RD Logan Hensler - USNTDP, USHL (2025 Draft)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Huge get for UW. Hensler's development over the course of the year was excellent.
His arc was incredible. At U-17 he was low on the depth chart, some even called him 7th D. By the end of the year after Cole Hutson had been moved up, he was THE guy.

Good get for Wisconsin

my third best skater on that u17 team last year behind Eiserman and Hagens
Ahead of Cole Hutson? I don't disagree with you, but this surprises me. Big defenceman always take longer to develop and I don't think some people appreciate that.

Reactions: Blueston

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
5 points (2g, 3a) in the first 4 games of the season. He's the best defenseman prospect on the U18 team by a considerable margin. But with his arc and production to start the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not also their best defenseman soon, if not already. To be fair it's not a shocking claim as he was that to end the U17 season but Huston was with the U18s at that point. Excited to catch some U18 games to see for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5 points (2g, 3a) in the first 4 games of the season. He's the best defenseman prospect on the U18 team by a considerable margin. But with his arc and production to start the season, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not also their best defenseman soon, if not already. To be fair it's not a shocking claim as he was that to end the U17 season but Huston was with the U18s at that point. Excited to catch some U18 games to see for myself.
Don’t forget about Skahan. He doesn’t put up the points, but is the best player on that team defensively.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Surprised this thread hasn't had any posts in nearly five months. He's had a pretty good season. I think he's progressing towards being a top 10 pick next year.

My main worry is that he doesn't play aggressive enough offensively. He barely will activate off the goal-line. To put up more points he will need to drift down deeper towards the goal line than he does.

I like how good he is defensively, but to reach his potential he will need to play riskier. He has all the tools to be a top 4 defenseman, and possibly he can be a 2 without that much offensive improvement, yet I don't think he right now has the game to be a 1. He needs to improve offensive risk-taking for that. I love his defensive game though. So reliable. Skates well. He's 6'2. Moves pucks out of the zone quickly.

I've been trying to think of a comparable. I think he shows some similarities to Reinbacher, and is probably looking at a similar draft range for next year. Outside chance for top 5. More likely top 10.

Reactions: cheechoo

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
All the recruits from the previous regime are leaving. You figure he’s the next domino to fall for Wisconsin.

Is Hastings going to give him top 4 ice time next season?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
(looks at wisconsin roster)
Yes
But I’m sure the guys that left this year thought the same thing. Pedigree in Junior doesn’t seem to matter. Hastings prefers older players with NCAA experience.

For a player who’ll be going into his draft season it could be very costly to take the risk at Wisconsin that Hastings will like him more than he liked the others.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd be surprised if he didn't back out of his NLI. Not based on any inside info, but given his stature as a prospect, it's a risk to go to a program hemorrhaging young players to play for a coach who has a bias for older players. That of course doesn't mean Hensler wouldn't possibly earn a big role, but why risk it when you're a Top 10 prospect in your class as of now and you would definitely get a big role at other prominent programs?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I'd be surprised if he didn't back out of his NLI. Not based on any inside info, but given his stature as a prospect, it's a risk to go to a program hemorrhaging young players to play for a coach who has a bias for older players. That of course doesn't mean Hensler wouldn't possibly earn a big role, but why risk it when you're a Top 10 prospect in your class as of now and you would definitely get a big role at other prominent programs?
Depending on what happens with early departures at some schools remaining, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple de-commitments from high end players. If Hreschuk leaves BC to go pro, I could see him end up there. I could also see him end up at Michigan

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Depending on what happens with early departures at some schools remaining, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple de-commitments from high end players. If Hreschuk leaves BC to go pro, I could see him end up there. I could also see him end up at Michigan

How many backflips are you doing if BC takes home the NCAA title and then flips Hensler?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
How many backflips are you doing if BC takes home the NCAA title and then flips Hensler?
The ultimate "running through the streets screaming" scenario would be to win the natty, all the freshmen, Jellvik and Gasseau stay and they flip Hensler. I highly doubt all that would happen. I'd be happy if they retained 2 of the freshmen line and one of Gasseau or Jellvik

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
BC could fit well as that's where Skahan already left Wisconsin for, and they've been paired together for a good share of their time at the NTDP. Could be a little bit of the same type of chemistry that the current freshman line has.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
5 Drew Fortescue (05) 2 Eamon Powell (02)
15 Jacob Bengtsson (99) 8 Lukas Gustafsson (02)
7 Aidan Hreshuk (03) 17 Aram Minnetian (05)

Who is expected back/to depart for BC blue line? I believe Will Skahan is arriving next season (2nd/3rd round pick?)

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
5 Drew Fortescue (05) 2 Eamon Powell (02)
15 Jacob Bengtsson (99) 8 Lukas Gustafsson (02)
7 Aidan Hreshuk (03) 17 Aram Minnetian (05)

Who is expected back/to depart for BC blue line? I believe Will Skahan is arriving next season (2nd/3rd round pick?)
Bengtsson is out of eligibility and Powell likely signs with Tampa. Leaves their top 6 next year as: Fortescue, Gustafsson, Minnetian, Hreschuk, Leddy, Skahan

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Bengtsson is out of eligibility and Powell likely signs with Tampa. Leaves their top 6 next year as: Fortescue, Gustafsson, Minnetian, Hreschuk, Leddy, Skahan
I actually think Bengtsson has another year of eligibility because of COVID. I think he only played 3 years at LSSU. We're all asuming both him an Powell are gone though. Hreschuk could turn pro as well or come back and be captain. BC has run 7 D pretty much all season though so wouldn't be a big deal if one of them came back

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
I actually think Bengtsson has another year of eligibility because of COVID. I think he only played 3 years at LSSU. We're all asuming both him an Powell are gone though. Hreschuk could turn pro as well or come back and be captain. BC has run 7 D pretty much all season though so wouldn't be a big deal if one of them came back
Yeah you’re right he did only play 3 years at Lake State. He’s listed as a grad student on the line charts though so who knows

Edit: FWIW gopher puck live’s portal spreadsheet had him as 1 year of eligibility left last year and they’re usually right

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Yeah you’re right he did only play 3 years at Lake State. He’s listed as a grad student on the line charts though so who knows

Edit: FWIW gopher puck live’s portal spreadsheet had him as 1 year of eligibility left last year and they’re usually right
I'm not going to pretend to understand college eligibility anymore even though I've probably watched close to 100 college games this year. Betwen transfers, Covid rules, and NLI's not really mattering anymore, I just kind of wait until someone tells me someone can't play. As an aside, betting on college hockey is a blast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad