RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nice hit. Do that in the NHL they'd call interference lol.

But yeah that was good.
Kreider does that all the time. They typically aren't calling it if you get to the puck first. It's when you do that before you reach the puck where they start blowing the whistle.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
What?

Live still goes on, we played the hide in our basements card for 4 months already. Get tested, stay safe, and don’t be dumb and go into high populated areas without a mask.

Why the hell would they not go through with it? No point in canceling something when most players play 3 games per week anyway.

Under normal circumstances, I hate the breaks in the schedule for these pointless friendly tournaments that I simply don’t care about, but at least I can somewhat sympathize with some of the guys that are getting a rare opportunity to play for the national team, or that have legitimate hopes of playing in the World Championships if they perform well in these BS exhibition games.

However, current circumstances are not normal, and I’m disappointed they didn’t call this off. I don’t see the point of wasting resources and potentially endangering the health of players to go ahead with this particular tournament which is of no value, as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: klingsor and Franck

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Under normal circumstances, I hate the breaks in the schedule for these pointless friendly tournaments that I simply don’t care about, but at least I can somewhat sympathize with some of the guys that are getting a rare opportunity to play for the national team, or that have legitimate hopes of playing in the World Championships if they perform well in these BS exhibition games.

However, current circumstances are not normal, and I’m disappointed they didn’t call this off. I don’t see the point of wasting resources and potentially endangering the health of players to go ahead with this particular tournament which is of no value, as far as I’m concerned.
Of no value to you. Much like the NHL all-star break is just a vacation for 500 other guys EHT tournaments are also just a short break to reset, meet up with your family (especially for the imports who mostly live alone), etc. Players are actually the ones that need it the most.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I wouldn't cry if these games were cancelled either, but I doubt it's much riskier than the games that are already going on in europe. Frequent testing should eliminate most of the risk.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Of no value to you. Much like the NHL all-star break is just a vacation for 500 other guys EHT tournaments are also just a short break to reset, meet up with your family (especially for the imports who mostly live alone), etc. Players are actually the ones that need it the most.

Yes, of no value to me. Give the players a break then, fine, but I’m worried about them catching corona and missing games for weeks because of a meaningless friendly tournament. Maybe there’s little risk, but I don’t see the point in taking it.

Reactions: Franck

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, of no value to me. Give the players a break then, fine, but I’m worried about them catching corona and missing games for weeks because of a meaningless friendly tournament. Maybe there’s little risk, but I don’t see the point in taking it.
They can go out buy groceries and get corona just the same. The increase of risk is marginal, EHT or no EHT. Furthermore, sports leagues that are going for a while have shown outbreaks are pretty much impossible to avoid, the question is not "if" but rather "when". So there is hardly a difference if the outbreak was caused by "meaningless" or "meaningful" games.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I wouldn't cry if these games were cancelled either, but I doubt it's much riskier than the games that are already going on in europe. Frequent testing should eliminate most of the risk.

Sure, but it’s probably risk added, rather than reduced, I’d think.

Look, I have egotistical reasons for being against this tournament taking place, and I don’t know how much actual risk there is to it: but I’m disappointed that it’s happening.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
They can go out buy groceries and get corona just the same. The increase of risk is marginal, EHT or no EHT. Furthermore, sports leagues that are going for a while have shown outbreaks are pretty much impossible to avoid, the question is not "if" but rather "when". So there is hardly a difference if the outbreak was caused by "meaningless" or "meaningful" games.

I hope he stays safe and well, but I’d rather Lundkvist catches the virus buying groceries, having a beer with his friends or at his job playing SHL games with Luleå, as opposed to while playing a meaningless friendly against, say, a Czech team that might ice the likes of Radek Muzik (Luleå’s 14th forward on the depth chart) since Czech league players are barred from entering the tournament. Don’t see the point at all, and that’s how I feel.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lundkvist looks pretty NHL ready, but the Rangers are one of the few teams with a glut of RDs - Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist. Will be interesting to see how they handle it, a trade wouldn’t surprise me, especially since RDs have really good trade value.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lundkvist looks pretty NHL ready, but the Rangers are one of the few teams with a glut of RDs - Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist. Will be interesting to see how they handle it, a trade wouldn’t surprise me, especially since RDs have really good trade value.

Moving one of the right shots, most likely DeAngelo, to the left could also be the solution.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Moving one of the right shots, most likely DeAngelo, to the left could also be the solution.
Very true. Although, RHDs are probably the most “in short supply” position in the league - the vast majority of teams have only 1-2 legit NHL RHDs, and really want a 3rd. So it would arguably be a bit of a waste to play a quality NHL RHD of the left side, vs. exploring the trade market and likely getting a very good return. Sometimes the value you can get for a young, top 4 RHD is insane, for example Hall for Larsson.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Disagree that he’s NHL ready.. give him a year in AHL minimum.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very true. Although, RHDs are probably the most “in short supply” position in the league - the vast majority of teams have only 1-2 legit NHL RHDs, and really want a 3rd. So it would arguably be a bit of a waste to play a quality NHL RHD of the left side, vs. exploring the trade market and likely getting a very good return. Sometimes the value you can get for a young, top 4 RHD is insane, for example Hall for Larsson.

I think that's the calculation. If you can get someone back at LHD or center that is comparable, you trade one of them. If you can't, the best solution is to keep what you have, and use one of them on the left side.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I disagree, having watched all but two games this season. He’s had better offensive output, he’s got a real good shot, but he makes me nervous in his own end and has got superior support paired up with Gustafsson rather than Sondell.

Comparable play driving so far FWIW:
Berglund 53% CF; rel CF +1.3; game score per game 1.00
Lundqvist 55% CF; rel CF +5; game score per game 0.67

Also the "superior partner" Gustafsson has been a liability with a 49% CF and -4.7 rel CF while in contrast Sondell is 55.42% CF and +4.9 rel CF.

It could be argued Berglund is doing well in spite of Gustafson, not because of him, while Lundqvist has the superior partner it appears.

Lundqvist has more ice time but Berglund more primary assists (5 to 2) and SOG (30 to 22).

Just some interesting thoughts.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Also the "superior partner" Gustafsson has been a liability with a 49% CF and -4.7 rel CF while in contrast Sondell is 55.42% CF and +4.9 rel CF.

It could be argued Berglund is doing well in spite of Gustafson, not because of him, while Lundqvist has the superior partner it appears.

Lundqvist has more ice time but Berglund more primary assists (5 to 2) and SOG (30 to 22).

It's relevant info, but does it really prove much? If Berglund is a defensive liability and more of an offensive guy, why wouldn't we expect him to have very good fancy stats? A lot of offensive guys who can't defend have great advanced stats. And we hear all about how that makes them good defensively, but then when you watch their defense, you see they cannot defend.

Lundkvist is considered more of a puck-moving two way guy. It's possible Berglund's a more effective offensive player. I don't think many would suggest Berglund is a better prospect because he's been a little better offensively so far this season. Lundkvist has a lengthy track record, and is very highly rated by most everyone.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

It’s certainly interesting, but I’d argue that it appears so from stat watching, and not accounting for utilization, whereas Gustafsson is the man if you’re actually watching games.

Berglund gets sheltered, he has effectively been playing 8+ and 4+ minutes less than Gustafsson and Lundkvist respectively, for good reasons. Gustafsson is our #1 shutdown and 1# transition defenseman. Berglund is good with the puck and valuable in offensive situations, and — as was the case with Lundkvist last year — paired up with the very reliable Gustafsson, Berglund receives more freedom to go out on offensive missions. Berglund is weak in front of his netminder and I feel he tends to watch the puck too much, making him a liability in his own zone, in my opinion.

Lundkvist has improved his defensive awareness immensely and is better at transitions than Sondell, while Sondell is very good at getting in passing lanes and blocking shots. However, Sondell has a tendency to make stupid stick infractions, fumble pucks at the blue line, and misread situations resulting in breakaways, making Gustafsson-Berglund perhaps a slightly better ES pairing.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It's relevant info, but does it really prove much? If Berglund is a defensive liability and more of an offensive guy, why wouldn't we expect him to have very good fancy stats? A lot of offensive guys who can't defend have great advanced stats. And we hear all about how that makes them good defensively, but then when you watch their defense, you see they cannot defend.

Lundkvist is considered more of a puck-moving two way guy. It's possible Berglund's a more effective offensive player. I don't think many would suggest Berglund is a better prospect because he's been a little better offensively so far this season. Lundkvist has a lengthy track record, and is very highly rated by most everyone.

But if they're not in their defensive zone much and keep the puck in the O-zone, can't that described as effective defense? "The best defense is a good offense" type of thing.

Anywho, I was trying to scour for some sleepers in the SHL and Berglund popped to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad