RD Logan Hensler - USNTDP, USHL (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

NCAA Commitment: TBD

One of the top ‘06 defenders and looks really promising to be a top NHL draft pick.
Hensler does a great job making sure he is in the right spot at the right time. He is good at using his body to force opponents to the outside. He is one of those players that makes skating look effortless, similar to a Luke Hughes or Jake Sanderson before him. He is excellent in transition and has a phenomenal outlet pass because of how calm he is under pressure. He has the size and mobility NHL teams salivate over - I can definitely see him being one of the top players come his draft day.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think there should be a lot more talk about this kid - I think he could challenge for A top-5 pick in 2025.

He is being heavily recruited and might just be the most sought after player of the class. Every school would like a verbal commitment from him.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think there should be a lot more talk about this kid - I think he could challenge for A top-5 pick in 2025.

He is being heavily recruited and might just be the most sought after player of the class. Every school would like a verbal commitment from him.

It'll pick up once the NTDP season starts. Most people have never seen him play at this point.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
6'2" 190 lb at 16, and skates like Luke Hughes and Sanderson? Intriguing to say the least.
Lol that’s likely an exaggeration in terms of directly correlating his skills but he looks smooth and athletic in his highlights. We will know more this year but he’s certainly been on the watch radar for a while in his age group.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Sure he will accelerate. Go with one pre draft and one post draft year in college a la Power at Michigan.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
From what I've seen, this kid really has the potential to be great. So much skill for his size, not just a big kid like they used to Draft. Gotta follow him some more because he looks like a potential top Defender soon.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he looks very talented, but he’s pretty raw. Decision-making needs a lot of work. He can do everything, but he was also the 7th defensemen today and you can understand why. I wouldn’t blame a coach for not trusting him right now.

Hopefully we see some progress in the next few years, but Bode Wilde had the same type of skills profile and he hasn’t figured it out yet.

Also definitely not 6’5. That must’ve been a typo. He’s like 6’3.

Reactions: QJL

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I think he looks very talented, but he’s pretty raw. Decision-making needs a lot of work. He can do everything, but he was also the 7th defensemen today and you can understand why. I wouldn’t blame a coach for not trusting him right now.

Hopefully we see some progress in the next few years, but Bode Wilde had the same type of skills profile and he hasn’t figured it out yet.

Also definitely not 6’5. That must’ve been a typo. He’s like 6’3.
I could be wrong - but he got a regular shift as Cole Hutson’s pairing. I felt like I saw that pairing out there about as much as the Whipple-Emery one - I don’t think he was the #7.

He moved the puck real nice on one of the US’s power plays that lead to the Kamil Bedniark goal. He also was had about 3-4 nice open ice body checks.

I agree he is raw - decision making at times wasn’t the best when the puck was on his stick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I could be wrong - but he got a regular shift as Cole Hutson’s pairing. I felt like I saw that pairing out there about as much as the Whipple-Emery one - I don’t think he was the #7.

He moved the puck real nice on one of the US’s power plays that lead to the Kamil Bedniark goal. He also was had about 3-4 nice open ice body checks.

I agree he is raw - decision making at times wasn’t the best when the puck was on his stick.
That was Skahan with Hutson on the first pair. Whipple and Emery on the second. Rheaume-Mullen and Lapointe on the third pair. It switched a little late in the game, but not in the favor of Hensler getting a regular shift.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked his play better in the second game. Made better decisions defensively. He has some great shifts, but doesn't take over enough shifts the way I feel he could.

He's not as dominant as guys like Hagens or even Eiserman, but he does show a lot of potential. He has all the ability to be a 1D in the NHL, but not all players with the ability turn into that.

Good thing he's a 2025 draft pick, so he has an extra year that most of these players don't have to work on the areas he needs to improve. Has all the natural ability though to be a top ten or top five pick.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Where I still don't see the high-end upside in some of the other NTDP U-17 d-men who were hyped pre-NTDP like Whipple and Skahan, it's readily apparent in Hensler. He's continued to improve throughout the season and while his physical gifts and skills have always been there, he's really started to come into his own in the last quarter of the season after the Five Nations Tournament. And he hasn't missed a bit after Eiserman, Hagens, and Hutson were promoted to the U18s, either.

He had 10 assists in his first 40 games to start the season. He then had 2 goals and 2 assists in his first 2 games after the Five Nations against the Chicago Steel while Eiserman, Hagens, and Hutson were still with U17s. And then 3 goals and 9 assists in the next 12 games since those guys were promoted to the U18s.

He's just starting to scratch the surface of his potential, so he's going to be really interesting to follow next season to see if he takes another leap, especially as an RHD with his size and skill set. And as a late '06 who's not eligible until the 2025 draft, we'll see him in college pre-draft, too.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thought he showed good improvement over the course of last season. He’s toolsy. It’s a slow progression. He saw an uptick in offensive responsibility when Hutson was promoted. I liked that. His defensive component was there throughout. He needs to be more aggressive offensively. You see a beast sometimes, but other times he’s too tentative. I’m glad he’s 2025 eligible. By then, he could put it all together and be the next top 5 drafted American defenseman. Big, good defensively, skates well, shows offense in spurts. Eventual 1D if it all comes together.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Better now without Granato, but it’s risky until we see how it goes with the new coach.

Wisconsin could now have the two best American 2006 born defenseman committed with Hensler and Skahan, with all due respect to Hutson.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Better now without Granato, but it’s risky until we see how it goes with the new coach.

Wisconsin could now have the two best American 2006 born defenseman committed with Hensler and Skahan, with all due respect to Hutson.
Hastings is an excellent coach. Will do wonders for that program

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad