RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
It’s certainly interesting, but I’d argue that it appears so from stat watching, and not accounting for utilization, whereas Gustafsson is the man if you’re actually watching games.

Berglund gets sheltered, he has effectively been playing 8+ and 4+ minutes less than Gustafsson and Lundkvist respectively, for good reasons. Gustafsson is our #1 shutdown and 1# transition defenseman. Berglund is good with the puck and valuable in offensive situations, and — as was the case with Lundkvist last year — paired up with the very reliable Gustafsson, Berglund receives more freedom to go out on offensive missions. Berglund is weak in front of his netminder and I feel he tends to watch the puck too much, making him a liability in his own zone, in my opinion.

Lundkvist has improved his defensive awareness immensely and is better at transitions than Sondell, while Sondell is very good at getting in passing lanes and blocking shots. However, Sondell has a tendency to make stupid stick infractions, fumble pucks at the blue line, and misread situations resulting in breakaways, making Gustafsson-Berglund perhaps a slightly better ES pairing.

Thanks for your input! Hard to watch SHL here in the states so I always appreciate the first hand info.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
But if they're not in their defensive zone much and keep the puck in the O-zone, can't that described as effective defense? "The best defense is a good offense" type of thing.

Anywho, I was trying to scour for some sleepers in the SHL and Berglund popped to me.
Thanks for your input! Hard to watch SHL here in the states so I always appreciate the first hand info.

Hey, I’m very excited for Berglund joining and performing so well, I couldn’t have dreamed of a better return after Sellgren left the team, and Bruins fans should also be feeling excited about their 21 year old 7th round pick putting up those kinds of numbers as a defenseman in the SHL.

Kid is young, has great tools and a tremendous opportunity to further his development while playing with Gustafsson this year.

However, at this point, regardless of his numbers, I don’t think he’s better than Lundkvist.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
13 points in 22 games for the Rangers best prospect (not counting Lafreniere and Shestyorkin).

Another pick I didn't like, but he's a good player.

I would've considered this much less of an issue if we didn't trade away a second round pick for Miller who I think is a way bigger reach than Lundkvist. Lundkvist is also a player I consider to be a reach.
Good times.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Habs fan here that can't wait to see Lundkvist's debuts in the NHL (I know, it won't be this season). Absolutely love his game!

It actually could. The NHL season is going to extend into July, and he should be signed by then. I think he would’ve been in the Rangers opening game lineup if he was signed for this season. I don’t think it’ll be long after signing that he debuts.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
It actually could. The NHL season is going to extend into July, and he should be signed by then. I think he would’ve been in the Rangers opening game lineup if he was signed for this season. I don’t think it’ll be long after signing that he debuts.

I’m not sure you’re wrong, since I’m not sure I know how these deals work, but while several other players were announced to only stay in Sweden on loan until the NHL season starts, Nils Lundkvist announced that he was going to spend the entirety of the season with Luleå.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not sure you’re wrong, since I’m not sure I know how these deals work, but while several other players were announced to only stay in Sweden on loan until the NHL season starts, Nils Lundkvist announced that he was going to spend the entirety of the season with Luleå.

My thinking was that the SHL season is over the last week of April or first week of May. Lulea's season might extend that long, but even if it does, Lundkvist is eligible to sign and probably does sign right around when the NHL regular season ends. That could be a little before or a little after. If Lulea goes out early in the playoffs, that'll be even better for the Rangers.

I also think the Rangers have a realistic chance at the playoffs. I know some will disagree and it's a hard division, but I'm thinking it's realistic to make the playoffs. I don't think he necessarily goes straight into the lineup if he signs during the playoffs, but the Rangers really don't have much defensive depth. To begin with, we only have 3 RHD anywhere near the NHL roster. If for some reason one of them is unavailable, Lundkvist is unquestionably the next best option. And after that, I'm still not convinced the Rangers will have 3 LHD good enough to keep the top 4 RHD, counting Lundkvist, out of the lineup. I don't think that's going to change between now and May.

This is all hypothetical, but I think we could see him play in the NHL this season. It's not a guarantee, but I would not be surprised.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
My thinking was that the SHL season is over the last week of April or first week of May. Lulea's season might extend that long, but even if it does, Lundkvist is eligible to sign and probably does sign right around when the NHL regular season ends. That could be a little before or a little after. If Lulea goes out early in the playoffs, that'll be even better for the Rangers.

I also think the Rangers have a realistic chance at the playoffs. I know some will disagree and it's a hard division, but I'm thinking it's realistic to make the playoffs. I don't think he necessarily goes straight into the lineup if he signs during the playoffs, but the Rangers really don't have much defensive depth. To begin with, we only have 3 RHD anywhere near the NHL roster. If for some reason one of them is unavailable, Lundkvist is unquestionably the next best option. And after that, I'm still not convinced the Rangers will have 3 LHD good enough to keep the top 4 RHD, counting Lundkvist, out of the lineup. I don't think that's going to change between now and May.

This is all hypothetical, but I think we could see him play in the NHL this season. It's not a guarantee, but I would not be surprised.

Ah, I see: yes, that’s possible. Lundkvist’s former teammate Jesper Sellgren joined Charlotte Checkers’ Calder Cup run following Luleå’s elimination in the 2019 playoffs, so I can see Lundkvist doing the same thing.

But I hope he’ll leave as a Swedish champion :)

DutchSenators

Dec 23, 2020
I am following Lulea quite intensively and since I just posted about Berglund's (Boston prospect) impressive statistics so far, I thought I could share the same information here. Lundkvist also has been great and is arguably the best D on Lulea right now (Gustafsson is playing more minutes and I think their impact is quite similar):

upload_2021-1-15_14-50-15.png

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
I am following Lulea quite intensively and since I just posted about Berglund's (Boston prospect) impressive statistics so far, I thought I could share the same information here. Lundkvist also has been great and is arguably the best D on Lulea right now (Gustafsson is playing more minutes and I think their impact is quite similar):

View attachment 384521
His shot generation is so impressive.

Reactions: DutchSenators

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

For a player in a European league to sign an NHL contract after August 15th (the deadline under the transfer agreement) he has to be released by the team if he wants to sign before the season ends.

In Lundkvist's case he would need to be released by the national team as well as he is contracted to them as well. The NT plays usually until June (EHC, EHT, WC) so worst case scenario, Lundkvist can sign late June/early July if he isn't released before then.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lulea fans, do you expect a long playoff run? When might Lundkvist become available to join the Rangers? We suddenly have an opening for him that he will likely step right into once he signs.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Lulea fans, do you expect a long playoff run? When might Lundkvist become available to join the Rangers? We suddenly have an opening for him that he will likely step right into once he signs.
Luleå is a known playoff chooooooker, so you should expect him to come early. Problem is that Luleå-fans are in denying when it comes to choking, so they would give you another answer.

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
Luleå is a known playoff chooooooker, so you should expect him to come early. Problem is that Luleå-fans are in denying when it comes to choking, so they would give you another answer.
This season, not many Luleå-fans think they will go all the way in the playoffs. They see last season that was canceled as the big chance to win. Just go to any Luleå forum and you will see it.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

The way the team’s been playing lately, I’m not as optimistic as I was before. Behind Lundkvist and Gustafsson, defense is inconsistent and shoddy, and we’re looking painfully blunt offensively having scored nine goals in the last six games; four of which came in a single game.

Plenty of time to turn things around, and on paper we have a team similar to the one that finished first by a large margin last year.

But do I expect a deep playoff run? I expect Luleå to finish high enough in the standings to skip the qualifying round, and I think they should at least be expected to make it past the quarterfinals (Edit: Provided they don’t drop in the standings and finish similar to expectations). Beyond that, anything is possible, but we haven’t been looking much like a finalist lately. Expect him to be available in mid-to-late April, I guess.

I don’t think we’re in denial, we hardly ever miss the playoffs and we’ve never been relegated, and despite having had a few top teams over the years, we only have one championship to show for it. What’s your team?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
The way the team’s been playing lately, I’m not as optimistic as I was before. Behind Lundkvist and Gustafsson, defense is inconsistent and shoddy, and we’re looking painfully blunt offensively having scored nine goals in the last six games; four of which came in a single game.

Plenty of time to turn things around, and on paper we have a team similar to the one that finished first by a large margin last year.

But do I expect a deep playoff run? I expect Luleå to finish high enough in the standings to skip the qualifying round, and I think they should at least be expected to make it past the quarterfinals (Edit: Provided they don’t drop in the standings and finish similar to expectations). Beyond that, anything is possible, but we haven’t been looking much like a finalist lately. Expect him to be available in mid-to-late April, I guess.

I don’t think we’re in denial, we hardly ever miss the playoffs and we’ve never been relegated, and despite having had a few top teams over the years, we only have one championship to show for it. What’s your team?

I was born and raised outside of Göteborg, so guess :P
I still call them Västra Frölunda because that indian thing has been stupid since it started back in the 90´s and I´m glad it will change.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad