RD Lassi Thomson (2019, 19th, OTT; claimed by ANA; claimed by OTT)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Has he signed a contract in Finland yet? I sure hope he can reverse that decision and go back to Kelowna if they sell a bit of their future and load up for a Memorial Cup. If they are going to be poor again, then by all means go to Finland.

If my math is correct since he's a 2000 born he is eligible for the AHL after another season in the dub. I'd like to see him continue to learn the N/A game especially as it concerns to his defensive positioning.

Even 2020 draft prospect Anton Lundell is already liiga regular in HIFK.
So i don't see any obstacles why not Thomson can't be same in Ilves.

Karri Kivi is good coach to young player like Thomson.
You don't need to be worried of Thomson he will do fine next season in liiga.

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
And I have understood that he has already a contract with Ilves for the next season. Just not sure what kind of a nature that contract has, so could it be reversed in some situation? But I highly doubt it anyway is possible that he has any more of junior seasons in either North America or in Finland.

Thomson's contract with Ilves lasts until 2021, with an option for the 2021-22 season. Pretty sure he has the right to go to North America before the contract ends:

Ilves iski pöytään kovia sopimuksia – päävalmentaja Karri Kivi puhkuu innoissaan: ”Hirmuinen määrä nuorta talenttia”

Thomson said in the Tampere newspaper Aamulehti prior to the draft that he will be playing for Ilves in 2019-2020 no matter what his draft position is. Can they fit both Buffalo prospect Oskari Laaksonen and Thomson in the #1 powerplay unit, as they're both right-handed shots?

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
He will get a lot of chances and he has a chance to play in his junior career team in mens league. He has a great coach who isn't afraid to give opportunities to young players. Ilves is an excellent team for a young player.

And if he shows he might have potential to play at the IIHF Worlds in Switzerland in May, he will have plenty of time to convince Jukka Jalonen he's worthy of a roster sport by playing in all of Finland's pretournament games from early April on. Ilves can always be trusted not to go anywhere in the playoffs.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks for the reports guys. Ottawa hasn't had too many (I think none) Finns recently so I am pretty unfamiliar with the Liiga. I also read that a lot of rinks are hybrid Olympic / NA sized rinks. That would ease his adjustment when he comes back to N/A eventually if true.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Thanks for the reports guys. Ottawa hasn't had too many (I think none) Finns recently so I am pretty unfamiliar with the Liiga. I also read that a lot of rinks are hybrid Olympic / NA sized rinks. That would ease his adjustment when he comes back to N/A eventually if true.
There isn't many better places for him to develop than Ilves. :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Oh, and one thing that Karri Kivi was really enthusiasticly praising Thomson for was his very hard and accurate passes. Sure it means that the receivers have to have some hands to control those kind passes, but if the passes are usually very accurate and he can release them also quickly, it can be quite an asset for any team that he plays for.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
This guy reminds me of Klingberg in so many ways. He even looks like him lmao. And Klinger is my favourite non finnish D by a mile so i'm very high on this guy.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada

Markus Nurmi was the last in 2016 I believe.

Reactions: derriko

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This guy reminds me of Klingberg in so many ways. He even looks like him lmao. And Klinger is my favourite non finnish D by a mile so i'm very high on this guy.
I don’t see that much similarities between their playing styles and best abilities. Klingberg is a very high profile dangler defenceman. He can also pass very nicely and quickly but he doesn’t pass that much with long and hard passes. He is most of all about exceptional hands, great offensive IQ and very good waterbug type of skating. But he isn’t that much about a booming shot and making really long and hard passes accurately. Those things are exactly Thomson’s bread and butter, but he isn’t really that much of a dangler or a clear 4th forward like Klingberg is. I mean, he can definitely dangle also, but he isn’t doing it nearly as much as Klingberg does and in such small space as Klingberg often does. Thomson does it more when he gets close to full speed on the open ice.

Sure there is really good potential in Thomson too, but I don’t see him becoming a similar player that Klingberg is. Even if Thomson will become a real star player at some point, he will most probably be quite different from Klingberg. Also Klingberg is 186 cm tall and weighs only about 80 kg so he is really quite a waterbug by body type, while Thomson is only 182 cm tall but weighs already 86 kg as a youngster, so he is much sturdier built by his body type than Klingberg. Sure they are both blonds and come from Nordic neighbouring countries, but outside of those facts I don’t see that much similarities between them.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I don’t see that much similarities between their playing styles and best abilities. Klingberg is a very high profile dangler defenceman. He can also pass very nicely and quickly but he doesn’t pass that much with long and hard passes. He is most of all about exceptional hands, great offensive IQ and very good waterbug type of skating. But he isn’t that much about a booming shot and making really long and hard passes accurately. Those things are exactly Thomson’s bread and butter, but he isn’t really that much of a dangler or a clear 4th forward like Klingberg is. I mean, he can definitely dangle also, but he isn’t doing it nearly as much as Klingberg does and in such small space as Klingberg often does. Thomson does it more when he gets close to full speed on the open ice.

Sure there is really good potential in Thomson too, but I don’t see him becoming a similar player that Klingberg is. Even if Thomson will become a real star player at some point, he will most probably be quite different from Klingberg. Also Klingberg is 186 cm tall and weighs only about 80 kg so he is really quite a waterbug by body type, while Thomson is only 182 cm tall but weighs already 86 kg as a youngster, so he is much sturdier built by his body type than Klingberg. Sure they are both blonds and come from Nordic neighbouring countries, but outside of those facts I don’t see that much similarities between them.

It really sounds like youve only seen about 2 highlight clips of Klingberg if that's how you describe him. He is much more than just a dangler and his shot is better that youre saying. And Klinger blonde? He is more redhead lol i really doubt you know what your'e talkung about.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It really sounds like youve only seen about 2 highlight clips of Klingberg if that's how you describe him. He is much more than just a dangler and his shot is better that youre saying. And Klinger blonde? He is more redhead lol i really doubt you know what your'e talkung about.
I have been watching a lot of Dallas games every season for already several years. Something around 80-100 games during the last four seasons. And Dallas was in fact one of my favorite teams already in the 90’s, when you were most probably not even born yet. At least your style of always claiming that someone hasn’t really watched a player play, if the poster happens to disagree with your opinions on a player, hints after all of you most probably being still quite young.

And no, Klingberg isn’t a real redhead for sure, but you can say that he has a hint of that shade in his hair color, but he is having still quite much of the Swedish blond hair color too. It’s not really that uncommon to have a bit of a mixture like that, especially with some Swedish people.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensontheRush

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I have been watching a lot of Dallas games every season for already several years Something around 80-100 games during the last four seasons. And they were in fact one of my favorite teams already in the 90’s, when you were most probably not even born yet. At least your style of always claiming that someone hasn’t really watched a player play, if the poster happens to disagree with your opinions on a player, hints after all of you most probably being still quite young.

And no, Klingberg isn’t a real redhead for sure, but you can say that he has a hint of that shade in his hair color, but he is having still quite much of the Swedish blond hair color too. It’s not really that uncommon to have a bit of a mixture like that, especially with some Swedish people.

I'm over 25yo and have watched hockey since i was a kid. Maybe you are older but i sure don't act like i know everything about everyone and i sure as hell don't try too much to be someone special with all kinds of opinions that don't even make sence. Unlike someone else. Youv'e spread way too much misinformation on these boards so i might have a soar taste for your "observations"

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm over 25yo and have watched hockey since i was a kid. Maybe you are older but i sure don't act like i know everything about everyone and i sure as hell don't try too much to be someone special with all kinds of opinions that don't even make sence. Unlike someone else. Youv'e spread way too much misinformation on these boards so i might have a soar taste for your "observations"
No, you react this same way to almost any poster who clearly disagrees with you. Happens here constantly and happens also constantly on the Finnish equavalent board Jatkoaika.com. You are well known for your behaviour Mr. Rambokala or should I call you Paul Maurice?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No, you react this same way to almost any poster who clearly disagrees with you. Happens here constantly and happens also constantly on the Finnish equavalent board Jatkoaika.com. You are well known for your behaviour Mr. Rambokala or should I call you Paul Maurice?

I'm neither actually. And i react that way to posters who claim they know shit that actually don't.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

Nevermind it's just i have a hard time taking you seriously after your claims on other threads got abit overboard. I wish you learned your lesson. I don't wanna fight with you at the bottom line.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Nevermind it's just i have a hard time taking you seriously after your claims on other threads got abit overboard. I wish you learned your lesson. I don't wanna fight with you at the bottom line.
Then maybe you yourself learn to debate about the subject with contra arguments instead of always attacking the poster personally when he happens to disagree with your post and opinions? Just say that you disagree and how you see things. It’s really not that difficult after all. How you see me as a poster or how I see you as a poster is absolutely irrelevant on these boards, as long as neither of us gets personal.

And I can assure you that I will never get personal at you or anyone else, unless you do it first against me. You know, I kind of believe in the Code of Hammurabi, so it’s not my strengths to just turn my other cheek and take insults or personal attacks without striking back, if someone goes too far with them. But I can assure you that if you keep it at only countering opinions with your opinions on the subject, I will always keep it like that too.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He was excellent for Sens in their development camp. Check out this excellent piece of work. He's number 60. Smooth as hell. Literal shades of EK/Klingberg with his stance, flow and decision making

He really has the Klingberg style and potential with his shot being so powerful and accurate too. And he reminds me of Laine's shooting technique in a mix with Klingbergs. Not saying it's a guarantee at all it's just my short observation since discovering he even existed at the draft. This could be a very special offensive kindof player you got here.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

weems

Jul 3, 2008
First time watching him in this Finland/SUI game and hes very impressive.

Great skater with lots of poise and a big shot.

I can definitely see the Klingberg comparison.

Ottawa got a really good prospect at #19.

#6 was also quite good. The two of them controlled the entire game when they were on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad