Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I will say that reading up on Nelson his resume is pretty impressive. AHL coach of the year this year, two Calder Cups etc.

I think he’s a lot more qualified than our previous coaches with no NHL experience, or even Gruden for that matter.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I will say that reading up on Nelson his resume is pretty impressive. AHL coach of the year this year, two Calder Cups etc.

I think he’s a lot more qualified than our previous coaches with no NHL experience, or even Gruden for that matter.
Technically he has a season as NHL HC over in Edmonton, well most of a season, after Eakins got fired.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't see an issue with giving him an interview.

He's got a good resume.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Rod the Bod if he becomes available (but he'd be so high in demand that I'd actually see a team unexpectedly fire their coach just to hire him.

Evason out of the guys who are currently available please.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Head Coach - Todd McLellan
Ass. Coach - Dave Hakstol
Ass. Coach - Brad Shaw

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Todd Nelson coached the Oilers so Staois would know him well. Players coach, players love him and big chunk of the Oilers locker room wanted him back after his part season. Winner, from Prince Albert which means something. Has a bit of a Dad in Vegas vibe.

He’s going to be the next Bruce Boudreau without the white stuff around his lips. AHL winner who can do it in the NHL

Also makes sense because of the timing, Hershey in the playoffs and all.

If Todd Nelson is the guy, I’m all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Todd Nelson coached the Oilers so Staois would know him well. Players coach, players love him and big chunk of the Oilers locker room wanted him back after his part season. Winner, from Prince Albert which means something. Has a bit of a Dad in Vegas vibe.

He’s going to be the next Bruce Boudreau without the white stuff around his lips. AHL winner who can do it in the NHL

Also makes sense because of the timing, Hershey in the playoffs and all.

If Todd Nelson is the guy, I’m all in.
Staios was in Toronto when Nelson coached the oilers

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If Todd Nelson is the guy then that's just disappointing. It would be yet another coach who has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Just like DJ, just like Boucher, just like Cameron, just like MacLean. It's kind of ridiculous the last time we hired a coach with a strong NHL reputation is Bryan Murray.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
If Todd Nelson is the guy then that's just disappointing. It would be yet another coach who has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level. Just like DJ, just like Boucher, just like Cameron, just like MacLean. It's kind of ridiculous the last time we hired a coach with a strong NHL reputation is Bryan Murray.
I don’t think it makes much sense for Staios to carry the baggage of the previous regime into this coaching hire.

I think experience is a plus and should be a factor, but it shouldn’t automatically disqualify anyone else.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Staios was in Toronto when Nelson coached the oilers

True but simply by definition he would know his coaching by working for Toronto and knowing NHL things, his best friends are all through that Edmonton world - Nelson also coached lots of current players like RNH, Hall etc so Staois would have a good review of his coaching from current star players and franchise defining guys

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don’t think it makes much sense for Staios to carry the baggage of the previous regime into this coaching hire.

I think experience is a plus and should be a factor, but it shouldn’t automatically disqualify anyone else.

To add to this, Berube, Evason etc just don’t get me that excited. I don’t think they have a magic formula, I think the most important thing is the right coach not the most experienced one (and a goalie)

Reactions: Duncstar

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
As a fan it’s really hard to determine who is the best coach available. Is it possible the best coach in the league is on the last place team and the worst coach on the champs? I'd think that's possible. But it’s very difficult for us to know who is best to take a young team and develop it to contender status. They would have to share their plan and thinking. We'd have to have a measure of the man.

But all we have to go on as fans is how much experience do they have. So we look at the experience and winning records of each coach and think the most experience with the best team records is the obvious choice. What other metric can we use? But I would hope smart management would be more diligent and selective than that.

Looking at the best coaches available right now, are any of them likely to choose a last place team or are they more likely to choose a team best set to win. And then afterwards, when they are fired, we will all look at their record and say -yeah we need that coach.

It was often the coach that was on a team that had the greatest change in standings position from the previous year that is awarded the Jack Adams. Then the next year he is fired. Maybe the record isn’t so meaningful when judging coaches. But i dont know what else to use.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

His boss is carrying the baggage from his junior hockey team, so this wouldn't be too unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad