RD Hunter Brzustewicz - Kitchener Rangers, WHL (2023, 75th, VAN; traded to CAL)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
He's 17 and it's a loaded forward group. Eiserman was in the running for an invite but it's not exactly a surprise that he didn't make it.
Hagens must be really damn good if he overtook Eiserman for that spot as a 25' eligible.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s the weakest D they’ve had in a long time.
Fans of the team say the opposite. Last year was so much worse, despite having Luke Hughes. The defense had almost no size on it. This year is a lot more balanced, although left side is still a little weaker. Anyway though, the right side is pretty strong when you can leave off some of those that we did.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hagens must be really damn good if he overtook Eiserman for that spot as a 25' eligible.
To be fair to Eiserman, they were competing for a different spot. Hagens is pretty much taking Cooley’s center spot. Eiserman would’ve been competing with wingers like Howard and Perreault for a spot.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Hockey Canada doesn't exactly embrace NCAA products.
I guess technically Canadians can be just as upset about the Aiden Fink and Bradley Nadeau snubs - they did the BCHL/AJHL->College route. They both were drafted this year and both are performing well-above a ppg pace as rookies. Fink is also a November birthday.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I guess technically Canadians can be just as upset about the Aiden Fink and Bradley Nadeau snubs - they did the BCHL/AJHL->College route. They both were drafted this year and both are performing well-above a ppg pace as rookies. Fink is also a November birthday.

Going through rosters now. Moldenauer and Cornell defenseman George Fegaras might deserve looks, too.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Honestly not that high on him, not sure if his skill will translate to the nhl
yeah, i kinda fear that as well, to be 100% honest

OHL this season, the worst of the 3 in the CHL
the defending and goaltending... pretty garbage

the best gaa goalie is at 2.50
you can get to top 5 with 3.00

no goalie has even .920 sv%
less than dozen goalies with .900 or higher sv%

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
up to 48 pts now in 29 games. On pace for 112 points in the regular season.

# 1 in Dman scoring
# 1 in Assists in OHL
#3 in Overall scoring

Mintyukov led the the OHL last year in Dman scoring at 88 pts

Yeah but you have to understand, Brzustewicz's points this season aren't real points because he doesn't pass the eye-test. Of his 48 points, only around 10-12 of them are legitimate.

Like if you actually watch his games, I don't think he's even their best defenceman. Simon Motew with 16 points in 29 games as an over-ager is the superior player because his play translates better at the NHL level due to intangibles and puck poise.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah but you have to understand, Brzustewicz's points this season aren't real points because he doesn't pass the eye-test. Of his 48 points, only around 10-12 of them are legitimate.

Like if you actually watch his games, I don't think he's even their best defenceman. Simon Motew with 16 points in 29 games as an over-ager is the superior player because his play translates better at the NHL level due to intangibles and puck poise.
Hashtag pleasepleasepleaselikemyprospect

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

Wait.

So his points aren't actually points? But an over ager with 3x less points than him is legitimate because "reasons"?

K

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wait.

So his points aren't actually points? But an over ager with 3x less points than him is legitimate because "reasons"?

K
Looks like the Canucks have a potential top four D coming from this pick. HB is a heck of a pkayer. He’s in Abbotsford next season.

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
brzu is 2 months older than brandt relative to their draft cutoff
I made a webapp specifically to correct for this kind of stuff! Looks like Hunter's point production has been slightly behind Brandt until he started going off recently. Hunter was at the 93rd percentile for point production while Brandt was 96th around their drafts, though it looks like Brandt's season got COVID-interrupted so the sample size is a bit small.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 8.47.47 PM.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd put Brz in about the same category as Jordan Dumais. Good use of a 3rd round pick, love the production, right idea to invest in skill, has seen his stock rise somewhat in a re-draft BUT there are some huge question marks/warts here and I'm going to wait-and-see how he handles the transition to the AHL before I'm getting on any sort of hype train here.

Some of the hype from fellow Canuck fans based on stat-watching is getting carried away '1st round in a re-draft!' and that sort of thing.

It's a hard road to be a small, slow skill defender in the NHL. Rasmus Sandin looks like he'll stick as a useful 4-5 guy and that might be Brz' upside but there aren't many guys like this, and for every Sandin there are a fair few Adam Clendenings.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'd put Brz in about the same category as Jordan Dumais. Good use of a 3rd round pick, love the production, right idea to invest in skill, has seen his stock rise somewhat in a re-draft BUT there are some huge question marks/warts here and I'm going to wait-and-see how he handles the transition to the AHL before I'm getting on any sort of hype train here.

Some of the hype from fellow Canuck fans based on stat-watching is getting carried away '1st round in a re-draft!' and that sort of thing.

It's a hard road to be a small, slow skill defender in the NHL. Rasmus Sandin looks like he'll stick as a useful 4-5 guy and that might be Brz' upside but there aren't many guys like this, and for every Sandin there are a fair few Adam Clendenings.

At the very least he can be used as an awesome trade chip in the future. Keep the stats coming

Would be funny if Team USA invites Hunter now and he makes the team and dominates. Minnetian is one of the Right Handed Dman chosen over Hunter for Team USA

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
At the very least he can be used as an awesome trade chip in the future. Keep the stats coming
Not so sure about that. Teams aren't all that desperate for smaller, slower defenseman, no matter how many points that put up in junior. It's not like he didn't produce in his draft year - 57p in 68gp and still fell to the 3rd round. He's also a late birthday, so he's already 19.

I think Vancouver's best bet is to hold on to him and hopes he can turn into a Shattenkirk type, I don't think the market for him will be that appealing though, until he's proven he can translate his skills to the NHL.

Reactions: NTDP and Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad