RD Lassi Thomson (2019, 19th, OTT; claimed by ANA; claimed by OTT)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You don't see it in that highlight video but the area I think he has really improved in is closing ice on attackers. He doesn't given up a lot of room when defending and leans on the opposition pretty hard. Still have some issues with his decision making but he has been getting better. Comes across as a player who takes instruction well.

Reactions: Bileur and Senscore

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
So how good was Thomson in AHL last season? What's his current projection? (3rd pair, 2nd pair, Not NHL defenseman, etc.)

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
So how good was Thomson in AHL last season? What's his current projection? (3rd pair, 2nd pair, Not NHL defenseman, etc.)

the coaching staff in Belleville has done some awesome work with Lassi. I was very down on him as a prospect until last season. Completely changed my opinion of him and what his potential is. I think he could be a solid top 4 guy or a great bottom pairing guy with a heavy shot. He'll be a valuable NHLer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Skating and gap closing was really really strong last year when he was called up. Probably the most important aspect of defending the way the NHL is going. I think if he continues to progress he can be a 2nd pair 2nd pp 2nd pk type d man.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Last time I saw Thomson play in Liiga, he sucked massively. Looked like a Mestis defenseman. Interesting to now hear such positive opinions about him. I guess that shows that don't lose hope on a young player too quickly.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Last time I saw Thomson play in Liiga, he sucked massively. Looked like a Mestis defenseman. Interesting to now hear such positive opinions about him. I guess that shows that don't lose hope on a young player too quickly.

a lot of Sens fans weren't expecting much from him. especially after his world juniors, but he's putting in the work to fix the weaker parts of his game, and the results have been positive to say the least. Seems like a real hard working kid

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What happened? Didn't he look pretty decent at the NHL level in 21-22 season? Never liked him but thought Ottawa could even get a draft pick or something in a trade.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
It appears he has been surpassed by both Kleven his undrafted countryman Matinpalo.

Looking like Matinpalo could be the #6-7 guy this year while Kleven could sent down as the primary callup due to waiver exemption. Simply no room for Thomson. Thomson is RHD and only 4 years out of being drafted in the first round so I imagine someone claims him.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot of teams would probably rather claim a meat and potatoes guy for extra depth. Thomson has some above average tools but his overall game is nowhere near where it should be for him to be much of an option at the moment, and also his upside is questionable despite where he was drafted.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The choice was very bad for me (ranked 40 in my list). I rated it D. But Heinola (which would have been my choice) won't necessarily do better.

No regrets. It's less disgusting than choosing Boucher in 10.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
The choice was very bad for me (ranked 40 in my list). I rated it D. But Heinola (which would have been my choice) won't necessarily do better.

No regrets. It's less disgusting than choosing Boucher in 10.
Literally heartbreaking watching seeing the remaining draft picks and seeing all the prospects fall off one after another. Ottawa literally had the first pick after the tier drop off.

York
Caufield
Newhook
Krebs
Harley

Ottawa

Then they passed on Kaliyev and Brink for Pinto and grabbed Soogard. It kind of worked out there though.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Literally heartbreaking watching seeing the remaining draft picks and seeing all the prospects fall off one after another. Ottawa literally had the first pick after the tier drop off.

York
Caufield
Newhook
Krebs
Harley

Ottawa

Then they passed on Kaliyev and Brink for Pinto and grabbed Soogard. It kind of worked out there though.

Heinola and Kaliyev were the players at the top of my list, position 19. Sogaard had been catastrophic in the junior tournament and exposed his limitations. I preferred Konovalov. I have a very poor assessment of Ottawa's 2019, 2021 and 2023 draft. There is a functioning problem at the decision-making level. One or more people have too much ego and seek to hit home runs that don't work rather than make logical decisions. The Tyler Boucher pick in 10 was inexplicable. Skip past Cole Sillinger and Jasper Wallstedt. Terrible.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Man has Ottawa screwed the pooch on some of these picks. Logan Brown, Lassi Thomson, Tyler Boucher are first round picks they absolutely whiffed on and could have helped for their rebuild and with this current core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad