Wolanin-Zaitsev
Boro-Hainsey
Lajoie/Jaros/Englund

3rd pairing has to go into tank commander mode

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I can’t think of one reason to dislike Zaitsev.

He got rid of Ceci, gets paid less than his cap hit, was our first Russian in a bazillion years, plays pretty good hockey, is movable through the line up and keeps his drama to himself.

He injured himself blocking multiple shots and our D has been a Chabot show ever since. The guy competes and clearly we’re better with him than without.

Thanks Nikita! Happy you’re back!
The Sens with Zaitsev are 13-17-2 or about a 72 point pace.

Sens without Nikita Zaitsev 3-2-3 or about a 92 point pace.

Welcome back, Tank commander.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wolanin and DeMelo coming back is scary

Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Boro-Hainsey
Lajoie/Jaros/Englund

I like Demelo but he is probably more valuable traded #tank.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wolanin and DeMelo coming back is scary

Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Boro-Hainsey
Lajoie/Jaros/Englund

Yes, I agree.

Wolanin will take some time to get into game shape and prove he is an NHL level Defensemen, which I think he will be. DeMelo will be a good addition, but he is not first or second pair level, so he will not be a major factor. Hainsey is slow and on his last legs, probably will retire in the next year or so.

But the adds will likely improve the defense and not aid the tank.

If the GM was aiming to tank, trading some of the pending UFAs now would make sense to get a higher draft pick and improve the probability of getting a top 3 pick. That is what I would do.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Please, for the love of God, let this be the end of Player 29 on the active roster. Dude is softer than church music, and gift wraps at least one goal a night for the opposition...

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like Demelo on the top pair. He allow Chabot to be Chabot.

I was hoping to see a Chabot - Karlsson top pair to totally dominate opponents with a 5 man attack. Alas.

Having two highly offensive defensemen would create a nightmare for opposing teams to defend against if the forwards were very good offensively. At that time, they would have been Duchene, Stone and Dzingle.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I was hoping to see a Chabot - Karlsson top pair to totally dominate opponents with a 5 man attack. Alas.

Having two highly offensive defensemen would create a nightmare for opposing teams to defend against if the forwards were very good offensively. At that time, they would have been Duchene, Stone and Dzingle.

You are basically describing the San Jose Sharks with Karlsson and Burns, how is that working out for them this year?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Better win the face off with those two on the ice together.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And we are probably stuck with this guy for a few more seasons, I'd don't see him as tradable anytime soon with that contract.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
From the Athletic's worst NHL contract list:

SmartSelect_20201104-113857_One UI Home.jpg

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
From the Athletic's worst NHL contract list:

View attachment 375341

Really though? If he is overpaid, it is probably by 1 million per year max.

He really has not been that bad in his time here. He has not been "great", but he barely makes mistakes, he holds his own on the ice, most of the time he is barely noticeable anyway (that is both good and bad) and for a team that has plenty of cap space.

The only issue is probably that 4th year, but by then, he might be a cheap risk for a team looking to acquire a depth d-man to fill a role for a season and possibly a playoff run so we will easily get a draft pick out of it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He really has not been that bad in his time here. He has not been "great", but he barely makes mistakes, he holds his own on the ice, most of the time he is barely noticeable anyway (that is both good and bad) and for a team that has plenty of cap space.

The only issue is probably that 4th year, but by then, he might be a cheap risk for a team looking to acquire a depth d-man to fill a role for a season and possibly a playoff run so we will easily get a draft pick out of it.
Barely makes mistakes?

Serious?

This is one of those times where the eye test and advanced stats line up nearly perfectly

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

We're watching different players. Zaitsev is one of the highest "mistakes per minute" guy I watch on a regular basis. He's constantly unable to make easy plays that create havoc in our end, just like his predecessor in Ceci. There's a reason why Zaitsev's teammates always fare better away from him.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad