RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Looks like 29 other GM's are going to be wondering how he went undrafted.

How does a 6'3, 200+ pound RHD go undrafted???

It happens. Not everybody shines in their original draft year (Tanner Pearson, Wayne Simmonds, amongst others). Myers had 8 points in 60 games and might have been a bottom pairing D for his squad.

Philadelphia and Calgary had Myers in for their prospect camps. Philadelphia had the foresight to sign him to an ELC rather than let him re-enter the 2016 Draft (the Kings signed Martin Jones under similar circumstances). If Myers had gone back into the pool last year, it sounded like he had a chance to crack the 1st round.

I've heard a few draft stories where teams will have guys rated as 3rd rounders on their own board, but those guys slip through. Columbus tried to move back into the 2015 Draft to draft a local kid Kole Sherwood, but couldn't find anybody willing to trade. They invited him to their prospect camp and liked him enough to offer him a contract.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Looks like 29 other GM's are going to be wondering how he went undrafted.

How does a 6'3, 200+ pound RHD go undrafted???

He plays for a small market Q team who went out in the first round of the playoffs and put up 8 points in his draft year, it's really not that hard to see how it happened.

Of course good for Myers and good for the Flyers in signing him once they saw his talent. But this should be a lesson that the media and even scouting coverage of these remote small market teams is still lacking today. It's hilarious to me every time one of these media members exclaim this and probably still only know a handful of things about Rouyn-Noranda.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He plays for a small market Q team who went out in the first round of the playoffs and put up 8 points in his draft year, it's really not that hard to see how it happened.

Of course good for Myers and good for the Flyers in signing him once they saw his talent. But this should be a lesson that the media and even scouting coverage of these remote small market teams is still lacking today. It's hilarious to me every time one of these media members exclaim this and probably still only know a handful of things about Rouyn-Noranda.

As some of us have been saying on the Flyers board, it's been an absolute pleasure watching RN the last few years -- so much so that I will probably continue to watch a decent amount of their games next year. If you like disciplined, aggressive hockey, check out some RN games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As some of us have been saying on the Flyers board, it's been an absolute pleasure watching RN the last few years -- so much so that I will probably continue to watch a decent amount of their games next year. If you like disciplined, aggressive hockey, check out some RN games.

Absolutely, 100%. They are by far my favorite junior hockey team to watch. What an excellent development system. Suddenly one day there will be about 10 players from their championship team in the NHL and the media won't be able to figure out how that happened. Any NHL team should be lucky to have a prospect from Rouyn-Noranda.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When a player like Myers goes undrafted ... Correct me if I am wrong his draft year was 2015. Same age, same birth month as Chabot.

What are the rules about inviting them to camp and signing them? In Myers case he did not reenter the draft the next year as several do, he was invited to the Flyers camp and signed. Are all undrafted players immediately Free Agents?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When a player like Myers goes undrafted ... Correct me if I am wrong his draft year was 2015. Same age, same birth month as Chabot.

What are the rules about inviting them to camp and signing them? In Myers case he did not reenter the draft the next year as several do, he was invited to the Flyers camp and signed. Are all undrafted players immediately Free Agents?

If they are from the CHL they can be signed if undrafted until their league starts again... once that happens they cannot be signed, and the next opportunity to get them would be the draft the year after.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Myers attended summer prospect camps for Calgary and Philadelphia. Typically teams will invite dozens of undrafted guys to fill out the rosters.

For North American prospects, there's a summertime window to sign an undrafted player who has remaining draft eligibility. The window closes around the time that the junior seasons kick off.

Maybe a couple guys every year will earn ELCs this way. Martin Jones, Michael Sgarbossa, Kole Sherwood are a few names off the top of my head. Usually undrafted guys won't get offered contracts and will reenter the following draft (Nathan Noel is somebody who went undrafted in 2015, attended Anaheim's camp, but went unsigned then was drafted in 2016).

European players can't be signed like this as per the CBA. The Kings had Radko Gudas in their prospect camp in 2009 and would have signed him if it was allowed. The Flyers and Oilers tried to sign Tomas Hyka and Vladimir Tkachev like this, but the NHL rejected the deals.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If they are from the CHL they can be signed if undrafted until their league starts again... once that happens they cannot be signed, and the next opportunity to get them would be the draft the year after.

Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember the details, but didn't the Flyers fail at signing a guy because of this one time a few years ago? They thought they signed him but he was ineligible to be signed? I think he was a European out of the Q.

Probably played a hand in ensuring they signed Myers.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't remember the details, but didn't the Flyers fail at signing a guy because of this one time a few years ago? They thought they signed him but he was ineligible to be signed? I think he was a European out of the Q.

Probably played a hand in ensuring they signed Myers.

Yeh.

Tomáš Hyka in 2011.

He was going to the CHL the next year, but had not played the year before. Flyers thought he was eligible to be signed but he was not.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
For those that have seen him play, who does he compare to? From what I hear he's big and skates like the wind. To me that brings up Brayden Coburn. Similar? Disparities? I wasnt going to go looking through the entire thread. Was also looking for RECENT observations, before his injury in WJC's.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
For those that have seen him play, who does he compare to? From what I hear he's big and skates like the wind. To me that brings up Brayden Coburn. Similar? Disparities? I wasnt going to go looking through the entire thread. Was also looking for RECENT observations, before his injury in WJC's.

Quick thinking I'd say Tyler Myers. Tall guy who can skate and plays with confidence with the puck. Could be more agressive for a player his size.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Quick thinking I'd say Tyler Myers. Tall guy who can skate and plays with confidence with the puck. Could be more agressive for a player his size.

Phil is much more mobile than Tyler. He really reminds me stylistically of Alex Pietrangelo - big rangy mobile dynamic offensive player. Not sure if he will be THAT good, but he can really motor.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's going to sound silly, but he reminds me of Shayne Gostisbehere......if he were 6 inches taller and could bully people around more because of it. Comes with the drawback of not having being quite as agile, but everything else about their games is quite similar. I say this as a Flyers fan who watches a ton of both. I can definitely see some Tyler Myers and it makes sense to compare him to other agile big men, but size aside, I see what I see. The balls to the wall aggressiveness in all 3 zones, tight gaps, entry machine, shoot first mentality with a bomb of a shot, love to rush it up or join the rush, similar skating stride, crazy high confidence to try things most guys wouldn't and often too. You'd think in a short tournament for Team Canada it would be reigned in, but credit to Ducharme, he just let him play his game. And it still worked.

It's really the aggressiveness and the confidence that stand out. There are guys who are comparable in terms of size and skill, but he just has a mentality that not many have, and it's about more than just points. He won't cheat and he'll do his job in his own end and is a good defender, but as soon as the play is going the other way, it is all systems go all the time. It's eye roll worthy at times or worth a laugh watching him do some of the stuff he does. But he's just so spot on with his risk taking, and it rarely feels stupid. Who else has that mentality? Maybe a more controlled (because no one can match that) Brent Burns? He's still raw and needs to put on weight and his playing style could go multiple ways as he moves up levels though. Myers is an oddity, that's for sure.

Jul 6, 2016
It's going to sound silly, but he reminds me of Shayne Gostisbehere......if he were 6 inches taller and could bully people around more because of it. Comes with the drawback of not having being quite as agile, but everything else about their games is quite similar. I say this as a Flyers fan who watches a ton of both. I can definitely see some Tyler Myers and it makes sense to compare him to other agile big men, but size aside, I see what I see. The balls to the wall aggressiveness in all 3 zones, tight gaps, entry machine, shoot first mentality with a bomb of a shot, love to rush it up or join the rush, similar skating stride, crazy high confidence to try things most guys wouldn't and often too. You'd think in a short tournament for Team Canada it would be reigned in, but credit to Ducharme, he just let him play his game. And it still worked.

It's really the aggressiveness and the confidence that stand out. There are guys who are comparable in terms of size and skill, but he just has a mentality that not many have, and it's about more than just points. He won't cheat and he'll do his job in his own end and is a good defender, but as soon as the play is going the other way, it is all systems go all the time. It's eye roll worthy at times or worth a laugh watching him do some of the stuff he does. But he's just so spot on with his risk taking, and it rarely feels stupid. Who else has that mentality? Maybe a more controlled (because no one can match that) Brent Burns? He's still raw and needs to put on weight and his playing style could go multiple ways as he moves up levels though. Myers is an oddity, that's for sure.

Myers proves that most kids should be drafted at 19 and not at 18, only if you are exceptional, really exceptional like a Crosby, McDavid or Matthews.

Some folk in Philly did his homework and invited the kid to a pro camp, and signed him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Myers proves that most kids should be drafted at 19 and not at 18, only if you are exceptional, really exceptional like a Crosby, McDavid or Matthews.

Some folk in Philly did his homework and invited the kid to a pro camp, and signed him.

He was invited by a couple teams, and actually attended more than just Flyers camp. They pulled the trigger on signing him first.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Who is in charge of Philly's D scouting? This individual clearly knows something the rest do not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad