RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The fact that he's a RHD with mobility and size ups his value. Even if he only amounts to a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener, he'll be in demand because of the scarcity of the position.

Agreed. He'll be no later than an early second round pick, more likely he goes in the first.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is being a RHD an advantage anymore? Seems to be more of them, and many teams need LHD more than RHD.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is being a RHD an advantage anymore? Seems to be more of them, and many teams need LHD more than RHD.

Still an advantage. Especially in this draft. Who is really ahead of Barron at RHD? Drysdale and Schneider, and then he's maybe on par with Niemela and Grans. Very slim pickings.

Teams that need to restock at RHD:

Ottawa, L.A., Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo, Montreal, Chicago, Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Philadelphia and Vegas?

Still more demand than supply.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Still an advantage. Especially in this draft. Who is really ahead of Barron at RHD? Drysdale and Schneider, and then he's maybe on par with Niemela and Grans. Very slim pickings.

Ottawa, L.A., Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo, Montreal, Chicago, Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, maybe Philadelphia and Vegas?

The fact remains that there are simply less NHL quality RHD available in the hockey playing population. I don't know the exact nerd numbers, but there is a smaller pool of talent to find a RH d-man than a LH one.

Generally, it seems like you have to invest a premium pick (1st or 2nd) in order to find a good RHD. There are always exceptions, but you're less likely to find a top quality RHD in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round like you could with a LHD.

For the Islanders, all of the RHD's were either 1st rounders (Pulock, Dobson) or 2nd rounders (Mayfield, Boychuk was originally a Colorado 2nd rounder, and Wilde). Pelech (3rd), Toews (4th), Leddy (1st), and Greene (was originally an undrafted FA) are the LHD.

I am not as familiar with other teams, but I imagine it's a similar dynamic. It's simple supply and demand.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Flyers need a young high end RHD, but I could see on LHD sliding over to the right side at some point too.

Provy, Sanheim, Ghost, Hagg, Zamula, York, Millman, Hogberg, Morin, Ginning,

Nisky(old), Braun(old), Friedman, Attard, Wylie, St,Ivany

But given that post expansion, assuming Ghost is traded ot taken, they Flyers could still have:

Provy Sanheim
Zamula Myers
York Friedman
Hagg/Hogberg

I think the Flyers go after a forward with their 1st rounder given the overall depth on D they have. But again, they could use a higher end RHD in the system.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Washington also after trading Niskanen, losing Priskie to FA and with Gudas all but certain to be allowed to walk. There's plenty of LD, some of which can play the right side, but no righties to speak of in the system currently and Jensen remains a work in progress.

That said, no need to veer away from BPA if they aren't bullish on a RD's upside and they could add by other means or later in the draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The fact remains that there are simply less NHL quality RHD available in the hockey playing population. I don't know the exact nerd numbers, but there is a smaller pool of talent to find a RH d-man than a LH one.

Generally, it seems like you have to invest a premium pick (1st or 2nd) in order to find a good RHD. There are always exceptions, but you're less likely to find a top quality RHD in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round like you could with a LHD.

For the Islanders, all of the RHD's were either 1st rounders (Pulock, Dobson) or 2nd rounders (Mayfield, Boychuk was originally a Colorado 2nd rounder, and Wilde). Pelech (3rd), Toews (4th), Leddy (1st), and Greene (was originally an undrafted FA) are the LHD.

I am not as familiar with other teams, but I imagine it's a similar dynamic. It's simple supply and demand.

I wonder if that's changing at all. WRT the 'nerd numbers' I'm sure someone's looked at NHL LHD/RHD #s vs. upcoming LHD/RHD #s. Sure feels like a lot more righties are around these days.

As an RHD comparison the Kings have Doughty (1st, obviously), Walker (UDFA), and Roy (7th rd) and currently have a few in the system in Spence, Strand, Durzi, and LaDue.

LHD keep in mind they just had outgoing Forbort, Martinez, Muzzin, and are likely to have outgoing Hutton and Ryan. So it would be Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague, MacDermid, and in the system Cole Hults, Nousiainen, Phillips, Brickley.

Pretty balanced for the most part, imo. Maybe slanted towards LHD if you count the outgoing guys but as you can see my perception of incoming RHD is influenced by younger draftees.

Regardless, our forum knows how high I am on Barron and want to add him to that!

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder if that's changing at all. WRT the 'nerd numbers' I'm sure someone's looked at NHL LHD/RHD #s vs. upcoming LHD/RHD #s. Sure feels like a lot more righties are around these days.

As an RHD comparison the Kings have Doughty (1st, obviously), Walker (UDFA), and Roy (7th rd) and currently have a few in the system in Spence, Strand, Durzi, and LaDue.

LHD keep in mind they just had outgoing Forbort, Martinez, Muzzin, and are likely to have outgoing Hutton and Ryan. So it would be Anderson, Bjornfot, Clague, MacDermid, and in the system Cole Hults, Nousiainen, Phillips, Brickley.

Pretty balanced for the most part, imo. Maybe slanted towards LHD if you count the outgoing guys but as you can see my perception of incoming RHD is influenced by younger draftees.

Regardless, our forum knows how high I am on Barron and want to add him to that!

I am way too lazy to look up the real numbers, it's just the impression that I get. If I'm wrong then my draft preferences are out of whack as I always put a premium on RH shot players at any position. Defensemen is the position that it matters most to me. It's the same dynamic with LH pitchers in baseball. RHD's are like my LH starters.

My personal general rule of thumb is that I'll add like a point and a half for a d-man if they are a righty. So a 5 is a 6.5, a 7 is a 8.5, etc.

Not very familiar with Barron, but he gets some boosts in my book just because he is 6'2, skates really well, and is a RH shot regardless if he is legit or not. Those types are just harder to get.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
of course it will. It would be in the player's interest to reveal what the procedure he is undergoing is, or team's will assume the worst.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pronman mentioned that Barron was one of the two main names talked about for the Rangers at 22OA.

This doesn’t surprise me. His brother is one of our better prospects and might play in the NHL as soon as next season. It also might be a smoke screen to say we have interest in a prospect whose brother plays for the team already.

I don’t know what to think if 22OA is too high for Barron.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think people will think a lot more of Barrons upside after he plays this season on a Moose team with more talent and he is deployed as the number 1 defensemen the entire year. He basically screams untapped potential when I watch him play.
Just another example of why when this draft class is looked back on as very good.

I find it very strange that a sight that has turned into analytics dominant (unfortunately) has so many posters pushing back against the numbers.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I like this a lot for the Avs, with Timmins’ unfortunate run of injuries.

He was widely regarded as a top-10 pick at the start of the season and didn’t really get the chance to prove that statement right or wrong.

Reactions: EXTRAS and MaKarter

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is a great value pick for the Avs. I always liked Barron, hopefully his blood clots are behind him. If they are holy cow, Colorado is gonna have a scary D in the future.

Reactions: Dominance

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
AVs defensive roster is scary good and getting even younger.

Here are their current age.

Byram (19) - Makar (20)
Girard (21) - Timmins (20)
Graves (24) - Barron (18)

Average age is 20.33 years.

:avs
Helleson (2019 #47, RHD) is pretty decent as well.

Reactions: MaKarter

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Helleson (2019 #47, RHD) is pretty decent as well.

Barron is exactly the player the AVs needed, thought Sakic would choose another Forward. Timmins is still an unknown with the ongoing injuries. Helleson is decent, but unspectacular D+1 college season with a longer timeline. This pick can easily slide into the 2nd or 3rd lines.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad