Player Discussion RD Nikita Zaitsev

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Methot is way faster and more mobile than Zaitsev.

giphy.gif

I liked Methot but I don't get this assertion at all.

More physical certainly. More defensively responsible, sure. A better complement for Karlsson, absolutely.

Way faster and more mobile? I don't think so.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The real question is whether you can imagine him playing big minutes on a team going deep into the playoffs.

I just can't.
I doubt he will be. Dermott is returning tonight and I can't imagine Dubas will be sitting idle in the trade market. Ceci probably will be relegated to a much smaller role in the near future. If not then Dubas will have a good excuse to fire Babcock.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I doubt he will be. Dermott is returning tonight and I can't imagine Dubas will be sitting idle in the trade market. Ceci probably will be relegated to a much smaller role in the near future. If not then Dubas will have a good excuse to fire Babcock.

Well, I can't see Dermott winning a Cup playing big minutes either.

Their D corps is entirely out of sync with their aspirations.

3 years from now, sure.

Defencemen aren't easy to come by in the short-term.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'll take Zaitsev over Ceci 100 times out of 100. Ceci was terrible in Ottawa. I haven't watched many Leafs games, but I saw A LOT of Ceci and it was mostly horrifying. I can't believe anyone is upset by this trade.
I don't dislike Ceci and sincerely wish him well. It'd be great if he pulled it all together and turned into a top player. But I couldn't watch one more minute of him on the Sens.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think Zaitsev is clearly better than Ceci, but 4 years @ 4.5 per better? That remains to be seen.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Well, I can't see Dermott winning a Cup playing big minutes either.

Their D corps is entirely out of sync with their aspirations.

3 years from now, sure.

Defencemen aren't easy to come by in the short-term.
I don't think they're far off with the addition of Dermott. If they could get a guy likenTanev at the deadline, I think they'd be set. The biggest problem they have going forward are Tampa and Boston. I just can't see Toronto beating them in a 7 game series. They could probably beat just about anyone else but they just so happen to be in a division with those two crazy stacked teams.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think Zaitsev is clearly better than Ceci, but 4 years @ 4.5 per better? That remains to be seen.

That's isn't really the question though. It was either you re-sign Ceci at his QO of 4.3M I believe or taking Zaitsev or letting Ceci walk and then replacing him with a UFA who'd be paid just as much.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's isn't really the question though. It was either you re-sign Ceci at his QO of 4.3M I believe or taking Zaitsev or letting Ceci walk and then replacing him with a UFA who'd be paid just as much.
Yeah but you wouldn't be tied to 5 more years if you go with option 2 or if you let him go to arbitration. Or you just play someone like Jaros instead. Its gonna suck in a couple years when guys like Thomson and JBD are ready and we have to sit them or leave them in the AHL because of Zaitsev.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Depends on how much they felt they needed this player. I guess Smith isn't overly fond of Jaros, so maybe you're right. That's a fair bit of term for Zaitsev though, but fingers crossed, from what we've all seen, it looks like it might work out.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
The real question is whether you can imagine him playing big minutes on a team going deep into the playoffs.

I just can't.
For sure. What I mean he has PDO of 105.0 - that's crazy high suggesting he's overperforming right now. He'll come crashing down soon enough.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We could have qualified Ceci for 1 year and seen how he adapted under a new coach and system.

Let Ceci walk (or trade him for a small futures package) and go for a UFA (Gardiner, Chiarot, Nemeth, Benn come to mind as having been available, but I think all are LD)

Replace him internally (Run with Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, Hainsey, DeMelo, Boro, Goloubef, Jaros)

I don't mind Zaitsev and Brown is a great 3rd liner imo, so I'm fairly happy with how this turned out so far. Zaitsev's term still scares me though, what will he look like at 32?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don’t think he regresses at all for the duration... I think he reminds me of Kuba actually

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think he regresses at all for the duration... I think he reminds me of Kuba actually

wrt the regression, I don't so much expect it, but it is a risk to be aware of.

wrt the Kuba comparisson, I don't see it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
giphy.gif

I liked Methot but I don't get this assertion at all.

More physical certainly. More defensively responsible, sure. A better complement for Karlsson, absolutely.

Way faster and more mobile? I don't think so.
Two strides and he covered the neutral zone, much faster than Zaitsev. Thats why he was such a good partner for Karlsson he had the speed to keep up.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I was really confused reading the top of this page. A bunch of people talking about how the leafs will go far in the playoffs and could likely beat anyone but TB and Boston. Turns out they're from October :laugh:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This thread is reopened for discussion on the player. Please do not post any speculation or comments regarding recent social media stories on his family.

Any user failing to comply with this request will result in an infraction.

From TSN

“The Ottawa Senators will not comment on the private, family matters of our players," the team said in a statement. "In this specific case, the only thing we can say now is that the player has spoken to Senators management and has advised us the children are safe in Russia. We have been in contact with the NHL regarding this matter and will work to ensure all proper measures are taken.

Reactions: TheDebater

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I can’t think of one reason to dislike Zaitsev.

He got rid of Ceci, gets paid less than his cap hit, was our first Russian in a bazillion years, plays pretty good hockey, is movable through the line up and keeps his drama to himself.

He injured himself blocking multiple shots and our D has been a Chabot show ever since. The guy competes and clearly we’re better with him than without.

Thanks Nikita! Happy you’re back!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I can’t think of one reason to dislike Zaitsev.

He got rid of Ceci, gets paid less than his cap hit, was our first Russian in a bazillion years, plays pretty good hockey, is movable through the line up and keeps his drama to himself.

He injured himself blocking multiple shots and our D has been a Chabot show ever since. The guy competes and clearly we’re better with him than without.

Thanks Nikita! Happy you’re back!

I personally really like Zaitsev. Good #4 D imo.

Sorry but the analytic fans tells me he sucks.

Reactions: Que
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad