up.

I don't have any particular argument with what you just said, but when I watch Myers, I do not see an NHL ready player. I like Myers, alot, and perhaps I'm wrong and he forces his way onto the roster next year. But I don't see it.

The smart move, particularly with defensemen, is letting them get their feet wet in the AHL. Provorov is the rare bird that can go straight from juniors to the NHL. And as Tripod mentioned above, there's no need to rush it, as it pertains to Myers. We already have 3 Dmen with professional experience who are near NHL ready in Sanheim, Morin & Hagg.

Unless Myers makes it a no-brainer decision in camp and preseason, I don't see Hexy putting him anywhere but on the Phantoms roster, with maybe cups of coffee as the season goes along. We'll see.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
I don't have any particular argument with what you just said, but when I watch Myers, I do not see an NHL ready player. I like Myers, alot, and perhaps I'm wrong and he forces his way onto the roster next year. But I don't see it.

The smart move, particularly with defensemen, is letting them get their feet wet in the AHL. Provorov is the rare bird that can go straight from juniors to the NHL. And as Tripod mentioned above, there's no need to rush it, as it pertains to Myers. We already have 3 Dmen with professional experience who are near NHL ready in Sanheim, Morin & Hagg.

Unless Myers makes it a no-brainer decision in camp and preseason, I don't see Hexy putting him anywhere but on the Phantoms roster, with maybe cups of coffee as the season goes along. We'll see.

Yeah im just really high on Myers and he does have the size and all around type game that will translate well to the NHL but starting in the AHL is likely the right decision. Let's see if he can be great there first and get him used to playing against men. If Myers plays his socks off down there then you call him up.

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Yeah im just really high on Myers and he does have the size and all around type game that will translate well to the NHL but starting in the AHL is likely the right decision. Let's see if he can be great there first and get him used to playing against men. If Myers plays his socks off down there then you call him up.

Yea, I don't want to give the impression that I'm not high on Myers, because I am. I think he has a real chance to be a stud at the next level, for all of the reasons you mentioned earlier. I prefer a cautious approach when it comes to young Dmen, so maybe that's my bias showing through, but I just don't think he's NHL ready yet. But I agree with you, I'm very pleased we have Myers in the system. Love his game, and if he proves me wrong and is ready sooner than I think, then even better.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Problem is that Sanheim has really dispelled any misgivings over his defense in the AHL this year - I think the way he had to play in the WHL meant that he ALWAYS had to push the play as he was Calgary's best offensive player. He came in from day one in the AHL and was good defensively.

I really don't think there is that much difference between them at same age defensively. Myers is no defensive stalwart himself - he is just a bit more physical than Sanheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad