RD Matt Dumba (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
The concern I (and others) have had with him are in regards to his play away from the puck.

Sure, everybody likes a dynamic offensive player that hits like a truck, but he still needs to round out his game. It will happen, I'm sure, but he still over commits himself all over the ice on a frequent basis trying to lay huge hits.

If he can develop that side of his game, without losing his physicality, we could have an extremely good young player on our hands here.

I agree in the games I watched him play the two negatives I took away were that he was looking for the big hit too much and getting out of position and he was at times trying to rush the puck by himself when there was a easier headman to a forward. But I do love the total package he brings to the table I would just like to see him make better decisions, which will hopefully happen as his game evolves

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
One of the top defenseman for the 2012 NHL draft is Matt Dumba. Doesn't seem to have his own thread yet, so I thought I would start one.

I've only had a chance to see him live once and I really liked what I saw.

Big right handed shot that hits like a truck and skates very well. A very physical edge to his game that has translated very well from Bantam into the WHL.

Here's a little article about him from Dan Sallows today:

Anybody else read that as fast as me and thought it said somthing else:D

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
The concern I (and others) have had with him are in regards to his play away from the puck.

Sure, everybody likes a dynamic offensive player that hits like a truck, but he still needs to round out his game. It will happen, I'm sure, but he still over commits himself all over the ice on a frequent basis trying to lay huge hits.

If he can develop that side of his game, without losing his physicality, we could have an extremely good young player on our hands here.

Well said. If he can improve his defensive positioning and overall defensive game, I have a hard time picturing him going lower than top 6-8.

A young D-man with top notch physicality, offensive play and defensive awareness?

He has tremendous tools, if he can put it together, he'll be a hell of a D-man. Hopefully he can develop the defensive part of his game further, I'd love Edmonton to draft him and re-unite him with RNH.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
Well after all of these reviews of Dumba I'm hoping the Flyers trade up to a top 10 pick in the draft. Not only him but like others said, there's Trouba, Rielly and others too. This seems like it'll be a good draft class.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Well after all of these reviews of Dumba I'm hoping the Flyers trade up to a top 10 pick in the draft. Not only him but like others said, there's Trouba, Rielly and others too. This seems like it'll be a good draft class.

The way things are going, they might not need to trade up to get him. :)

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
The way things are going, they might not need to trade up to get him. :)

I love how people are underrating us
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Simmonds-Schenn-Talbot
Nodl-Betts-Shelley

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Gustaffsson

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

That's actually a really good lineup and we have Couturier now for the future too.

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Dont skate around with your head down like Eric Lindros and it wont be shoulder to head!! :shakehead

Regardless, a hit to the head (especially if he is leaving his feet which he does a lot) is an instant penalty. His NHL coach is going to tell him if he wants to stay in this league he has to learn to not put his team down a man, doesn't matter how good a hit it is.

By the way, I find it kind of ironic that a Habs fan would defend cheap shots while you claim thats what Chara's was.:shakehead:shakehead

See, I can add s,ilies as well:sarcasm:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Regardless, a hit to the head (especially if he is leaving his feet which he does a lot) is an instant penalty. His NHL coach is going to tell him if he wants to stay in this league he has to learn to not put his team down a man, doesn't matter how good a hit it is.

By the way, I find it kind of ironic that a Habs fan would defend cheap shots while you claim thats what Chara's was.:shakehead:shakehead

See, I can add s,ilies as well:sarcasm:

You obviously dont play hockey, watch the Chara hit, it was dirty ya I guess, but it was intentional more than anything. The big dummy didnt get suspended so I have no worries for Dumba and his hitting style. I havent seen a hit yet where he leaves his feet. Did Phaneuf get suspended for his hit on Ruuttu? Nope. :laugh:

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Coming out of the U18 Ivan Hlinka tournament, I think Mat Dumba had a surprising showing because he was a little overshadowed by some of the other highly touted Canadian prospects, but I came away with him very impressed. I think something that people aren't mention is just how good of a skater he is, because of how he'd pick up the puck behind his own net and you could tell the opposing bench tensing up because they know his offensive rush will come.

Got all of the tools, maybe his toolbox is in question with the hockey sense, but with good coaching that can definitely come. One guy I also thought of aside from the Phaneuf comparison was Zach Bogosian going into his draft year, a player with offensive touch that likes to hit. It's still up to see how he'll adjust to the NHL, regardless of where he's taken I think he will benefit from a year in junior.

Keep in mind he did all this at 6'0, 166 lbs. He's got plenty of time to get even bigger and add to that frame.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I say close where Siemens went this year.

I would say Dumba offers alot more than Siemens did at this point in his draft year. The only thing Siemens has on Dumba is size, that is it.

These hit and fights and goals are impressive and remember Dumba was only a 16 yr old rookie last. I would be impressed with some of those hits if he was 19!!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would say Dumba offers alot more than Siemens did at this point in his draft year. The only thing Siemens has on Dumba is size, that is it.

These hit and fights and goals are impressive and remember Dumba was only a 16 yr old rookie last. I would be impressed with some of those hits if he was 19!!

Siemens is better defensively than Dumba, by a fairly wide margin.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Haven't seen red deer play this season, but the stats show Dumba is struggling, one of the lowest plus/minus on the team. Is he playing against other teams top lines, thus the struggle?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
No real struggle, and is playing a ton of time.

I logged his special teams ice time from the Calgary Hitmen game. He played (and I threw out the exact figures) roughly 10:25 of a possible 11:50 of PP time. It was crazy.

Asked head coach Jesse Wallin about it after. He said before Dumba leaves, he wants to see if he can get him to play a full 60 minutes! (He was joking, of course, but sort of only half joking...)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
For those wondering about a comparison for Dumba, get it straight from the source:

“Dion was great in Red Deer and I like that comparison there, but I like Drew Doughty,†said Dumba, who has five points in eight games this season. “He’s a guy I’d like to model my game after. He’s a great young defenseman in the NHL. Why not?â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/dumba-digs-doughty/

the word*

I love Dumba. Who knows if he'll go top 5. He has all the skills but lacks upper echelon hockey IQ. He'll probably never be a great first pass defenceman but the kid is so aggressive in every other aspect of the game. He's on the smallish side for his position but like I said, I love this kid's game.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think him and Murray are really neck and neck right now for top spot out of the WHL. Both of them suffer from some odd decision making choices in their own zone.

Murray's more well rounded and a smooth skater while Dumba is more explosive and likely has more pure offensive potential.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
I think him and Murray are really neck and neck right now for top spot out of the WHL. Both of them suffer from some odd decision making choices in their own zone.

Murray's more well rounded and a smooth skater while Dumba is more explosive and likely has more pure offensive potential.

I think Rielly has pushed himself in that mix as well. However I still think Murray will go before Rielly even though they play similar styles.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think Rielly has pushed himself in that mix as well. However I still think Murray will go before Rielly even though they play similar styles.

I think Rielly might be the best pure offensive out of the 3, but he is still well behind both players in regards to defensively abilities.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

I think Pouliot could jump up there with them by the end of the season but he might not get as much of an opportunity offensively because of Rutkowski and Morrow. However, there has been that aversion to selecting d-men super early in recent years.

Dumba is a tantalizing player because his skill set is so explosive but his decision making is still shaky sometimes and you already know it will be an issue in his transition to pros. Murray is much more polished and his calmness out there really translates to his teammates, you can see that they're confident he will make the right play out there. Dumba is much more frantic - some may call it dynamic and others might call it erratic.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Kid is real good. Real high skill level and has got plenty of truculenceâ„¢

What's Loubardias doing these days? Well besides writing this blog that is.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
There's no way Dumba becomes #1 overall. He's good, but not that good. He has to have a perfect season in Red Deer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad