RD Lassi Thomson (2019, 19th, OTT; claimed by ANA; claimed by OTT)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Sens fans are worried because Thompson gives Codi Ceci vibes.

Aka big shot, but poor IQ.

Except Ceci was far better at the same age on both ends of the ice.

I will say this about Lassi though - the kid is mean. He has no problem getting physical, and if Ceci were willing to throw around his linebacker-type frame like Lassi he wouldn't be nearly as terrible.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Except Ceci was far better at the same age on both ends of the ice.

I will say this about Lassi though - the kid is mean. He has no problem getting physical, and if Ceci were willing to throw around his linebacker-type frame like Lassi he wouldn't be nearly as terrible.

The big issue with Ceci was that his IQ never progressed whatsoever . Its same in the NHL as it was in the OHL. He could get away with it playing junior but he's repeatedly exposed at the NHL level.

Hopefully Lassi can improve or otherwise hes destined to be a bottom pair guy

Reactions: Pinto Bean

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The big issue with Ceci was that his IQ never progressed whatsoever . Its same in the NHL as it was in the OHL. He could get away with it playing junior but he's repeatedly exposed at the NHL level.

Hopefully Lassi can improve or otherwise hes destined to be a bottom pair guy
You’re never going to be able to improve your hockey IQ.

You can learn systems, but I.Q’s not an area you can really improve as a prospect or player. It’s not like skating, shooting, strength, etc.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

You can learn systems, but I.Q’s not an area you can really improve as a prospect or player. It’s not like skating, shooting, strength, etc.

Zibanejad is example A that in some cases it can improve.

I agree its rare but does happen

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Zibanejad is example A that in some cases it can improve.

I agree its rare but does happen
Zibanejad was never a low IQ player. He was a defensively responsible 2C in Ottawa that was being carried down by a total anchor in Bobby Ryan. That’s tough for and young centre any he managed 50 points.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Zibanejad was never a low IQ player. He was a defensively responsible 2C in Ottawa that was being carried down by a total anchor in Bobby Ryan. That’s tough for and young centre any he managed 50 points.

Agree to disagree here. His decision making was awful his first few years in Ottawa.

I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Hedman is a really good example. He wasn't great his first few seasons and then it all came together for him.

I was in the small (tiny) camp that believed in Ceci while he was a Sen. After watching him this past season with the Leafs, I've officially given up hope that he'll become a top four d-man. He definitely struggles with the speed of the NHL game.

AS for Lassi, he has speed and a great shot. I think he probably takes way too many risky chances right now. He'll have to cut that out but he's undeniably talented. I watched him at the Sens development camp in 2019 and his moves brought people out of their seats. We'll see.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Lassi Thomson is the modern version of Sami Salo and we'll take that. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but Cody Ceci is a terrible comparable. Heck I'd accept Weircoch before Ceci in a style comparison.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Lassi Thomson is the modern version of Sami Salo and we'll take that. Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular but Cody Ceci is a terrible comparable. Heck I'd accept Weircoch before Ceci in a style comparison.
Sami Salo was a really really smart defender. Not sure he's a good comparable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hunh? Thomson plays nothing like Wiercioch they are polar opposites. I see lots of Ceci, hopefully his game can progress, I dont have alot of faith but the sens have nothing but time so if a player develops late we will know, i dont think they are screwing anyone up by rushing them. They have so many picks some players are bound to bust and some are gonna be home runs. Cant win em all, I wont hold my breath on Thomson but if he works out then great.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl

it definitely can, the mind is a muscle than can be work over and over and over. a lot of players have worked their hockey IQ

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
it definitely can, the mind is a muscle than can be work over and over and over. a lot of players have worked their hockey IQ
It definitely can’t.

You can learn systems, you’re not learning hockey sense. Guys can learn how to play their game and what needs to be done in a system, and that helps them big time.

Hockey sense is what makes the elite. NHLers have been practicing hours a day since they were 14 years old, and they still either have it or they don’t.

Reactions: Ippenator

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
It definitely can’t.

You can learn systems, you’re not learning hockey sense. Guys can learn how to play their game and what needs to be done in a system, and that helps them big time.

Hockey sense is what makes the elite. NHLers have been practicing hours a day since they were 14 years old, and they still either have it or they don’t.

Hockey IQ = Critical thinking

Can people work and develops their critical thinking ?

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
It definitely can’t.

Agree with this. You can teach awareness to a certain extent, but it's on a reminder basis. The elite players in the league don't have to think about executing a play, they get it done. Doesn't mean it's an end-all to being a good player, but a key to being elite.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad