RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
He is absolutely amazing to watch out there! Not an offensive defencemen but plays his role very well. He’s still 16 until late November and he’s put up 30 points so far. He’s one of the best defence I’ve ever seen for his age. Watched him stop 2 on 1’s, overagers going up the rush, great penalty killer, and great passer. Needs to work on his physical game, shot, and not to take slashing/hooking penalties. With that said he’s still got lots of hockey left until his draft year and he has the memorial cup and a powerful team this year! He’s gonna produce very well and I’m looking forward to seeing him improve. Really hope he can be a Top 10 draft player but could go higher up.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I was quite inpressed with this kid when I saw him live a few nights ago. He does a phenomenal job of holding the puck in. Looks like a vet out there.

I wish I had more insight, but unfortunately I had a few too many beer before/during to provide much more lol. I'll definitely be checking him out again this Season.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I wish I had more insight, but unfortunately I had a few too many beer before/during to provide much more lol. I'll definitely be checking him out again this Season.

Will it be relevant next time with the same amount of beer? :laugh:

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
4 Assists tonight! Only one of them being a secondary assist! Played very well all game. Top 10 Prospect in the 2020 draft in my opinion.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Guy is an amazing puck carrier, creates lots of offense...his skating is amazing and imo is going to be a top 10 pick in next years NHL draft...one this he has to work on though is he does not put enough strength on his passes or chipping at pucks, he has to improve his strength but all things that can be easily worked on, his IQ, skating and hands with the puck are all great.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
This kids got 3 goals 2 assists in his last 3 games with this beauty tonight. Top defenceman in the 2020 NHL Draft in my opinion obviously a little bias since I’m a Moose fan. But check this one out.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Compared to other players in the stacked stock in the 2020 NHL Draft where do you guys think Justin Barron goes in the first round? Is he your #1 D? Played a full healthy 68 games with 41 points this season and just keeps on getting better day-by-day! Thoughts?

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Compared to other players in the stacked stock in the 2020 NHL Draft where do you guys think Justin Barron goes in the first round? Is he your #1 D? Played a full healthy 68 games with 41 points this season and just keeps on getting better day-by-day! Thoughts?

Jamie Drysdale is the clear #1 D for the 2020 Draft, I don’t think that will change between now and the draft. Barron is currently my #2 D but there’s 3-4 guys that are right there knocking on the door behind him. For me he’s currently a Top 15 prospect but those are rough estimates, as most of my time is being spent on the 2019 Draft.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
If he was in the 2019 draft he would be the first d-man off the board. I don't know how he compares to Drysdale. He plays an offensive and defensive mistake free game. He's a fluid skater and a great puck rusher that hardly ever loses a board battle. Quick thinking with the puck. When Halifax is healthy he doesn't get much PP time and is a minute muncher at even strength. He needs to work on passing accuracy and developing his shot although they are quite good. To me he projects as a #1 defenceman. Whoever drafts him will probably feel like a giddy little girl.

Reactions: EnglishJet

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Likely top 10 player. Unlikely to be the first defensemen off the board with Drysdale in the 2020 draft. Some others such as Poirier, O'Rourke, Guhle, Sanderson will probably battle him for the second defensemen off the board. I think Poirier is going to make a big run up the draft boards. I think he's the only challenger to Drysdale, but he probably won't be much of a challenger because Drysdale could be the best player in the draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Not enough talk on this board around Barron...him and Drysdale are the cream of the crop for defenders for the 2020 NHL draft...Barron is one of the best skaters I have ever seen in Junior Hockey his stride and speed are 2nd to none he is a beautiful skater, his puck handling abilities and calmness when rushing the puck are both amazing as well he makes rushes that are hard for some where he will circle out of his zone right through two opposite players and he makes it so easy...he has amazing IQ, very strong passing on the rush, he plays physical, has very good defensive ability and has the skating and hands to be part of the rush, right now he is one of Halifax's top defenders in the Memorial Cup a year out of his draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I can’t express how excited I am for watching next year’s draft develop. One of the storylines I will be keeping a close eye on is the rankings of the three top CHL d-men, spread across the leagues in Guhle, Drysdale, and Barron. All are highly intelligent and outstanding skaters and have 1D potential. Right now, I think the order has to be Drysdale-Barron-Guhle, but Guhle has been buried in PA; developing well, but without the stats of the other two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I’ve watched him two years now. There’s a little bit of Bobby Orr in that kids stride. Great end to end rusher. Very complete for his age.

Reactions: Dominance

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
How does he compare to Noah Dobson at the same age?

I think he's pretty much in the same category as an elite defense prospect even though I'll admit that I liked Dobson more during his draft year than I do Barron now, but the difference isn't that big.

I feel that Dobson as a prospect had higher offensive potential (better shot, better instincts, better passing, not as good at rushing the puck) overall then than Barron does now while I favor Barron defensively from what I've seen.

For reference's sake, I think both defenders are below Byram as prospects and think Drysdale and Byram are at about the same level as far as their level of play and potential in their respective draft years. That said, I think Drysdale will be drafted lower than Byram was last year because of the tremendous quality of this year's offering in the top-end of the first round and that the team that drafts him will be very happy, just as the team that drafts Barron will be.

Drysdale and Barron are the only two defensemen in this draft class that have, in my opinion, no clear ''downside'' to their game that might hurt them at the NHL level. They are both all-around two-way defensemen that boast high upside with barely any risk at all of busting aside from injuries and that fact will make them very attractive to teams and may in fact make them both top-10 picks (even though I think Barron might slip to as low as the 15th rank if some teams prefer the high-end forwards available or Askarov).

Guys like Poirier, Guhle, O'rourke and others could also make a pretty good case for being the second defenseman taken in the 2020 draft after Drysdale, but I don't think they'll ultimately succeed unless something radically changes from now to the NHL draft and any one of those guys shows great progression.

Last edited:

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
How does he compare to Noah Dobson at the same age?

Barron is a good player but he's not in Dobson's league, not close IMO. Barron is an excellent skater but his puck game and offensive game are not close to Dobson. Dobson was a top pairing NHL projection while Barron is a 4,5,6 projection. He has really struggled so far this year, was better last year though which gives scouts hope.

Many scouts think he'll play better when Jared McIsaac returns which has just happened.

I like Barron more than McIsaac at the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad