RD Hunter Brzustewicz - Kitchener Rangers, WHL (2023, 75th, VAN; traded to CAL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've never seen him play, but he's talked about as the best 2023 draft prospect from the USA by those who have. Right-shot defensemen who apparently plays a complete game. It's obviously too early to say where exactly would be his draft range, but from what I've read, he has the potential to be a top 5-10 pick. He's a late 2004 born player from Michigan. He plays on the same team this year with Rutger McGroarty, who is regarded as the best American draft prospect for the 2022 draft. Brzustewicz will probably play for the NTDP next season.

Hunter Brzustewicz at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like what I've seen from Brzustewicz. He needs to learn to pick his spots a little better, but he has high-end offensive ability to go along with a good defensive game, good size and good skating. He looks like he could eventually be an all-situations player who plays on PP1 and PK1.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's been a bit hit or miss through 2 games for me but his tools are certainly evident, so I understand the hype he's received as a potential high-end prospect, especially as he's very young and just turned 15 less than 2 months ago. I can't imagine he's not with the NTDP next year, and with his tools, he'll be one to watch if he lives up to the hype. I can already see London drafting him in anticipation of setting up the draft year showdown between accelerating for the Wolverines or heading to the OHL.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Is this guy widely considered the best 2023 American prospect?

I think that the 2022 class looks, at this point, like the best the US has ever produced. But I have heard essentially nothing for the following year. It’s early, but what’s the sense for 2023?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is this guy widely considered the best 2023 American prospect?

I think that the 2022 class looks, at this point, like the best the US has ever produced. But I have heard essentially nothing for the following year. It’s early, but what’s the sense for 2023?

I think it's too early to tell. He's not part of the 2005 age group, so he has an earlier start on being discussed. McGroarty, Fleming, Nazar, Casey didn't start getting much hype until around the middle/later part of 2019.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hunter has missed almost the whole season due to injury, but I made sure to watch the only three games he’s played.

I don’t see him as a huge standout in this NTDP age group, but that’s mostly due to that he plays on the same right side as two elite 2022 prospects and he’s a 2023 prospect.

I don’t have much to add to what I’ve said about his skillset. Two way/puck moving type. Can do some of everything. I don’t know that anything is elite and I would say there has to be some ceiling on how high he can go without elite potential, but his game looks the part of an early/mid first round pick in 2023.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brzustewicz looks like the best American player at the Hlinka. I guess we shouldn't be surprised about that, but thats what I thought.

He played likely first round pick for Slovakia in 2022 Simon Nemec pretty even today. They were the two best players on the ice.

Brzustewicz is listed at 5'11. I think if he's 5'11 a year and a half from now, his draft range should be questioned. He's not that dynamic for a defenseman, but I think at 6'0-6'2, he's projecting somewhere right in that 6-16 range for 2023. He probably doesn't have the elite #1D skills to be a top 5 pick, but I think he's a player who looks like a safe projection for the early/mid first round.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I suspect he won't get much hype until a year from now, but I find him very solid. Rarely makes any mistakes defensively, clean with the puck, skates solidly, and has some offense. He's not going to standout as the youngest player on this U18 team and there are more flashy players, but Brzustewicz is like the Henry Thrun of this team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's concerning that he's going to play for Michigan next season.

I doubt he plays a big role next season for Michigan. Probably bottom pair, and little PP/PK. He's also likely behind his NTDP teammate Casey once again on the depth chart.

He'll be one of the youngest players in college hockey. He seems to always be one of the youngest players for his competition.

Part of it was injuries, but he's barely played any hockey the last few years, either due to injuries or that he didn't play very much per game when he wasn't injured.

How is it going to help his draft-stock to once again not play very much? Can he be a first round pick if his stat-line is 10 points in 35 games next season?

We've seen him once for any extended period of time the last two seasons not playing for a super-team (USA U18 at the 2021 Ivan Hlinka), and he was the best defenseman on his team. Did very well there. Now he's going back to playing for a super team.

I'm concerned about his draft-stock going into next season.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I think it's concerning that he's going to play for Michigan next season.

I doubt he plays a big role next season for Michigan. Probably bottom pair, and little PP/PK. He's also likely behind his NTDP teammate Casey once again on the depth chart.

He'll be one of the youngest players in college hockey. He seems to always be one of the youngest players for his competition.

Part of it was injuries, but he's barely played any hockey the last few years, either due to injuries or that he didn't play very much per game when he wasn't injured.

How is it going to help his draft-stock to once again not play very much? Can he be a first round pick if his stat-line is 10 points in 35 games next season?

We've seen him once for any extended period of time the last two seasons not playing for a super-team (USA U18 at the 2021 Ivan Hlinka), and he was the best defenseman on his team. Did very well there. Now he's going back to playing for a super team.

I'm concerned about his draft-stock going into next season.
should go to kitchener for draft year, where he would have a huge role on backend.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Yes..Kitchener fan and would love to see him come. He would 100% be the PP quarterback. And get big minutes.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Headed to Kitchener. Big win for the OHL over Michigan in their never ending tug of war over prospects.

I like this for Hunter, instead of being a very young depth defender on Michigan, he should be a go-to guy and get plenty of special teams work on a high profile OHL franchise before his draft next summer.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
As a Wolverine and Rangers fan this is tough but the right call due to his age and the depth chart at Michigan. More minutes available in Kitchener.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
1st ex game with Rangers yesterday. Hit the post on the PP and had a great scoring chance on a different play. Defensively I didn’t see a mistake but I was expecting quite a bit with him being 17 and I thought was more of an offensive dmen. I was very expressed with his 1st game. Great pick up by the Rangers.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He’s far and away head of Cam Allen imo. I’ve watched a lot of Hunter this year so far and Cam Allen (watching them go head to head right now) and it just doesn’t feel close to me.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not perfect, but he plays a mature game and just has the look of a top 4 NHL D. He makes smart plays, can join the rush, and is patient with the puck. He just makes solid plays. I haven’t watched Gulyayev, but Brzustewicz could be the best D of the draft.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s far and away head of Cam Allen imo. I’ve watched a lot of Hunter this year so far and Cam Allen (watching them go head to head right now) and it just doesn’t feel close to me.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not perfect, but he plays a mature game and just has the look of a top 4 NHL D. He makes smart plays, can join the rush, and is patient with the puck. He just makes solid plays. I haven’t watched Gulyayev, but Brzustewicz could be the best D of the draft.
Looking like a very astute pre-draft move to swap the Wolverines where he’d be one of the youngest players in college and behind guys like Hughes and Casey to go to Kitchener and be a star.

I do think Dragicevic and Price will also have something to say about the “best defenseman” title in this draft as well though!

He’s (Brz) got a younger brother that we will have to keep an eye on down the road!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Looking like a very astute pre-draft move to swap the Wolverines where he’d be one of the youngest players in college and behind guys like Hughes and Casey to go to Kitchener and be a star.

I do think Dragicevic and Price will also have something to say about the “best defenseman” title in this draft as well though!

He’s (Brz) got a younger brother that we will have to keep an eye on down the road!
The fact that Brzustewicz is pretty much the go-to defender on a team that has two drafted Defensemen and several 19 year olds speaks volumes.

Price and Dragicevic are guys I’m going watch closer for sure.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad