RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Koto

May 3, 2011
man his open ice hits are all so high, does he ever get penalized for leaving his feet?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I would be shocked if he fell past 15. An offensively gifted, strong skating, big hitting stud on the blueline, who can toss knuckles as good as anyone, doesn't fall any further than 15th, no way in hell.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
With all these highlights videos, it sure has offensive talent. But, how is he in the defensive zone? I read the Subban comparison, Subban had a very poor defensive coverage in the Juniors.

I'd imagine thats the biggest question when it comes to Dumba.

If he can show he can play above average D in the WHL, I can't imagine him going lower than 10.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Watched him early last season. He really didn't impress me in his own zone, but this was one of the first games of the year. The Phaneuf comparison is right on, but I think he lacks the shot that Dion has. Not the biggest of kids, but he is amazingly strong for his size.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Watched him early last season. He really didn't impress me in his own zone, but this was one of the first games of the year. The Phaneuf comparison is right on, but I think he lacks the shot that Dion has. Not the biggest of kids, but he is amazingly strong for his size.

This was what I was wondering. He was listed at 6'0 176, but those measurements would be the start of last season (he'd have been 16yrs 2months). By next June could he be 6'1-6'2 and 195-200?

As for the shot, it may not have the sauce that the Dion has, but in the highlight reel he shows he doesn't look for the big blast all the time either. He let a couple of snappers and wristers go from the point too. I think that's way more important than having a bomb. Ray Borque didn't have a bomb either, but he was deadly from the point.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
I don't think he's going to be as highly regarded as some of the other top prospects, but IMO, he's gone no later than 20. And he really is a treat to watch. Boundless energy and excitement. I would do back-flips and cartwheels if the Devils somehow found a way to draft him next year.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
We've got the Murray vs. Ebert thing going on.

The other is Trouba vs. Dumba. How does he compare to Trouba?

Apr 6, 2011
Historically, being a "top20 pick for sure" a year too early doesn't always end up too well.

Not that I know anything about this guy...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
We've got the Murray vs. Ebert thing going on.

The other is Trouba vs. Dumba. How does he compare to Trouba?

From what I've seen (which is limited with Trouba) I would say Trouba is a much better offensive player in regards to overall maturity. Dumba is probably the better skater and the better physical package though as far as how explosive he can be.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I agree with the Phaneuf comparison. Like Dion he runs around a bit too much to make the big hit, gets caught out of postion, and like most rookie dmen needs to work on his defence. He has a great tool box and if he puts it together could be the second best dman to come from the WHL in 2012. Very hi upside but still very raw.

So, he's dumba like Dion?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I didn't have the time to scout next years draft class all that much but Dumba is the one player I really like, and want.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Matt Dumba

Not sure what happened with a previous report of Dumba being a disappointment, not sure if people are watching or just coming on here posting whatever.....

TSN.ca Notes: Matt Dumba of Red Deer certainly stood out - fearless and physical. He was slick with the puck, spinning away from defenders with a great cross-ice stretch pass through the middle to start a rush. He had great anticipation in his own end and a big open ice hit on the penalty kill. Head coach Steve Spott after the game called him "a dynamic player," and, "the real deal."

R S

Sep 18, 2006
His first on ice session he apparently he had a problem with an edge on his skate...that's all it was. He's been Canada's best player so far, according to those at the camp.

He does have his own thread already though.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
He can push to be the top defenseman in the draft class.

And he's benefited greatly by having Nugent-Hopkins on his club.

“It’s pretty cool to see how Hoppy handled himself throughout the year,†Dumba said. “He’s so humble. There’s not much he does wrong. He handles the media with so much humility. He’s a great person all around.â€

That’s not the only place Dumba got to observe Nugent-Hopkins.

Dumba, set to represent Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in Slovakia next week, also got a first class lesson on the ice from the Burnaby, BC. native as well. Dumba, a defenseman, had to line up against Nugent-Hopkins, a centre, often in practice.

It’s made Dumba a better defenseman, he admitted.

“Being in practice with him every day, you sure get a workout,†said Dumba, a Calgary, AB. native. “He’ll have you chasing the puck. You got to try to read him as much as you can. It’s pretty hard.â€

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/dumba-has-great-mentor-in-rnh/

Right now, I think you can talk about Dumba being with Murray and Ebert.

Oct 15, 2008
He is my favourite d man out of this year's crop that I have seen. Ive seen all the whl guys.

I like Morgan Rielly too, just not as much as Dumba who does it all. Guy will be a game changer in the nhl. Not that high on Murray tbh. I believe both he and especially Reinhart are over-rated.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Well consider this I guess;

1. He is the Captain of Team Canada U18

2. He was part of a defence corps that only let in 6 goals(+ 1 empty net) in 6 games(1 exhibition) against the best U18 national teams from around the world.

3. +23 as a 16 yr old in the WHL

4. 15 goals as a 16 yr old D-man in the WHL

5. Led the U17 in scoring last Xmas as a D-man, in a tourney that included Trouba and Jones.

6. Is as physical as they come, hi-lite reel hits and is a very very capable fighter.

I would guess the only concern would be;

1. Might be a bit small at only 6'0 but is built solid.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
80%+ of those hits are illegal in the NHL. He takes a run at a star with those head shots and somebody will kill him out there.

I like the aggression but he has to hit shoulder to shoulder/chest, and the leaving the feet is a big no no.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well consider this I guess;

1. He is the Captain of Team Canada U18

2. He was part of a defence corps that only let in 6 goals(+ 1 empty net) in 6 games(1 exhibition) against the best U18 national teams from around the world.

3. +23 as a 16 yr old in the WHL

4. 15 goals as a 16 yr old D-man in the WHL

5. Led the U17 in scoring last Xmas as a D-man, in a tourney that included Trouba and Jones.

6. Is as physical as they come, hi-lite reel hits and is a very very capable fighter.

I would guess the only concern would be;

1. Might be a bit small at only 6'0 but is built solid.

The concern I (and others) have had with him are in regards to his play away from the puck.

Sure, everybody likes a dynamic offensive player that hits like a truck, but he still needs to round out his game. It will happen, I'm sure, but he still over commits himself all over the ice on a frequent basis trying to lay huge hits.

If he can develop that side of his game, without losing his physicality, we could have an extremely good young player on our hands here.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
80%+ of those hits are illegal in the NHL. He takes a run at a star with those head shots and somebody will kill him out there.

I like the aggression but he has to hit shoulder to shoulder/chest, and the leaving the feet is a big no no.

Dont skate around with your head down like Eric Lindros and it wont be shoulder to head!! :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad