RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He pulled a chicken move and dropped to the ice it is very dangerous for both players. Going forward he will be seeing a lot of extra dump and chase in his corner because they know he is scared.
And your right Ottawa went with Jake because they Wanted the guy who wasn’t shy of contact.
I don’t think it was a chicken move, as you say. But it does look like Drysdale injures himself (groin maybe?) trying to avoid contact. He’s a smaller guy, so avoiding big hits is part of his game.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t think it was a chicken move, as you say. But it does look like Drysdale injures himself (groin maybe?) trying to avoid contact. He’s a smaller guy, so avoiding big hits is part of his game.

Ya I understand that but look how dangerous that turned out for both players, that move is a No no that close to the boards.
And the NHL is absolutely full of guys that are going to exploit what they saw he will be tested with a serious forecheck going forward.
They need to give him a year or so to get bigger and stronger all the skill is there but being back in his own end is a dangerous place for a young smaller guy

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ya I understand that but look how dangerous that turned out for both players, that move is a No no that close to the boards.
And the NHL is absolutely full of guys that are going to exploit what they saw he will be tested with a serious forecheck going forward.
I don’t know a lot about Drysdale, other than he’s quite good. But does he have a reputation as the kind of player who would purposely submarine an opponent? To me it simply looks like he’s trying to avoid getting hit, which (as I said before) is part of his regular play because he has to to survive. This time I think he strained his groin, and more fell over on his own than actually getting hit. To be fair the kid shouldn’t be in the NHL. He needs to nature physically more.

Reactions: Kleefeld

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t know a lot about Drysdale, other than he’s quite good. But does he have a reputation as the kind of player who would purposely submarine an opponent? To me it simply looks like he’s trying to avoid getting hit, which (as I said before) is part of his regular play because he has to to survive. This time I think he strained his groin, and more fell over on his own than actually getting hit. To be fair the kid shouldn’t be in the NHL. He needs to nature physically more.

I don’t mean he tried to be dirty I just don’t know if a younger smaller player needs to be risked in a nothing season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t mean he tried to be dirty I just don’t know if a younger smaller player needs to be risked in a nothing season.
I 110% agree. He should be maturing in the AHL or junior. How many years is he away from actually having his man strength? 3?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Sanderson literally excels in defending 1v1, 2v1 rushes and shutting down the other teams top players. He has the size, skating, hockey IQ, passing and stick work to make him an ideal defender/transition player.

Drysdale easily has a leg up offensively but to say he's a better defender than Jake, yeah I'm not buying it either.

EDIT: really hope Drysdale is okay after that hit. Still love watching him play and he's been great in his short pro stint!
That appears to be what Ottawa wanted, a Lindholm shutdown 2way defender type to balance out them having an offensive Dman in Chabot.
I saw some Lindholm compares to Sanderson pre-draft.

Drysdale is more like Heiskenen or Makar.
We already have a 'Lindholm' so getting a guy with upside to be Makar is more important to the Ducks.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
This is such bullshit. Stop trolling pls.
Yeah and its not a surprise that a fan from the team that passed on Drysdale by 1 pick above him would be the one jumping on Drysdale after last nights game.
Its the same story with people who were unhappy their team passed on Zegras. They looked for anything to jump at.

The underline is that they need to throw shade at Drysdale to make them feel more confident they got Sanderson instead of him.
Same with Kings fans and having Turcotte instead of Drysdale.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
That appears to be what Ottawa wanted, a Lindholm shutdown 2way defender type to balance out them having an offensive Dman in Chabot.

We already have a 'Lindholm' so getting a guy with upside to be Makar is more important to the Ducks.
Big Drysdale fan here. But lol, Sanderson is certainly a better dman than Hampus is in every aspect of the game.

Reactions: gab6511

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I actually like Heiskanen as a comparison for Sanderson. Both are fantastic skaters, really good in their own zone, great in transition and underrated offensively. I like Makar for Drysdale. Both have the quick twitch and can fly, creative with the puck and better than people first think defensively.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The AHL is the perfect League for Drysdale at this point in time. He will be playing pro hockey but will have more time between games/fewer games to play to build up strength. He hasn’t looked out of place whatsoever with the Ducks but I wish he were spending more time in the A, especially when he’d ordinarily not be able to play there. Zegras ideally would be there as well. They both aren’t quite there IMO, but for different reasons. But I’m always biased towards the patient approach

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Senators really screwed the pooch not picking this guy.

The Senators feast on the tears of people like yours - especially if you insist on doubting how good they are at the draft table.

Laugh at the Senators and their dog diddling ways for now I guess, but if you think they would trade Sanderson for Drysdale today if given a redo, the answer is actually more solidly a no than it was on draft day.

For all the hockey lawyer/guru's out there please feel free to use this as exhibit A on why you draft players based on what they become in 5 years, and not the one they are today. Thats not how you draft.

Seriously though, bump this thread or do what you have to do in a few years time. Sanderson will be taken by 10/10 people in 5 years or less in any kind of redraft. Sanderson will play significantly more and much tougher minutes for basically the entire duration of their careers.

And while I do think that JD peaks higher offensively than Sandy for a few seasons (maybe a 50-60pt peak on the right team for JD if alll goes well), Sanderon's prime average of 40pts along with his stellar two-way play will make this an unfair discussion for JD. And it will be like comparing Ryan Suter to Ryan Elis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I don't understand why some people on here - again, let me specify, it's not Ducks fans - have to constantly berate one player in another's thread.

For reference, the only comparison we have between the two is the WJC gold medal game. Sanderson won gold and was the defender that USA leaned on to shut down Canada. I'd say he was pretty successful.
Right?? Why can't we acknowledge like they're both studs? It's like saying "Hmmm the stars really messed up not taking Makar" but they still ended up with Heiskanen. They're different players. Pretty similar situation here, Drysdale with better offensive ceiling at the moment, and Sanderson probably has the slight edge defensively. But it's all arguable.

Loved watching both in their draft years. Kinda wanted Drysdale at 5 but and give him a slight edge right now but Sanderson has really closed that gap in my opinion. I don't really have a doubt that both of these guys are going to be all-situation 1D's for their respective teams.

Wish I got to watch more of Drysdale in Anaheim. Hope he's okay after the hit the other night - the one issue with having teenagers in the NHL is that they're just less physically developed. Wait until he puts some weight on, and he won't be "chickening" out of contact like some other silly sens poster claimed.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He fell down really awkwardly last game and didn't return. But he participated in the short Ducks practice yesterday. Will see if he plays, but so far looks like it will not be anything serious

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Right?? Why can't we acknowledge like they're both studs? It's like saying "Hmmm the stars really messed up not taking Makar" but they still ended up with Heiskanen. They're different players. Pretty similar situation here, Drysdale with better offensive ceiling at the moment, and Sanderson probably has the slight edge defensively. But it's all arguable.

Loved watching both in their draft years. Kinda wanted Drysdale at 5 but and give him a slight edge right now but Sanderson has really closed that gap in my opinion. I don't really have a doubt that both of these guys are going to be all-situation 1D's for their respective teams.

But here is the rub from the Ottawa fans. That statement is entirely not true. He tops out as a #2 D in Ottawa in a defensive pairing. And if Brannstrom becomes as good as the team hopes (which seems doubtful at the moment) then Sanderson is at best 3rd pairing. A lot of fans saw Drysdale as the near perfect accompaniment to Chabot, and it is obvious the way this season has gone Chabot really needs help on his side. Maybe JBD can be that player but at the moment he is well below Drysdale in potential. Unfortunately the drafting of Sanderson will be seen in the future as a good or bad call not based on Sanderson, but based on Drysdale. And Drysdale does not need to hit his ceiling to have been a better pick for Ottawa.

Reactions: Dominance

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
But here is the rub from the Ottawa fans. That statement is entirely not true. He tops out as a #2 D in Ottawa in a defensive pairing. And if Brannstrom becomes as good as the team hopes (which seems doubtful at the moment) then Sanderson is at best 3rd pairing. A lot of fans saw Drysdale as the near perfect accompaniment to Chabot, and it is obvious the way this season has gone Chabot really needs help on his side. Maybe JBD can be that player but at the moment he is well below Drysdale in potential. Unfortunately the drafting of Sanderson will be seen in the future as a good or bad call not based on Sanderson, but based on Drysdale. And Drysdale does not need to hit his ceiling to have been a better pick for Ottawa.

I'm trying to understand this but this makes no sense.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think if you ask sens fans who have watched both Chabot and Sanderson over the past 6 years, Sanderson is way ahead of where Chabot was at 18 years old. Doesn't mean much, but Sanderson's ceiling may be higher, and I bet NHL scouts would probably agree. His constant development and current level of play leave me with no doubts that he'll be a top pairing defender. If you disagree, you probably haven't watched him play much.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Yeah and its not a surprise that a fan from the team that passed on Drysdale by 1 pick above him would be the one jumping on Drysdale after last nights game.
Its the same story with people who were unhappy their team passed on Zegras. They looked for anything to jump at.

The underline is that they need to throw shade at Drysdale to make them feel more confident they got Sanderson instead of him.
Same with Kings fans and having Turcotte instead of Drysdale.

Going into the 2019 draft I had Turcotte 5th and Zegras 6th, so I'm still good on that choice. With the 2020 draft, at 2nd I had Byfield. If the Kings had had the 4th pick, I would of gone with Drysdale. I do have to admit that the ducks have scored with both Zegras and Drysdale. But it's early, very very early.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

This would have been accurate had the Sens actually taken Drysdale instead of Sanderson.

Jake is EXACTLY what the team is missing right now, and has been missing for a long time. A top pairing, two-way D that can eat minutes.

No shade against Drysdale, who has looked great since being drafted, but we needed a Jake Sanderson a lot more than we needed a Jamie Drysdale.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This would have been accurate had the Sens actually taken Drysdale instead of Sanderson.

Jake is EXACTLY what the team is missing right now, and has been missing for a long time. A top pairing, two-way D that can eat minutes.

No shade against Drysdale, who has looked great since being drafted, but we needed a Jake Sanderson a lot more than we needed a Jamie Drysdale.

But I mean Jamie Drysdale also projects as a top pair, two way d who can eat minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad