RD Lassi Thomson (2019, 19th, OTT; claimed by ANA; claimed by OTT)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Probably Olle Alsing, he is the better of the two.

The other one is 1995 born, the other 2000 born, the 1995 born is playing his 6th pro year, the 2000 born his 1st.
2000 born is mid-1st round pick, the 1995, undrafted, 2000 born is one of the better d-man at the upcoming World Juniors
for a team that has won 3 gold medals in last 6 WJC.

Alsing could be the choice here, but not because he is the better of the two, but because he is the one who is more likely available.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
The other one is 1995 born, the other 2000 born, the 1995 born is playing his 6th pro year, the 2000 born his 1st.
2000 born is mid-1st round pick, the 1995, undrafted, 2000 born is one of the better d-man at the upcoming World Juniors
for a team that has won 3 gold medals in last 6 WJC.

Alsing could be the choice here, but not because he is the better of the two, but because he is the one who is more likely available.
I did not write that Alsing was the better prospect, Thomson clearly is the better prospect and talent. What i wrote is that Alsing is the better of the two. And he is right now. Nothing weird, he is 4 years older.

Last edited:

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
He certainly didn't have a good showing in the u20 tournament. One can see maybe some kind of glimpse of a potential, but for now it seems like a Ristolainen-lite...and I don't know if that's very good at all.
I think you’re spot on.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
He certainly didn't have a good showing in the u20 tournament. One can see maybe some kind of glimpse of a potential, but for now it seems like a Ristolainen-lite...and I don't know if that's very good at all.
He did not but I think he tried to hard.
To me it felt from it from the start.
He made misstakes that I did not see him do in Liiga games and about same amount of both.

I would not make to mutch of junior games in overall.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
As a Sens fan I am definitely a bit worried about the type of defender he will become. We've got Thomson and Jacob Bernard-Docker as blue-chip right-hand D and JBD looks like a much more polished version of Thomson.

That said, I remember just how bad Matt Dumba looked at the WJC's...arguably one of the worst performances I've ever seen...and he turned out pretty good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a Sens fan I am definitely a bit worried about the type of defender he will become. We've got Thomson and Jacob Bernard-Docker as blue-chip right-hand D and JBD looks like a much more polished version of Thomson.

That said, I remember just how bad Matt Dumba looked at the WJC's...arguably one of the worst performances I've ever seen...and he turned out pretty good.

Great point about Dumba, similar style game to Thomson. Was dissapointed by his performance in the WJC not seeing him on the first pp with that shot of his was a little shocking.

I think the sens will take their time with him he will likely get a full year in the AHL next year maybe two.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
My biggest issue with Thomson going into the draft last year was his IQ in a pressured situation both with and without the puck. He has all the tools, worried about the toolbox and the WJC is helping cement so far. Obviously he’s still extremely young and has time to grow, mature and develop but when it comes to how u see/feel and think the game, it’s a lot harder to develop that aspect than it is skating/physical things.

That being said Bernard-Docker is looking like a very good Ottawa prospect. Could see him as a fantastic right handed complement to chabot or brannstrom in the top 4 moving forward

Reactions: Hale The Villain

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Did you have the opportunity to watch him much this season? His shot is great but in my limited viewings of him at the WJC I was incredibly dissapointed. How was his play away from the puck and his ability to break it out?

Only SM liiga team what i follow is HIFK ( i'm HIFK fan ).
But mainly my attention is more in NBA basketball and Chicago Bulls
( this explains to my nick in here ) than hockey.

So i don't have opinions of Thomson's SM liiga season.
But i can comment that how Thomson played U20 WJC's.

Thomson was Finland's captain in U20 WJC's and he didn't have so good tournament.
There was moments and games when i seriously thought
what a hell Thomson is doing in that Finnish U20 WJC team.

Thomson was too often undisciplined and took too much idiotic penalties.
In powerplay he was used a shooter and scorers roles ( thanks to his shot )
but he couldn't score much goals.

Mostly all Thomson's shots missed goal net or goalie took easy save
or opposite teams PK unit blocked them.

Thomson needs to understand that when he's a leader ( captain or alternate captain )
he can't sit so much into penalty box and take so many idiotic penalties
which can cost game or games for his team.

Thomson has potential to play in NHL someday.
But how good he'll be there and what type NHL career he could have
that's something what nobody can't say now.
Only time and future tells that what Senators got in Thomson.

It's very possible Thomson is not next Erik Karlsson or Cale Makar ( nobody is ).
But if he can pan out and be that player what Sami Vatanen is ( OK NHL puck moving dman )
that would be good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad