RD Philippe Myers (2015 undrafted; 2015 signed, PHI)

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009
For those that have seen him play, who does he compare to? From what I hear he's big and skates like the wind. To me that brings up Brayden Coburn. Similar? Disparities? I wasnt going to go looking through the entire thread. Was also looking for RECENT observations, before his injury in WJC's.

Seth Jones. Big right handed two way d-man, great skater and they both are at their best when they rush the puck

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Adding Myers in the summer of 2015.....all while drafting the following that summer too:

Provy
Konecny
Sandstrom
Tomek
Kase
Vorobyov
etc....

Good work scouts.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How the hell was this guy not drafted?

Because he was not very good his draft year. RN fans said he showed up to camp a completely different guy.

And obviously he did not impress Calgary at their rookie camp as they let him go to the Flyers rookie camp. There, he impressed enough to get an invite to the main camp and was signed.

We got lucky.

All it shows, is that not all kids are ready on draft day. That is 1 moment in time trying to project the next 10-15 years. It's why a draft could look totally different just months later. Or a year later.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Any word on how he's doing? Looked like a nasty concussion with how wobbly he was after the hit, but concussions can be hard to judge. Assuming he's out at least the rest of the tourney?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Small market Q teams are still underscouted

Lauzon and Beaudin both did go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2015 draft. It's not like he wasn't on the Flyers radar either. Or Calgary's. And all 30 teams still probably watched Rouyn games no doubt, even if not with the attention of some other teams. But being on a tougher to scout team with a stat line like he had -- 10 points in 66 games (regular season+playoffs) his draft year and 7 points in 55 games the year before that -- it doesn't help when trying to get attention. He's a January birthday too, so he's not young for his age group. Stuff like that does not give a lot of confidence in terms of projecting an NHL future and any player growth. But even so, the profile is 6'5" and can at least skate. GMs hear that profile and take a lottery ticket out on those players all the time in the mid-late rounds.

Good little bit in the recent 30 Thoughts about it: "The GM [Hextall] said something along the lines of, 'Instead of patting ourselves on the back, we wonder why we didn’t draft him in the first place.'" They did scout him and invite him to camp and sign him, and even they don't know how they were so out to lunch on draft day.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Because he was not very good his draft year. RN fans said he showed up to camp a completely different guy.

And obviously he did not impress Calgary at their rookie camp as they let him go to the Flyers rookie camp. There, he impressed enough to get an invite to the main camp and was signed.

We got lucky.

All it shows, is that not all kids are ready on draft day. That is 1 moment in time trying to project the next 10-15 years. It's why a draft could look totally different just months later. Or a year later.

Great post.

It's a great example of how development isn't linear and players still develop after their initial draft eligibility passes, whether it's one year, three years or more. Development happens differently for different players.

A later draft would definitly change how players develop. I'm not sure I'm fully on board with the idea but it's interesting nonetheless

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I have lost all my scouting belief when I realize a guy like him playing the Q (not a junior B or so league) with his size and skating goes undrafted... Better fire all the scouts and go with monkey instead.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Surprised there's basically no discussion about his health. Head hit the boards pretty hard after this hit from Kunin:

You don't see it in the video, but he was very shaken up after, took quite awhile to get up and was clearly very unsteady and dizzy. It's confirmed he was concussed, hasn't played since (the rest of that game, and the next game against the Czechs). Assume he's out against Sweden today, and out for the foreseeable future too?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Can someone explain why he was signed as opposed to having to re-enter the draft?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can someone explain why he was signed as opposed to having to re-enter the draft?

There a couple explanations on the previous page, but in a nutshell:

There's a summer time window to sign North American trained players who went undrafted but have remaining draft eligibility. Window closes around the time when the player has to return to their junior teams.

The most notable guy to go this route might be Martin Jones who went undrafted in 2008 but impressed at Kings prospect camp and was signed to a deal. Michael Sgarbossa went undrafted in 2010, earned a deal with the Sharks a few months later, and won the OHL scoring title in 2012. If I recall correctly, the Sharks signed a few guys like this (J.P Anderson was another one) back when they had used a lot of draft picks in deadline deals.

Teams have to deal with contract limits, so they do have to be judicious with who they sign. A guy like Nathan Noel went undrafted in 2015 and attended Anaheim's prospect camp but wasn't extended a contract offer. Noel then got drafted by Chicago in 2016.

I've heard/read stories about how teams typically will have a handful of guys in their top 100 go undrafted. I sat through the entire 2011 Draft and after the last pick was made, I saw several guys from different draft tables dash into the crowd to talk to presumably undrafted prospects and maybe invite them to camp.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Surprised there's basically no discussion about his health. Head hit the boards pretty hard after this hit from Kunin:

You don't see it in the video, but he was very shaken up after, took quite awhile to get up and was clearly very unsteady and dizzy. It's confirmed he was concussed, hasn't played since (the rest of that game, and the next game against the Czechs). Assume he's out against Sweden today, and out for the foreseeable future too?

Current weather conditions around the Philadelphia area are probably caused by Flyers fans holding their breath. Two concussions in a few months is not a good thing. As much as I enjoyed watching Myers play in this tournament, I don't want to see him on the ice for a good long time until he is 100% over any symptoms.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
There a couple explanations on the previous page, but in a nutshell:

There's a summer time window to sign North American trained players who went undrafted but have remaining draft eligibility. Window closes around the time when the player has to return to their junior teams.

The most notable guy to go this route might be Martin Jones who went undrafted in 2008 but impressed at Kings prospect camp and was signed to a deal. Michael Sgarbossa went undrafted in 2010, earned a deal with the Sharks a few months later, and won the OHL scoring title in 2012. If I recall correctly, the Sharks signed a few guys like this (J.P Anderson was another one) back when they had used a lot of draft picks in deadline deals.

Teams have to deal with contract limits, so they do have to be judicious with who they sign. A guy like Nathan Noel went undrafted in 2015 and attended Anaheim's prospect camp but wasn't extended a contract offer. Noel then got drafted by Chicago in 2016.

I've heard/read stories about how teams typically will have a handful of guys in their top 100 go undrafted. I sat through the entire 2011 Draft and after the last pick was made, I saw several guys from different draft tables dash into the crowd to talk to presumably undrafted prospects and maybe invite them to camp.

Thanks for the great response, much appreciated.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lauzon and Beaudin both did go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the 2015 draft. It's not like he wasn't on the Flyers radar either. Or Calgary's. And all 30 teams still probably watched Rouyn games no doubt, even if not with the attention of some other teams. But being on a tougher to scout team with a stat line like he had -- 10 points in 66 games (regular season+playoffs) his draft year and 7 points in 55 games the year before that -- it doesn't help when trying to get attention. He's a January birthday too, so he's not young for his age group. Stuff like that does not give a lot of confidence in terms of projecting an NHL future and any player growth. But even so, the profile is 6'5" and can at least skate. GMs hear that profile and take a lottery ticket out on those players all the time in the mid-late rounds.

Good little bit in the recent 30 Thoughts about it: "The GM [Hextall] said something along the lines of, 'Instead of patting ourselves on the back, we wonder why we didn’t draft him in the first place.'" They did scout him and invite him to camp and sign him, and even they don't know how they were so out to lunch on draft day.

Beaudin was drafted by the Avs with more than a few connections to RN. Scouts have admitted they don't go up to see small market teams especially if there's no big names. I'm sure they see them the several times they roll into Blainville to play each year. Perron and Nantel weren't supposed to fall to the late 7th. Fortin was another undrafted signing.

I read he's feeling better and expects to play for RN when Lauzon and Dzierkals are ready (sounds like all will be given weekend off).

wanger16

Jun 16, 2006
Any news on when he may make a return? I see RN is playing Chicoutimi tonight and both Flyers prospects are out...could have been a great matchup...

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Any news on when he may make a return? I see RN is playing Chicoutimi tonight and both Flyers prospects are out...could have been a great matchup...

He's tentatively due back this Thursday, according to reports. It'll be 5.5 weeks since his concussion.

wanger16

Jun 16, 2006
He's tentatively due back this Thursday, according to reports. It'll be 5.5 weeks since his concussion.

Thanks again Magua. Good to hear. Better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully he has been symptom free for a while now. That was a pretty good lick he took for his second conky of the year..

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
Damn still out from that concussion. Definitely better safe than sorry but that seems to indicate a serious concussion unless the team has guidelines in place for a mandatory minimum break after 2nd or 3rd concussion.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
From what I've monitored Myers should play next game. He was indeed due to come back this thursday but they decided to sit him an extra game. Can't wait to see him back on this ice, whatever his production will be right off the bat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad