RD Lassi Thomson (2019, 19th, OTT; claimed by ANA; claimed by OTT)

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
This guy was an absolute steal in Finnish fantasy hockey. Cheap as milk for someone with a shot like that who will get plenty of PP time.

I take it he's not on the same powerplay with Oskari Laaksonen. Which one of them is on the #1 PP unit?

Thomson played on the top unit with Leino and Suomi. He played 4:34 on the PP to Laaksonen's 3:25. Tappara took six minor penalties so Ilves had 7:49 of total PP time and :55 of 5 on 3 (Thomson played all :55).

Laaksonen played substantially more at even strength, but by total TOI, Laaksonen played 9:00, 6:52 and 6:40 by period, whereas Thomson played 5:47, 6:49 and 8:07.

Reactions: Lepardi

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Feel like he’s been a bit under the radar compared to his fellow Finn Heinola just because Heinola is still shining here in North America but sounds every bit as good and impactful as a prospect.

Kind of funny that last year Heinola was in Finland and Thomson in NA but they have reversed this year.

I suppose there is still a chance the Jets send Heinola back to Europe like the Coyotes have with Soderstrom? I’d love to see how Heinola and Thomson fare when playing in the same league. I suppose worse case scenario that’s the NHL in a year or two though!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The Sens have done very well in the past with finding stud D-men in the mid 1st round (Karlsson and Chabot). Lassi Thompson is putting himself in a great position to be the next one; hes another late riser with a huge toolbox and room to grow. That big shot of his is what scouts raved about, and all indications so far are that its even better than advertised.

Its very possible that the Sens could have the premier blueline in the NHL sometime in the next few years with Chabot, Brannstrom, Thompson, Bernard-Docker all being 1st round picks that are trending in the right direction towards their potential.

We also have Wolanin, Lajoie and Jaros, all of whom should at least end up as good bottom pairing guys. Zaitsev/DeMelo will also slowly move down the depth chart, which is a very nice luxury to have.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yep, and don't forget Bernard-Docker :popcorn:

Wolanin has looked very promising as well, both in the AHL (31 pts in 40 gms) and in the NHL (5g 10a 15pts in 35 gms)

Chabot - Thomson
Brannstrom - Bernard-Docker
Wolanin - DeMelo/Jaros/Zaitsev
Lajoie/Tychonick/Guenette

I cant wait.

I reeeally cant wait to see Thomson on the PP with Chabot/Brannstrom. A rocket from a left side RD is exactly what we need.

Reactions: Sensinitis

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot - Thomson
Brannstrom - Bernard-Docker
Wolanin - DeMelo/Jaros/Zaitsev
Lajoie/Tychonick/Guenette

I cant wait.

I reeeally cant wait to see Thomson on the PP with Chabot/Brannstrom. A rocket from a left side RD is exactly what we need.

Everyone sleeping on Wolanin. Shown more pure skill than anyone outside of Chabot.

Has anyone watched Thomson? Hows his game away from the puck? How are his outlet passes?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Everyone sleeping on Wolanin. Shown more pure skill than anyone outside of Chabot.

Has anyone watched Thomson? Hows his game away from the puck? How are his outlet passes?
Wolanin's injury this year really stung. I thought he was ready to step into a top 4 role this season but it will be a lot harder now. Still think he has nice top 4 upside.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wolanin's injury this year really stung. I thought he was ready to step into a top 4 role this season but it will be a lot harder now. Still think he has nice top 4 upside.

I am a little confused, why would he not be able to do it now if he was before? He was a stud down the stretch last year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I am a little confused, why would he not be able to do it now if he was before? He was a stud down the stretch last year.

We have a new coach and by the time he's back, I suspect Brannstrom will have solidified himself more in DJs books. If Wolanin was not hurt, I don't think Brannstrom joins the team full time until the new year. Add in the rust that you accumulate from sitting through camp and the start of the season, and its a lot harder to jump right into a top 4 spot than it is at the start of the season. Intensity ramps up, guys get better, they get more familiar and comfortable with the system and they gain more trust from their coaches as the season goes on.

Its the same reason why you can add a player like Tomas Tatar to your team at the deadline and have him not play well enough to even dress, but when you trade him elsewhere in the offseason, he can settle in nicely and put up 1st line numbers (and that doesn't even account for the injury rust that Wolanin will need to shake off).

Its not a critique of the player, its just how things work. And just because I think Wolanin will likely be our 3rd best LD, doesn't mean I don't think he will have top 4 + PP ability.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We have a new coach and by the time he's back, I suspect Brannstrom will have solidified himself more in DJs books. If Wolanin was not hurt, I don't think Brannstrom joins the team full time until the new year. Add in the rust that you accumulate from sitting through camp and the start of the season, and its a lot harder to jump right into a top 4 spot than it is at the start of the season. Intensity ramps up, guys get better, they get more familiar and comfortable with the system and they gain more trust from their coaches as the season goes on.

Its the same reason why you can add a player like Tomas Tatar to your team at the deadline and have him not play well enough to even dress, but when you trade him elsewhere in the offseason, he can settle in nicely and put up 1st line numbers (and that doesn't even account for the injury rust that Wolanin will need to shake off).

Its not a critique of the player, its just how things work. And just because I think Wolanin will likely be our 3rd best LD, doesn't mean I don't think he will have top 4 + PP ability.

Ok fair enough, I think Wolanin is hands down the 2nd most skilled d man on the team and likely top 4/5 on the roster I dont see any scenario where he doesnt come back and play. Brannstrom has been pretty up and down, it might serve him well to get some number 1 d man time in Belleville and it might help with their playoff push too. Good problem to have.

Excited for Thomson and what the sens D core could be. Would love to hear some input from someone who has had the opportunity to watch him consistently.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I haven't watched him this year but my impression from last year in Kelowna was of a good skater and puckhandler with a lethal NHL-calibre shot ... but who was pretty lacking in IQ in both ends of the rink and a bit undersized for an NHL defender.

Agreed on Wolanin - I have the Utica AHL package to watch Canuck prospects so saw a few Belleville games last year, and he was arguably the most impressive prospect defender I saw at that level.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Yep, and don't forget Bernard-Docker :popcorn:

Wolanin has looked very promising as well, both in the AHL (31 pts in 40 gms) and in the NHL (5g 10a 15pts in 35 gms)

You are right !
There is a lot of exciting things coming for Sens fans imo. (Even more if the Sharks suck)
As a guy that lives close to Ottawa i'm really happy for them.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
He left game after 28 seconds toi.
Hold his arm and side.

I tried to find more information but did not find any.
Thank you. I figured he was injured but there hasn’t been any news or anything about the extent of the injury. Hopefully it’s not too serious, he was off to a pretty good start

Reactions: tellermine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad