RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I like this kids game a lot. In 10 years, I think most will figure he was a fair top 10 pick. A little reach but I guess someone really loved his game. I agree with the guy above on Zegras but whatever. I like this kid.

He’s mobile and hard hitting with a good hockey sense in all 3 zones. I don’t see him as a star but a very well rounded and mobile D. He likely fills out to be 6’5 & 225 give or take when he’s done growing too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wonder if anyone has a clip somewher eof that hit against the Czechs? He almost killed that guy.

Really looking like he deserved to be picked as high as he was. i would say right now hes looking like the best dman in the tourney (I'm biased but I think most would agree) and I definitely think he looks better than Byram considering Byram was supposed to be in a class of his own for dmen at the draft lat year

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I wonder if anyone has a clip somewher eof that hit against the Czechs? He almost killed that guy.

Really looking like he deserved to be picked as high as he was. i would say right now hes looking like the best dman in the tourney (I'm biased but I think most would agree) and I definitely think he looks better than Byram considering Byram was supposed to be in a class of his own for dmen at the draft lat year

I love both guys, but I'd say Seider stands out because he is definitely further along physically.

Byram was one of the younger guys in his draft, but more importantly he has not developed his physical game much yet (imo). I've seen him live a few times and I'd say he's incredibly cerebral, but may need a few years to develop against older players. But I still say he was be a dangerous weapon at the top level.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I love both guys, but I'd say Seider stands out because he is definitely further along physically.

Byram was one of the younger guys in his draft, but more importantly he has not developed his physical game much yet (imo). I've seen him live a few times and I'd say he's incredibly cerebral, but may need a few years to develop against older players. But I still say he was be a dangerous weapon at the top level.
For the record, Seider is only 2 months older than Byram. Seider has plenty of time to work on his overall game just like Byram (this isn't a Lafrienere vs Byfield situation).

Overall, Seider has been the most welcome surprise this season, he absolutely could be playing in the NHL at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 9 games at some point this year as he has been the Griffins best defender this season. It's far too early to say that he is going to be better than Byram 3 or more years down the road, but the fact that we can even have this discussion is a very positive sign. At the draft table I was hoping for one of Byram, Turcotte or Zegras to be available, but thus far I can't complain with how things have turned out.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
For the record, Seider is only 2 months older than Byram. Seider has plenty of time to work on his overall game just like Byram (this isn't a Lafrienere vs Byfield situation).

Overall, Seider has been the most welcome surprise this season, he absolutely could be playing in the NHL at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 9 games at some point this year as he has been the Griffins best defender this season. It's far too early to say that he is going to be better than Byram 3 or more years down the road, but the fact that we can even have this discussion is a very positive sign. At the draft table I was hoping for one of Byram, Turcotte or Zegras to be available, but thus far I can't complain with how things have turned out.

I wasn't directly comparing the age of these two guys, I was comparing byram vs the entire group he was drafted with and the other guys at the wjc. He's a young drafted guy who isn't physically equipt yet. Seider is clearly almost overly physically equipt for this level so he is better able to use his other talents.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is definitely true. I suppose the only thing to say about it is that Seider ragdolls grown men in the AHL, too. Byram definitely will be a very high level player with a little more development time.

When the wings make it back to the playoffs I have a feeling fans of the team theyre playing against are going to hate Seider. He'll be playing big minutes and making life hell on the other team because he plays like such a throwback dman and ragdolls people already at the age of 18. At 26 when hes got his man strength and hes 230-240 lbs will be hilarious to watch

Christien

May 1, 2010
He had a great tournament and I'm almost certain he'll get his 9 games before the end of the season. He's a hell of a prospect.

Reactions: newfy

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I was confused why Detroit took him so low but he is looking like a terrific prospect.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Pronman on Seider's WJC performance:
Moritz Seider, D, Detroit (Germany)
While this was one of Germany’s best U20 teams in recent memory, it wasn’t an especially deep team. Seider’s presence on the ice made a difference for the group. He kept his team above water when he was on the ice, making a lot of stops due to his mobility and size. He wasn’t a key offensive player in the tournament and he has never been a dazzler, but he made a lot of clean exits and entries, and made some skilled plays to generate offense. His tournament was an example of why, even though he’s not flashy, he’s very effective. He drew the praise of NHL scouts in attendance as a guy who could be a potential top-pair defenseman one day.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
From Dobber:
And then there’s Moritz Seider (DET) who led the tournament in average ice time by almost two minutes, finishing with an average of 25:20 per game. The sixth overall pick in 2019 also had six points (all assists) – only one player on the German team had more points than him. If Seider played on one of the top teams, it’s easy to think he could have won the Best Defenseman award because he was a beast in each and every game he played. But because his team ended up in the relegation round, it’s hard to really consider him for any of the top honors. Seider played a huge part in Germany avoiding relegation, though, so if he’s still available next year, he can try to carry his team to an even better performance then – but it’s very likely he’s busy playing in the NHL at that point.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I watched most of the Sweden and Russia games as well and honestly Seider looked every bit as good as Romanov and Sandin and dare I say even better. The German team sucks but he and Stutzle carried them...on a better team I think he would have won the best Dman award.
Hell of a pick by Yzerman.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I still don’t see the top end offensive skills to make him an ideal #1D, but definitely a top pairing guy who will terrify the opposition and shut down the leagues best. He would be great to pair with an all out offensive D.

I see him as a D who puts up points in the 30’s with little PP time. Won’t lead the offense, but won’t be a liability there either.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I still don’t see the top end offensive skills to make him an ideal #1D, but definitely a top pairing guy who will terrify the opposition and shut down the leagues best. He would be great to pair with an all out offensive D.

I see him as a D who puts up points in the 30’s with little PP time. Won’t lead the offense, but won’t be a liability there either.

If he can be a super shut-down guy and only score 30+ points, I'll be happy. While I get that being a top-pairing guy usually means scoring 40+ points. I think with someone like Seider this can be an exception. He's like a throw back into the past kind of dman, sort of similar to players like Hatcher and Foote, though Seider is a much better skater than those guys.

Reactions: Kleefeld

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If he can be a super shut-down guy and only score 30+ points, I'll be happy. While I get that being a top-pairing guy usually means scoring 40+ points. I think with someone like Seider this can be an exception. He's like a throw back into the past kind of dman, sort of similar to players like Hatcher and Foote, though Seider is a much better skater than those guys.

Oh yes it’s definitely not a shot at him and I think he will be great, I just don’t think he’s going to put up enough numbers to get big time attention from non-Wings fans.

Reactions: Kleefeld
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

In today's era of umbrella PPs with 1 defenseman, yeah, Seider is probably not going to get a lot of PP time. But I see him as a great minute-munching type partner for a skilled offensive guy who needs a little help. I'm thinking of somebody on the Filip Hronek level, somebody who brings high end offense, but can't really control the game well enough defensively to be a safe top pairing player. Seider can make that work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad