RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
His offense flashes and has a very high offensive upside but his defensive game needs a lot of work atm and needs to be more consistent(similar to Byram entering his draft year offensively). Still has a year but at this moment Barron is the clear top dman heading into the draft year and Drydale is in the tier with Guhle and Poirier which are all still great dman with high upsides but all 3 have things to prove to enter the top 10. Also Laffy is a Ovi level prospect so he's going #1.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He’ll go in the top 10. I see no weaknesses in his game, but will NHL teams pick a 5’11 defensemen in the top five? I think he should be a 1OA candidate.

If he was 6’1 or 6’2 he definitely would be... I’ll be interested to see an accurate real measurement before the draft because while size isn’t that important anymore, it’s still important and there isn’t a lot of “smaller” defence that are top pairing guys (an outlier will come and it could be him) but 6’0 sort of appears to be the threshold. While it’s not the end all be all, I’d be hesitant to take a 5’11 defence in the top 5, even though I think he can/should be ranked right around there come the draft.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
His offense flashes and has a very high offensive upside but his defensive game needs a lot of work atm and needs to be more consistent(similar to Byram entering his draft year offensively). Still has a year but at this moment Barron is the clear top dman heading into the draft year and Drydale is in the tier with Guhle and Poirier which are all still great dman with high upsides but all 3 have things to prove to enter the top 10. Also Laffy is a Ovi level prospect so he's going #1.

I think Drysdale is #1 with Barron as the #2 D both of whom are in the same tier. With Poirier, Sanderson and Guhle in the next tier of D prospects.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I disagree. I think Drysdale is the clear top d-man right now, and on a similar level as Byram was entering the draft year. The difference in offensive talent is offset at least by Drysdale defensive poise, and that’s coming from a strong advocate of Byram’s two-way capabilities.

Reactions: Starry Knight

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I think Drysdale is #1 with Barron as the #2 D both of whom are in the same tier. With Poirier, Sanderson and Guhle in the next tier of D prospects.

Drysdale is a clear number one in my eyes right now and I don’t see Barron coming close at all.

Helge Grans might be #2 or #3. I would say most Swedes think he is better than Broberg ( although I am not sure about that). Emil Andrae and Helge Grans look like better prospects than Sanderson, Poirier and Guhle in my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I disagree. I think Drysdale is the clear top d-man right now, and on a similar level as Byram was entering the draft year. The difference in offensive talent is offset at least by Drysdale defensive poise, and that’s coming from a strong advocate of Byram’s two-way capabilities.
Drysdale has good offensive upside but needs a lot of work to become reliable in his own end. Barron has just as much offense but has great 200 foot game already and plays a more imposing game. It's like comparing Pietrangelo to Shattenkirk at this moment. By draft day things can change but Barron is in his own tier to me.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Drysdale has good offensive upside but needs a lot of work to become reliable in his own end. Barron has just as much offense but has great 200 foot game already and plays a more imposing game. It's like comparing Pietrangelo to Shattenkirk at this moment. By draft day things can change but Barron is in his own tier to me.
We must have caught different games last year. Without trying to discredit Barron, who I also consider a top-10 pick at this point, I think Drysdale is the more assertive and talented player with the puck on his stick. His outstanding IQ truly jumps out in every facet of the game, and I think he is the better overall skater (again, not taking anything away from Barron). Much like a guy like Ty Smith, but to an even more pronounced degree, his size does not reduce his effectiveness in his own zone or when defending the rush.

Our differing views really just show how talented and closely projectable these two kids are. Definitely the top two d-men entering the season.

Reactions: d rake

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
This upcoming draft is super deep. I think most of the forwards will go first but if there is a team desperate for a defenseman this guy could jump like Hayton in 2018.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He will be good based on his name alone

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This idea that Drysdale can’t play defense is funny. I think he’s the best defensively right now of the top defensemen. Could it be that some perceive defense as a weakness because of his size compared to the size of the others? I don’t see any big weakness in his game, aside from the need to get stronger.

I think Barron is more physically developed, skates as well and is close to as good offensively, but I think the separation between him and Drysdale is defense and hockey IQ. I think those parts of Barron’s game are questionable. He could definitely sort them out, but until he does, I think he’s competing for second defensemen off the board with Poirier. Poirier, like Barron, need to improve defensively, and he probably will, but Drysdale defends better now. I also think Poirier could improve his acceleration and skating speed will be more in the average category.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

I disagree, opinions i guess :) My opinion is that Drysdale > Barron

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm late to this thread but this guy is sick, easily the best dman we've ever seen come through Erie. He reminds me a bit of Travis Dermott (and he has compared himself to Dermott, an Otters alumni), just a much higher ceiling offensively. I think he'll be the top dman in this draft class and go top 5 in 2020.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm late to this thread but this guy is sick, easily the best dman we've ever seen come through Erie. He reminds me a bit of Travis Dermott (and he has compared himself to Dermott, an Otters alumni), just a much higher ceiling offensively. I think he'll be the top dman in this draft class and go top 5 in 2020.

Agreed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
CONGRATS JAMIE!

26-9-2019 11-55-34.jpg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Based on the little I've seen of him he reminds me a lot more of Vince Dunn in juniors. Same typ of skating and offensive game. Needless to say I'm a big fan.

Reactions: Dominance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad